ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present-289/)
-   -   Big delay when flooring. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present/910907-big-delay-when-flooring.html)

bigblack06 02-06-19 03:07 AM

Big delay when flooring.

Wondering if anyone else has had this occur to them. When I accelerate and then have to stop abrupt due to a non attentive driver and then floor it to be away from them, I have had a longer delay than usual. Delays of around a couple seconds. Also yes I know of the transmission TSB I had than done already, this is mostly after the car is warm. It is as if the car is thinking still whether to stop or go after I have depressed the brake.

vantage78 02-06-19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigblack06 (Post 10431453)
Wondering if anyone else has had this occur to them. When I accelerate and then have to stop abrupt due to a non attentive driver and then floor it to be away from them, I have had a longer delay than usual. Delays of around a couple seconds. Also yes I know of the transmission TSB I had than done already, this is mostly after the car is warm. It is as if the car is thinking still whether to stop or go after I have depressed the brake.

Which mode are you in? Sport plus?

bigblack06 02-06-19 05:35 AM

Normal mode

Damage 02-06-19 01:05 PM

I had that happen recently also. The throttle by wire system doesn't register input after the stop so stepping on the gas does nothing for at least 2 seconds. Felt like an eternity when you're in the middle of traffic. I'm in ECO mode so I don't think it has to do with the mode you're in.

bigblack06 02-06-19 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Damage (Post 10432011)
I had that happen recently also. The throttle by wire system doesn't register input after the stop so stepping on the gas does nothing for at least 2 seconds. Felt like an eternity when you're in the middle of traffic. I'm in ECO mode so I don't think it has to do with the mode you're in.

Yep that is exactly how it feels spot on, hopefully they will have a fix for this wondering if I should bring this up to dealership.

nsaldanh 02-07-19 06:24 AM

The more people who report the issue the better the chances of Lexus addressing it. I haven't noticed this as yet though. If I come to a stop in traffic or at a light I am typically waiting for the traffic to start moving or the light to change, so maybe I haven't been in the circumstance that you lay out above.

Damage 02-07-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by nsaldanh (Post 10432740)
The more people who report the issue the better the chances of Lexus addressing it. I haven't noticed this as yet though. If I come to a stop in traffic or at a light I am typically waiting for the traffic to start moving or the light to change, so maybe I haven't been in the circumstance that you lay out above.

The scenario is if you do a sudden stop and then immediately try and go again. In my scenario I was in traffic and the car ahead of me braked and so I had to do a rapid stop (not enough to engage abs or anything), so when I went to almost a full stop, I tried to hop into the next lane which had a small opening. When I stepped on the gas again to dart out of my lane, there was no response for a good couple of seconds. So try doing a sudden stop and then gas it again quickly.

nsaldanh 02-08-19 04:56 AM

Ok. Good point. Luckily I haven't had that happen to me as yet. Maybe I'll try this out on a deserted road and see what happens.

LexRuger 02-09-19 10:17 AM

I remember reading another car forum years about throttle lag. Someone stated modern cars with electronic throttles have a safety feature that limits full throttle at the beginning of WOT to prevent wear and tear on the drivetrain. I wonder if this is true and the reason for the LS' delay?

bigblack06 02-20-19 03:17 AM

So update, I got a call from corporate in regards to this problem and was told to bring into dealer to make sure everything is working properly. Guess we will see if this can be fixed or not, will keep you all posted.

sydtoosic 02-23-19 05:53 AM

there r 10 gears am I right ??? could be throttle lag as u have said, although my guess is gear lag. gears r trying to catch up with throttle response. if that makes sense. that happened in my 13. don't think I remember it happening in the GS.

bigblack06 02-24-19 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by sydtoosic (Post 10448723)
there r 10 gears am I right ??? could be throttle lag as u have said, although my guess is gear lag. gears r trying to catch up with throttle response. if that makes sense. that happened in my 13. don't think I remember it happening in the GS.

It makes sense, just wish they had a fix as its more dangerous when you expect the power to be there.

Kennyr44 02-24-19 08:56 PM

Electronic throttle is a big compromise. I remenber when they came out in the cars I was working on. Felt like a death trap compared to the immediate responce from the good old no problem throttle cables. Progress. The multi speed transmissions are better in many ways but backward in their lack of immediate punch.
My Ls460 almost got me killed once when the electronic throttle didn’t give me the here right now power I needed in a scary situation.

dsc07 02-25-19 09:49 PM

I hate to say it, but I don't think you have to floor it to experience this issue. I notice it when coming to brief stops at stop signs or turning right on red. There seems to be an intentional delay of a second or so after coming to a stop. If you come to a complete stop and sit there for more than 2 or 3 seconds, then there is no issue. But if you come to a complete stop, then immediately go forward, you get a very sluggish acceleration for a second or so before the power kicks in, and when it does, there's a significant lurch forward.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've got 22,000 miles now and it seems like the transmission is getting worse as the miles go by. Or maybe it's because it's winter now and it's just the way it handles in cold weather, but in either case, Lexus needs to fix this. My car is driving like crap in the city.

Damage 02-25-19 10:14 PM

It's probably same thing. It's a lag in throttle response by the throttle by wire system. Quick stops and immediate gas results in a second or 2 delay. I sure hope it's not intentional as part of a durability thing to preserve the transmission.

Originally Posted by dsc07 (Post 10451108)
I hate to say it, but I don't think you have to floor it to experience this issue. I notice it when coming to brief stops at stop signs or turning right on red. There seems to be an intentional delay of a second or so after coming to a stop. If you come to a complete stop and sit there for more than 2 or 3 seconds, then there is no issue. But if you come to a complete stop, then immediately go forward, you get a very sluggish acceleration for a second or so before the power kicks in, and when it does, there's a significant lurch forward.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've got 22,000 miles now and it seems like the transmission is getting worse as the miles go by. Or maybe it's because it's winter now and it's just the way it handles in cold weather, but in either case, Lexus needs to fix this. My car is driving like crap in the city.