ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present-289/)
-   -   Anything to look for/expect? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present/912862-anything-to-look-for-expect.html)

Thomasin 02-28-19 12:24 PM

Anything to look for/expect?

Hi, everyone! I am impressed by the whole-new level spindle grill design of LS500 last week when I visited the dealer for my 02' LS430's 100K service. Having also own a 10' LS460, I wonder if these are also persistent problems for LS500?

1) Wind noise during highway cruising speed
2) Premature wear of door panels and centre console
3) Actuator failure (it is very expensive for my 02' LS.... as far as I recall about $650)
4) Mark Levinson amplifier failure (not happened to my 10' LS yet, thank god)

I think it is fair to say some LS500 owners also own / owned the predecessor LS460. In what aspects do you consider LS500 superior?

One aspect that impedes me from getting a 13'/14' model upgrade is the navigation screen. Instead of being readily accessible like the 07'-12' model, those from >13' requires operation using a "mouse-like" structure. Not sure if this is retained as well in LS500?

It is very seldom to see the L version on the road (Mine is a base, ML-loaded RWD). Is it also true for LS500?

Any inputs are appreciated! Thanks guys! I am currently in a position to choose between getting a mortgage and car loan (I am certain my girlfriend is not happy with the later choice). The 5-year 0% APR from Houston dealerships is very tempting!

bigblack06 03-01-19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasin (Post 10453675)
Hi, everyone! I am impressed by the whole-new level spindle grill design of LS500 last week when I visited the dealer for my 02' LS430's 100K service. Having also own a 10' LS460, I wonder if these are also persistent problems for LS500?

3) Actuator failure (it is very expensive for my 02' LS.... as far as I recall about $650)

I think it is fair to say some LS500 owners also own / owned the predecessor LS460. In what aspects do you consider LS500 superior?

One aspect that impedes me from getting a 13'/14' model upgrade is the navigation screen. Instead of being readily accessible like the 07'-12' model, those from >13' requires operation using a "mouse-like" structure. Not sure if this is retained as well in LS500?

It is very seldom to see the L version on the road (Mine is a base, ML-loaded RWD). Is it also true for LS500?

Any inputs are appreciated! Thanks guys! I am currently in a position to choose between getting a mortgage and car loan (I am certain my girlfriend is not happy with the later choice). The 5-year 0% APR from Houston dealerships is very tempting!

So first off not sure if I read that correctly you have only 100K on a 2002 LS 430 that is amazing.

Simply put most of your questions are to early to predict as the car is in its infancy, there is no wind noise though. I can say that the navigation is a getting used to aspect, the mouse is replaced with a touch pad which I hardly use but when I do most of everything over shoots. I would get the house first a car is a depreciating asset the house it something that can be with you for a while. Then get the car after as that will also show up on your report when the bank looks it up and sees a major purchase, just my 2 cents

vantage78 03-03-19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasin (Post 10453675)

no wind noise. Too early to tell for the other questions regarding wear, but 3000 miles in, everything is still holding up as new (as it should be). Lux interior option is a must.

No experience with previous LS gens. I’m coming from a W221. Not a fair comparison as the LS is the latest gen vs older model. The LS is significantly sportier; the s class was squishy. I feel the bullseye was aimed at the panamera not the other luxo barges. Build quality and materials are top notch. Reputation for reliability is one of the main reasons why i switched. I had the upgraded B&O in the merc, and the ML sound I feel is better; crisper and better clarity. No complaints on power, just doesn’t sound as good as a V8. Love the different drive modes; sport plus feels great. The design is spectacular. Spindle grill design language works with the LS. Car stands out, in a good way.

All LSs are now long wheelbase. Mouse touch takes a bit to get used to, but I don’t think it’s bad at all. I appreciate the little details (seatbelt inserts that extend, softclose doors that work silently and grabs even at the slightest close, door sill cutouts that block out the rain, etc). Massage feature actually works very well, not just some weak air bladders that inflate/deflate. Complaints: Run flat tires, interior space isn’t maximized, trunk height is short, no remote trunk close from the inside.

Your call at the end of the day, but I agree with going for the mortgage option.