LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 ---How do these handle in the snow espescially when comapred to FWD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 05:23 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 LS400 ---How do these handle in the snow espescially when comapred to FWD!

Hope you are all doing well!

My 'new' 98 LS400 handles soo smoothly. Everything is done so very effortlessly even passing other slowpokes on the highway at 140MPH!!!

I'm kind of worried about the winter months here in Canada though. We usually have very slippery,snowy, and even icy roads here.

I've also never ever had a RWD car. OMG

My last car was a 96 Volvo 850 Turbo...FWD of course...it handled well in the snow....It didn't have VSC or traction. It only had ABS.

To be honest the Volvo had a Tracs feature...but it did more harm than good ,so I always turned it off.

Will my LS400 be alright?

How effective is the traction control and the VSC? Do they work well together?

All of your insights will be much appreciated!

Last edited by lexuslspro; 07-10-10 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-10-10, 08:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Your location currently says "GA" (Georgia?). Should it be "CA" (Canada?).

There are plenty of past threads about how the 98-00 LS handles in snow.

IMO ... without winter tires = BAD .... with winter tires = FUN.

I'm about to buy a new set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 winter tires at Costco to replace my worn out Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires. The new WS-70 model winter tire is available beginning this month (July 2010).

There are other great winter tires (with the mountain/snowflake logo on the sidewall) but I'll be buying another set of Blizzaks based on the incredible winter performance of the WS-50 tires I've used on my 00 LS the past seven winters.
Old 07-10-10, 08:55 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Hey Kansas,

I live in Georgia part of the year...the winter months(and a few others) I spend in Canada.

Thanks for the advice. I'll search the forum.
Old 07-10-10, 08:59 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without winter/snow tires, the LS400 is barely manageable.
Old 07-10-10, 10:24 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1999 LS400 in winter

I live in Colorado Rockies and here snow tires area must. I have been using Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on OEM 16" wheels and happy with the tires - good snow traction and quiet on dry asphalt. Does anyone know how these tires compare to Bridgestone? I am tempted to buy a set of Bridgestones, since my Dunlops have 3 seasons on them and I want to have new or near new tires in winter (unlike summer tires - 6-7/32" is still OK, in winter in the mountains you have to have good tires - 8-9/32" at least).
Old 07-11-10, 05:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by valex
I live in Colorado Rockies and here snow tires area must. I have been using Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on OEM 16" wheels and happy with the tires - good snow traction and quiet on dry asphalt. Does anyone know how these tires compare to Bridgestone? I am tempted to buy a set of Bridgestones, since my Dunlops have 3 seasons on them and I want to have new or near new tires in winter (unlike summer tires - 6-7/32" is still OK, in winter in the mountains you have to have good tires - 8-9/32" at least).
The following link to Tire Rack has ratings for all the winter tires they currently have in stock: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Your Winter Sport M3 tires are highly rated and slightly higher rated than the Bridgestone WS-60 tires which are being replaced in size 225/60-16 with the WS-70 model. According to an advance copy of the sizing chart I got from Bridgestone last Spring, the 225/60-16 and a number of other sizes will come in model WS-70 while some sizes will continue in the WS-60.

As of today, Tire Rack has only two 225/60-16 Blizzak WS-60 tires in stock on closeout so they may drop off the above linked web page soon.

Costco has a $70 off deal on a set of four Bridgestone tires from July 15 through August 18. I bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires at Costco early this year during a similar $70 offer and the total price with local tax was substantially less than anyplace else I checked including Internet sellers where I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. The shipping cost was the deal killer at Internet sellers and of course I get cash back on purchases from Costco at the end of the year so that makes buying tires from Costco even better.

And, yes, I am a Costco shareholder.
Old 07-11-10, 08:02 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Horrible without good tires

This past winter season here in the northeast I hated driving in the snow, much less trying to get out of a parking space with less than an inch of ice or snow on the ground. The LS would not budge, but now I have 4 brand new Yokohama HTR+. I'm ready for next season
Old 07-11-10, 08:15 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

That's too bad. How well does VSC along with traction control work? Does the system actually help you avoid dangerous situations?

Thanks alot. I'm gonna check out tire rack for some NICE SNOW tire specials.
Old 07-12-10, 12:40 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I am actually quite impressed with my '95 LS in the snow.

I've had it through about 3 Indiana winters with all season (Pirelli P6) tires. No, it isn't a 4wd SUV but it fares quite well. The only problem I had was when a sheet of ice covered our driveway. We had freezing rain.

The LS400 was clicking and banging (Traction Control) all the way into the garage. I had to build up speed to get over the hump. Sadly, my GTO was outside at the time too and even with its traction control engaged it was just sitting in one spot not moving.
Old 07-12-10, 02:06 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

My '97 isn't TERRIBLE in the snow, as long as there isn't any more than a couple inches. Of course, I take off my 20s" and put my stock 16s" back on.

But it is fun to go sliding across an empty parking lot when it starts getting slick
Old 07-12-10, 02:28 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

I do have to say the LS400 is the smoothest car to drift in the snow with.
Old 07-12-10, 07:02 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Having something heavy in trunk or passengers in rear seat helps getting good traction in snow. Keep your gas tank full - additional weight.
Last winter I couldn`t get up a friend`s steep driveway(ice under about 2-3" of snow), called 3 guys that were in the house and asked them to sit in the rear seat. With additional 500lb I got up with first try.
Old 07-12-10, 10:15 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
That's too bad. How well does VSC along with traction control work? Does the system actually help you avoid dangerous situations?

Thanks alot. I'm gonna check out tire rack for some NICE SNOW tire specials.
VSC and Trac is great together, it applies the brakes to the necessary wheels and cuts of the throttle during a spin out or fish-tail. I actually tried it on a large patch of ice and this beeping sound came on. The LS straighted itself out, and my heart was pounding after that. So yes I avoided ending up in the ditch on a lonely GA road. Great feature!
Old 07-13-10, 05:37 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Your location currently says "GA" (Georgia?). Should it be "CA" (Canada?).

There are plenty of past threads about how the 98-00 LS handles in snow.

IMO ... without winter tires = BAD .... with winter tires = FUN.

I'm about to buy a new set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 winter tires at Costco to replace my worn out Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires. The new WS-70 model winter tire is available beginning this month (July 2010).

There are other great winter tires (with the mountain/snowflake logo on the sidewall) but I'll be buying another set of Blizzaks based on the incredible winter performance of the WS-50 tires I've used on my 00 LS the past seven winters.

What area of Kansas do you live? I am south central and we get some snow in spurts. Was wondering the same thing about snow driving in these cars. But its not my daily driver so i am thinking a good set of all season tires would work.
Old 07-13-10, 11:39 AM
kimanh
Rookie

i drove this in the the winter with the oem all season tires and it drives find as long u drive slow and carfully with the snow traction on. now if ur going up hill with lots of snow or ice then u might have some problem but beside that, i got around just fine.

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 ---How do these handle in the snow espescially when comapred to FWD!