LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

TB & WP Done. Another Problem found.

Old 06-02-11, 07:08 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TB & WP Done. Another Problem found.

Hey everyone. Been awhile since I posted. Nevertheless, it's good to be back.
Today I got my cars' major service done. Timing belt, water pump, both pulleys and a pretentioner (including all necessary seals). All pars were bought form Bay Ridge Lexus and came out to $600. Labor was $500 at my mechanic's place. Total of $1100 was much cheaper then $1600 Lexus dealer quoted me.
I also ordered the steering rack bushings (4) $190, which will be here tomorrow.
However my mechanic found a problem. A drivers side transmission shifter seal is leaking, not really bad, but it raises concerns about replacement.
Going to sewel site I could not find any tranny parts. Am I doomed to get a whole new tranny? Or I can get a new seal from the dealer
Old 06-03-11, 05:08 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

gosh.... really ?....
Old 06-03-11, 01:22 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to question your mechanic, but that does not sound right. Did you see where the leak was coming from?
Old 06-04-11, 01:02 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Ok guys, "wipes sweat off the forehead", false alarm. This seal was in stock at the dealer for $10. I bought it and my mechanic installed it along with the steering rack bushings and new denso spark plugs. The leak was definitely from the shifter seal on the drivers side. Now I need to change front lower control arm rear bushings, they have big cracks in them. Will do next week. Labor on bushings, tranny seal and plugs (parts + labor) was $195, which is an awesome price in my opinion.
Total so far spent: $1600 ($1200 service, $400 repairs).
Old 06-04-11, 01:46 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

How many miles on your '01 and can you tell the difference after the steering rack bushings install? It sounds like you're sure taking good care of your LS!
Old 06-04-11, 05:42 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bon
How many miles on your '01 and can you tell the difference after the steering rack bushings install? It sounds like you're sure taking good care of your LS!
Mileage is 105650. Before, I used to feel small and average imperfections on my steering wheel, plus the steering was a little sloppy. While doing the slalom on very slow speed and turning the wheel only a few degrees, my car was going straight, without the hint of turning, wandering on the highway and road waves.
After installation of new bushings, the steering wheel became nice and tight, no more slop in the steering, I cannot feel imperfections transferring to the steering wheel, the slightest steering wheel rotation and the car changes direction at any speed, no more wandering on the highway or road waves.
My mechanic said, to feel a real difference I need to change lower control arm bushings. I will post after i do that.
I actually decided to change those bushings after reading your thread Bon, so thank you very much for sharing.
The big service was brewing for a few months now. But this week I decided to do everything at once, plus check the whole car for its needs.
I love this car, this is my first Lexus. I fell in love with Lexus cars after going to "Taste of Lexus" in 2008 where I drove all Lexus models including LS600hL, a magic carpet ride - it's my dream car now for sure.
Old 06-04-11, 07:31 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool! That's wonderful to hear. I can only imagine how mushy 105K+ bushings feel; Yuk. I replaced my front lower control arm #48655 bushings. I had what I'd call micro cracks in them. I didn't feel any difference at all after I installed then new OEM bushings. These bushings are oil filled and I believe that if they fail-big then they you will see leaking. I did this before changing my steering rack bushings so quite likely I could only feel the slop from the rack bushings.
Old 06-04-11, 08:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Mileage is 105650. Before, I used to feel small and average imperfections on my steering wheel, plus the steering was a little sloppy. While doing the slalom on very slow speed and turning the wheel only a few degrees, my car was going straight, without the hint of turning, wandering on the highway and road waves.
After installation of new bushings, the steering wheel became nice and tight, no more slop in the steering, I cannot feel imperfections transferring to the steering wheel, the slightest steering wheel rotation and the car changes direction at any speed, no more wandering on the highway or road waves.
My mechanic said, to feel a real difference I need to change lower control arm bushings. I will post after i do that.
I actually decided to change those bushings after reading your thread Bon, so thank you very much for sharing.
The big service was brewing for a few months now. But this week I decided to do everything at once, plus check the whole car for its needs.
I love this car, this is my first Lexus. I fell in love with Lexus cars after going to "Taste of Lexus" in 2008 where I drove all Lexus models including LS600hL, a magic carpet ride - it's my dream car now for sure.
Wouldn't it also have been possilbe to check for any steering play while parked and watching the front wheels while every slightly turning the steering wheel?
Old 06-04-11, 09:37 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bon
Cool! That's wonderful to hear. I can only imagine how mushy 105K+ bushings feel; Yuk. I replaced my front lower control arm #48655 bushings. I had what I'd call micro cracks in them. I didn't feel any difference at all after I installed then new OEM bushings. These bushings are oil filled and I believe that if they fail-big then they you will see leaking. I did this before changing my steering rack bushings so quite likely I could only feel the slop from the rack bushings.
Yes! That's exactly the bushings I need to change. They both have big nasty cracks for 2/3 of the circumference of the bushings. So need to change these, then do an alignment. Then I need to change all the inside filters: seat, A/C and rear A/C filters. Also I need to weld a hairline crack on my left rear rim. And finally buff out scratches, wax and polish the whole car.
That should complete preparation for Summer and long trips that may come with it.

Bocatrip
Yes, I did that too and there was alot of slop.