LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Glove Box Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 10:31 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Glove Box Alignment Issue

So I dropped the lower glove box for the sake of routing wire (read: RCA and remote wire, so nothing thick like the 4 gauge I'll be running some time tomorrow/day after) and I basically left it hanging there by a little yellow tube-type thing (my dad somehow convinced me not to take the glove box out...) for the duration of a night and much of today, and drove around with it. Now, when I reassemble the glove box with all the screws/nuts/bolts (well, I'm missing one but I've found it, though I don't think it may effect the alignment much without it) it doesn't align flush and actually hits the side leather bit, making it really hard to open/close the glove box without forcefully pushing it closed. The leather on the upper glove box door is beginning to come undone as well...

Could the glove box have warped from the sunlight/heat?

Pictures:

Lower glove box closed.

Lower glove box opened.

Left side of lower glove box, opened. Here you can see a view of the bolt I am missing (but found and will install tomorrow - the "hidden panel" bolt behind the lower glove box).

Upper glove box closed. It seems as though the leather is coming apart from the door itself and it also gets caught on the lower glove box. Any ideas on fixes?

Upper glove box opened. Here you can see more of what I described above about the leather on the lid.

This is all fairly irritating for me since today was filled with all sorts of (positive) progress (wires ran, sub mounted/wired, cables crimped, literally power/ground connection away from being done) and moreso since this heavily detracts from the supposedly seamless install that I've spent nearly 4 days working on, as of now. (about 3 days longer than most people who've done it on here)

Last edited by Sc0pe; 09-30-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 11:14 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 95 when i dropped the glove box to replace the ECU.

Assuming the 98+ glove boxes are mounted in a similar fashion, there are both screws and plastic snappy clip things on the back. Well, when I pulled mine, some of the clips snapped and bent sideways, which caused the whole thing to go back in all crooked and stupid.

Kinda funny as they are absolutely unnessisary since there are screws holding it in as well, but once i backed it out then saw and corrected the hangup, it went back in just as it had been before.
Old 09-30-13, 11:18 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

not meaning to be a monday morning quarterback here, but two things related to good mechanic's practices:

● never leave anything hanging there by a little yellow tube-type thing that wasn't hanging there from the factory

and

● take the friggin glove box out next time, it takes like 4 minutes tops and you wouldn't have this alignment fouled up now

Father doesn't always know best!

As far as your alignment issues, I don't think it was the heat, take it apart again, and reinstall it, after locating ALL of the fasteners (none are optional) and slow down and try to understand the engineering as you reassemble it, I think you have something popped out or not installed straight and true, because you got in a bit of a hurry to get done, it's common at the end of a long project!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-30-13 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 11:47 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I had a similar issue on my 95 when i dropped the glove box to replace the ECU.

Assuming the 98+ glove boxes are mounted in a similar fashion, there are both screws and plastic snappy clip things on the back. Well, when I pulled mine, some of the clips snapped and bent sideways, which caused the whole thing to go back in all crooked and stupid.

Kinda funny as they are absolutely unnessisary since there are screws holding it in as well, but once i backed it out then saw and corrected the hangup, it went back in just as it had been before.
Yeah, once I'm back home tomorrow, I will DEFINITELY check this out. Thank you for the heads up. Should I post pictures of the clips here?

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
not meaning to be a monday morning quarterback here, but two things related to good mechanic's practices:

● never leave anything hanging there by a little yellow tube-type thing that wasn't hanging there from the factory

and

● take the friggin glove box out next time, it takes like 4 minutes tops and you wouldn't have this alignment fouled up now

Father doesn't always know best!

As far as your alignment issues, I don't think it was the heat, take it apart again, and reinstall it, after locating ALL of the fasteners (none are optional) and slow down and try to understand the engineering as you reassemble it, I think you have something popped out or not installed straight and true, because you got in a bit of a hurry to get done, it's common at the end of a long project!
Yeah, I know, an extremely noob mistake - I'm still facepalming as I type this...
Old 10-01-13, 12:10 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you think you have broken or bent any of the "plastic snappy clip things" as Yoshi so eloquently put it, don't be afraid to order more of those online at the online dealership or the local dealership, or even grab a handful while at the pull-a-part junkyard next time
Old 10-01-13, 12:28 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

if you think you have broken or bent any of the "plastic snappy clip things" as Yoshi so eloquently put it, don't be afraid to order more of those online at the online dealership or the local dealership, or even grab a handful while at the pull-a-part junkyard next time
Dully noted, but any ideas on the upper glove box trim? Last I checked, that wasn't even having a problem prior to me removing the lower glove box.
Old 10-01-13, 01:19 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I personally just go really slow on trim work, because it is easy to rush it and get these kinds of problems, if you saw me putting trim back together, you would say "Dude, you are SOOO friggin slow, just get it done already!" - but that is the only way I can make it look like new is to go slow and study the logic behind the factory thinking!

oh yeah, and plenty of fresh new "plastic snappy clip things"
Old 10-01-13, 01:37 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

I personally just go really slow on trim work, because it is easy to rush it and get these kinds of problems, if you saw me putting trim back together, you would say "Dude, you are SOOO friggin slow, just get it done already!" - but that is the only way I can make it look like new is to go slow and study the logic behind the factory thinking!

oh yeah, and plenty of fresh new "plastic snappy clip things"
Well, so far, from studying Lexus' factory work, I imagine the engine is held by a clip somewhere but really though, these cars are built like tanks, and are designed in such a way that everything is reinforced, whether by a small clip or a (hidden) bolt. It also makes me slightly envy those with "simpler" cars
Old 10-01-13, 02:23 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This was one reason why my cap fix took long, getting the glove box aligned right relative to the striker position. Like getting the doors/hood/trunk aligned, a small incremental adjustment will align it right. If it is angled as it is, the fastener to adjust is the opposite side. You'll also see where the prior screw was fastened, it has to go back into the same spot. Breaking retainer clips doesn't help because now it does not have a reference spot. You'll get it in. I've manged many parts learning along the way too.
Old 10-01-13, 08:53 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

...the "plastic snappy clip things" as Yoshi so eloquently put it....
That made me Laugh out loud!

The Retaining clips i was talking about were not replaceable in my case, as a few of the actual plastic clip protrusions on the back of the glovebox had snapped clean off. Even with using the proper trim removal tools and following the Factory Service manual it is still tricky to get those puppies out intact. Since there are screws that ultimately secure it to the car, there are no squeaks or rattles coming from mine.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 10-01-13 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 10:23 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update, that "bolt" I supposedly found was apparently a bit from my ratchet set sooooo, the bolt is still at large lol. Tomorrow, when I pull the glove box again, I'll play around a bit with bending the clips correctly.