LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix

Old 07-19-10, 04:35 AM
Rice4eveR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix

09-17-2015... Ive had quite a few people contact me about this post over the years. A few years ago I didn't reload the redirect hosted images. I got tired of people being critical on this form about language or whatever... so I felt like I no longer cared or wanted to contribute my knowledge and how-to's to this forum/Lexus community. I actually forgot about this post for years but someone hit me up the other day about it. In an attempt to stop people from contacting me I thought I'd come back and fix the links for you guys, but I see a moderator already came and did the job. The new images are on page 6 and 7. I no longer own a Lexus and don't remember anything about repairing these vehicles, so I'd appreciate no future contact or questions about fixing stuffs (Seriously)! good luck

Rice
Brough Performance
Oakland, ca.

How to fix 93-94 LS400 $3.00 Cluster Flicker and Gas needles
*For people with some technical knowledge only* Do this at your own risk!*

Hi... My name is Rice. I wasn't gonna pay 1200 bux to get my 93 ls400 Lexus cluster to stop flickering and my gas gauge working again! Here is my permanent fix. It cost me $3 or $4 bucks!

Here is my cluster. I just took it out and I'm ready to get to work! The whole job took me 12-15 mins but I was a technician for like 15 years so please take your time!

Back of the cluster. take the white plastic cover off. It is held together with 10 or so screws!

I bought these capacitors from Frys electronics. If you don't have a Frys near you then hop your *** on www.Frys.com and order them by the part numbers provided below!
[IMG][/IMG]

The labels with prices and part numbers

Unsolder (from the top side) capacitor from c212 that is located on the small board and replace with a 10 uf (10mfd) 16 volt capacitor.

Do the same for c142 and c147 located on the big board! C142 is to be replaced with new capacitor 4.7 Uf 25 volt and c147 is to be replaced with 10uf 50 volt.

Super small

Bend and cut the legs into feet like the one below

Don't burn yourself with the iron!

Yeah like the pic says... I screwed up and ripped off the copper lead rushing, so I took a probe and scratched the green coating off the board so that I could have a new spot to solder

Looks great and doesn't flicker anymore, cold or hot! I hope I don't make the dudes that charge hella money on eBay mad... but ****um! half of them charge to much for the service anywaY!

As always I had a blast teaching you somethin' new!
Thank you for reading!

Rice

Last edited by Rice4eveR; 09-17-15 at 08:09 AM. Reason: removed promotion
Old 07-19-10, 06:19 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

no thanks, your language is terrible and should be deleted
Old 07-19-10, 06:33 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rice4ever,

First, welcome to Club lexus. Your writeup was very informative. However, a little more info is needed. How did you know the areas in which you needed to change out the capacitors? How are those to know that this is the same issue that is causing their flickering problem? When you do a writeup, a preface can work wonders in order for the reader to put stock into your methods before they go in an tackle their similar problem. I applaud your efforts though in trying to help out fellow club lexus members. This is a great forum, but remember who your target audience is. I would suggest cleaning up your post a bit, because I can assure you the vast majority of CL members are not going to respect your writeups, no matter how informative they are if they are bothered by the language. Anyway, lecture is over. Welcome to the forum and don't get banned for something trivial and avoidable like language.

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 07-19-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 07:43 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Rice4ever,

This is a great forum, but remember who your target audience audience is. I would suggest cleaning up your post a bit, because I can assure you the vast majority of CL members are not going to respect your writeups, no matter how informative they are if they are bothered by the language.
Mind your language!
Old 07-19-10, 08:05 AM
whiteivory
Pole Position

Thanks rice, for your post.

Very informative, and detailed, although I don't know if a lot of users are skilled enough to attempt this type of fix.
I know I'm not lol.

And welcome to CL
Old 07-19-10, 12:40 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Good write up!
Old 07-19-10, 12:52 PM
SRV1
Driver

I would recommend anyone to save the page in case it gets deleted. I have a funny feeling it will......
Old 07-19-10, 12:53 PM
McSwine
Driver

Good job.

And I thought the commentary was hilarious.
Old 07-19-10, 01:27 PM
pax217
Driver School Candidate

Yeah this is the best write up/pics so far. Nice and condensed. Good work.
Old 07-19-10, 02:17 PM
Rice4eveR
Driver School Candidate

WOw... I apologize about being from the "Texting" generation. my language can be a bit rough at times. In an attempt to write something that would help people save money and gain appreciation for their cars I got complaints about my language! I don't care if you like it or not... Take the knowledge and information and run with it!

PS Lexus owners seem to act like poor Porsche people!

Oh and someone email me a question about this...

How did I ever manage to find a Momo steering wheel hub for the Ls400\Sc400 when they don't make them?!?! The trick is to use a 96-00 Civic EK hub. you can even use the $10 kind on ebay! its a direct fit but you have to figure out how to wire the horn up... thats the only tricky part.

Thanks again all!

Last edited by Rice4eveR; 07-19-10 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added steering wheel stuff
Old 07-19-10, 04:02 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need more people like you here. Thanks!

Ignore the haters, they are just afraid. Please continue contributing.
Old 07-19-10, 05:48 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice4eveR
WOw... I apologize about being from the "Texting" generation. my language can be a bit rough at times. In an attempt to write something that would help people save money and gain appreciation for their cars I got complaints about my language! I don't care if you like it or not... Take the knowledge and information and run with it!

PS Lexus owners seem to act like poor Porsche people!

Oh and someone email me a question about this...

How did I ever manage to find a Momo steering wheel hub for the Ls400\Sc400 when they don't make them?!?! The trick is to use a 96-00 Civic EK hub. you can even use the $10 kind on ebay! its a direct fit but you have to figure out how to wire the horn up... thats the only tricky part.

Thanks again all!
your original post was nice and informative but the bolded was a little immature. sorry if us Lexus guys tend to be more civilized and mature than your average honda/ricer burner crowd. if this thread was reported to a mod im sure your pics would have been deleted and possibly the thread.
Old 07-20-10, 03:13 AM
Rice4eveR
Driver School Candidate

funny... I'am a honda guy by heart (you can probably tell right!??!). Personally I think Toyota makes Shi**y cars with average engineering, but really brilliant marketing strategies in order to make booshie people think their leather-ed Camrys are Mercedes Benzs.

*Note* Hopefully people have a since of humor and don't get offended by the comment that I just posted. And hopefully I wont have to start putting this note at the bottom of every post!

Everyone have a blessed and productive day!
Rice
www.Rice4eveR.com

"Reason for Editing:
I mispelled something. Fellow Lexus owners tend to think mispelling a word is an immature "Honda Civic guy" kinda thing"

*Note #2* Like OMG! A 2 joke combo

*Note #3* Oh gosh darnit! Its *Sense of humor* not since! I hope I don't get fired!

Last edited by Rice4eveR; 07-20-10 at 03:32 AM. Reason: i misspelled something. fellow lexus owners this misspelling is an immature honda kinda thing!
Old 07-20-10, 06:34 AM
bmoore
Rookie

Good posts, Rice. Don't worry about the reception, a lot of us aren't as uptight as the vocal complainers.
Old 07-20-10, 08:35 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

weird thing is i performed this exact fix to my old cluster and the gas gauge still would jump around. the speedo needle was broken(was like this when i bought the car) so when i got the new cluster i took the old one out completely instead of just swapping the gauge needle assembly. does anyone know what other component going bad would cause the gas gauge to not work? the new cluster all works perfect except the gas gauge. i didnt bother to perform this fix as it didnt work on my last cluster at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix