LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 09:46 PM
ponpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What engineering feature or problem might Lexus (Toyota) use to explain sticking the starter down in the engine under the intake manifold please? In the "old days" starter removal was so simple. Thanks.
Old 01-17-08, 12:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

in the "old days" most V8s werent DOHC.
Old 01-24-09, 09:57 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

god damn, thought that my 92 300zx was hard. this is a nightmare.
Old 01-24-09, 10:22 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ugh funnny i posted that response...i had to do this myself in my driveway...what a pain that was.
Old 01-24-09, 11:34 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how I missed this thread when doing research before starting on my 95. I too got frustrated by the No. 1 (lower) EGR pipe and ended up not even taking out the starter. Yes, I decided I didn't need to hold the starter in my hand if all I was doing was replacing the contacts and plunger which I bought (the "kit") from Adam at Nations Auto Electric: http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html.

I used a brush and vacuum to clean out the dust. To get better access to the solenoid to replace the contacts, I removed the motor assembly. I did a stupid thing and turned it upside down while cleaning and let the armature fall out. The brushes are spring loaded so I couldn't get the armature back in. I didn't feel comfortable removing the commutator end so I took it to a place that rebuilds starters. They cleaned the armature with emery cloth on a lathe and didn't see anything wrong with the brushes so I felt good about starter motor before reattaching it. Best of all, they did it for free!! If you live in the metro Phoenix area, go to Northline Rebuilders, they'll take care of you.

It's been a month now and no problems.

Here is a picture with the motor removed from the starter assembly:
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-img_9047-800x600.jpg  

Last edited by AzHotLS; 01-24-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-24-09, 11:35 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

This picture shows the new contacts installed.
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-img_9055-800x600.jpg  
Old 01-24-09, 04:36 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I originally wanted to go this route and replace the worn contacts on the starter, but upon closer analysis and having the new contacts in the old starter, it still wasn't turning. Turns out the bearing on the spring loaded arm was sticking and worn out.

But yes, this job was a PITA.
Old 01-25-09, 06:16 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

I intially thought about replacing the contacts, but wasn't comfortable with the other parts working correctly. Since I was in there I just decided its better to change out the whole unit. Boy do I miss my '95
Old 01-26-09, 10:07 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

I don't necessarily recommend not removing the starter like what I did (didn't), I just wanted to share my experience and that it is an option. Since the starter went straight from no problems to click click, it had to be the contacts alone. Because I took the motor assy to a shop and got their blessing, I did feel comfortable that my efforts wouldn't be wasted once I got it all back together. Boy do I NOT miss my '90, The 95 is a definate upgrade!
Old 01-26-09, 05:59 PM
91 LS400
Rookie

AzHotLS thanks4 the cheap tip...nice pics thats what I would do 2 camerys @ the used car lots I have worked @ did u get new intake gaskets?
Old 01-26-09, 08:32 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

I did but I chewed up the lower set when trying to install the lower manifold and fuel rail. Being late at night on the weekend, another tough choice to make...... reuse the original set. I did use the new uppers. The reason I chewed up the lower is because of a bracket (pointed out in the pic below) that extends forward from the coolant bridge. In hindsight, I probably should have removed the bolt holding it in place. I loosened it and bent it back as far as I could, as much as the wire harness would allow. The fuel return pipe also needed to be loosened towards the drivers side (I did get that bolt off).

Once out of the way, the lower manifold was able to be put back into place.

This bordered being hack job on my part, but it was the best I could do and so far no ill effects. As you can see I had removed the bolt holding the coolant bridge in place before I realized I couldn't remove it because of the lower EGR pipe. This created another concern as debris could have gotten in there preventing a good seal when bolting it back down.
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-crossover-pipe-bracket-2.jpg  

Last edited by AzHotLS; 01-26-09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 08:49 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AzHotLS
I don't necessarily recommend not removing the starter like what I did (didn't), I just wanted to share my experience and that it is an option. Since the starter went straight from no problems to click click, it had to be the contacts alone. Because I took the motor assy to a shop and got their blessing, I did feel comfortable that my efforts wouldn't be wasted once I got it all back together. Boy do I NOT miss my '90, The 95 is a definate upgrade!
Your shared experience well appreciated. I have a '98 now and I dread having to do another starter job, but it probably won't be so hard as 95-97. I got it back in November with 141,000K on the clock, so far so good. There was a LS in Florida I was looking at b4 I made my purchase and the dealer told me the starter had to be replaced at 90K. That was a turn off and I chose the LS with higher miles, plus it has black interior. I Love it!
Old 02-07-09, 12:14 AM
el maestro
Driver

so what did you end up doing about the injector clips that broke off?? Because i swear to god almost every clip i touched broke.

Also im in the process of taking my passenger side cat off but i cant get that third bolt off

Howd you go about that?
Old 02-07-09, 12:28 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by el maestro
so what did you end up doing about the injector clips that broke off?? Because i swear to god almost every clip i touched broke.

Also im in the process of taking my passenger side cat off but i cant get that third bolt off

Howd you go about that?
I used black silicone around the perimeter of the clip and it made a nice water tight seal, kept the clips in place nicely.

I would torch the 3rd bolt then try to work it again.
Old 02-08-09, 04:47 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by el maestro

Howd you go about that?
I used two extension bars and got it from behind. Basically I went up underneath the right front passenger side and was able to see the bolt. I don't think there is any other way.

Quick Reply: 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress