ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present-289/)
-   -   LS500 infotainment system (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present/908368-ls500-infotainment-system.html)

bs0604 01-07-19 06:43 AM

LS500 infotainment system

I have a Lexus sc430 for 12 years now, love it and hope to keep it another several years. I want to buy a large sedan and I am considering either the LS500 or the Audi A8. My concern with the Audi is long term reliability after 100,000 miles compared to the LS500 which I presume will have excellent reliability. But all reviews I have read of the LS500 are critical of the infotainment system. I would appreciate the view of those of you who actually own the LS500. thanks

Wandl 01-07-19 08:33 AM

In my humble opinion, it takes getting used to. Not as intuitive as some systems out there, but the 2019's have Apple Carplay which helps significantly.
So in summary, the infotainment isn't a deal killer for me but make sure you play around with it before you buy, takes some getting used to but certainly livable.

Ravill 01-07-19 09:15 AM

My Audi S8 couldn't even make it to 18k miles before needing an engine out repair.

I love the infotainment on my LS. But, if you have a hard time with your iPhone, you will likely have a hard time with the infotainment system.

vantage78 01-07-19 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ravill (Post 10402638)
My Audi S8 couldn't even make it to 18k miles before needing an engine out repair.

I love the infotainment on my LS. But, if you have a hard time with your iPhone, you will likely have a hard time with the infotainment system.

Would agree with the iPhone comment. Really depends on your technology aptitude. I like the haptic feel, snappy response, great voice command functionality.

UX could definitely be better (headrest controls buried in a menu, seriously?). Also, I wish some options don’t have to be greyed out once the car starts moving but I know it’s for liability.

TigetJacks 01-07-19 06:37 PM

First, let me start off by saying "I LOVE MY 2018 LS 500" - Now that I've got that out of the way, let's talk tech. I'm not sure how the iPhone becomes a functional reference for the infotainment system - the functional flow is not the same. I'm gonna try and be as positive as I can. Ok, I like the startup; the map is not bad; voice commands seem to be better than before. Now I'm searching for a flow chart to understand how they came up with this approach as a final product. Using this system reminds of the nav system that would say "In 100 feet turn left; in 25 feet turn left" that's the systems out of band U-Turn. Or how about - stay on the current freeway (when the freeway you are on splits 4 different ways). I mean, when your navigation system can't just tell you (stay on the i20 freeway south for 7 miles) in plain english someone either has english as a second language or just don't know how to give directions. Oh let's do a function that I like on one of my vehicles, which is a lexus also - SCAN of the radio (Let's SEE: Press Menu- mouse over Radio and click - now select source click - now go to options on left side functioons and select options - OH!! Scan on/off - Really) - how many menus do you have to go through to "scan" a source ? change the heat; seats; you name it, how about move my headrest why not just put a 4 way button their?; I think there are far too many features of a well designed luxury vehicle to put on a car infotainment system, but those systems should go through very rigorous testing. For example, lets say you designed software for an in-home entertainment system remotes for whole house systems and to turn channels up/down on your system you'd have to navigate 2 or 3 layers of menus. How long would that system sell? better and more important, how long will that company be in business. For Toyota to make another vendor's entertainment system available in their vehicles burns them to no end, guaranteed, with the millions of R&D they put into this system over the years, this is a sure fire blow to their internal egos. However, I've watched these forums and others across the Lexus family of cars and what's been the #1 complaint - Infotainment - Yep and never have I seen that company offer trial, examples - please give us your feedback - even now on this 5th gen, they are still take it or leave it kind of. Bottom line, like I said at the beginning - I LOVE this car. It's a piece of valuable art - I'll live with my music on USB and every once in a while try to find some talk radio show. Let's hope I learn this system by the time I retire. Don't shoot me, just being honest and only an opinion.

bigblack06 01-08-19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by TigetJacks (Post 10403140)
First, let me start off by saying "I LOVE MY 2018 LS 500" - Now that I've got that out of the way, let's talk tech. I'm not sure how the iPhone becomes a functional reference for the infotainment system - the functional flow is not the same. I'm gonna try and be as positive as I can. Ok, I like the startup; the map is not bad; voice commands seem to be better than before. Now I'm searching for a flow chart to understand how they came up with this approach as a final product. Using this system reminds of the nav system that would say "In 100 feet turn left; in 25 feet turn left" that's the systems out of band U-Turn. Or how about - stay on the current freeway (when the freeway you are on splits 4 different ways). I mean, when your navigation system can't just tell you (stay on the i20 freeway south for 7 miles) in plain english someone either has english as a second language or just don't know how to give directions. Oh let's do a function that I like on one of my vehicles, which is a lexus also - SCAN of the radio (Let's SEE: Press Menu- mouse over Radio and click - now select source click - now go to options on left side functioons and select options - OH!! Scan on/off - Really) - how many menus do you have to go through to "scan" a source ? change the heat; seats; you name it, how about move my headrest why not just put a 4 way button their?; I think there are far too many features of a well designed luxury vehicle to put on a car infotainment system, but those systems should go through very rigorous testing. For example, lets say you designed software for an in-home entertainment system remotes for whole house systems and to turn channels up/down on your system you'd have to navigate 2 or 3 layers of menus. How long would that system sell? better and more important, how long will that company be in business. For Toyota to make another vendor's entertainment system available in their vehicles burns them to no end, guaranteed, with the millions of R&D they put into this system over the years, this is a sure fire blow to their internal egos. However, I've watched these forums and others across the Lexus family of cars and what's been the #1 complaint - Infotainment - Yep and never have I seen that company offer trial, examples - please give us your feedback - even now on this 5th gen, they are still take it or leave it kind of. Bottom line, like I said at the beginning - I LOVE this car. It's a piece of valuable art - I'll live with my music on USB and every once in a while try to find some talk radio show. Let's hope I learn this system by the time I retire. Don't shoot me, just being honest and only an opinion.

I do agree with you, but the infotainment system has gotten better. Will it ever be as good as Audi or BMW I can't say. The new voice training system is very helpful as it helps the system listen to your voice better and make better selections. I just wish Lexus would listen to the critics like you stated, the system could be great. This is my 6th Lexus so Ive been able to see the change through the years, from 2004-2018 there has been a small change and I think it is in need of an overhaul which I hope is coming, sadly I know we wont get this change when it comes out.

TigetJacks 01-08-19 06:58 AM

Hey there bigblack06, Thanks so much for you input - your experience is truly valuable and they should be running to people like yourself to get your input and feedback about what works and not. I'm no expert and I hope that I was not sounding down on this beauty or anyone. From my perspective I'd like to see an infotainment system "NOT" be like a mobile device, or you will have more of what we have thus far (accidents while texting). But what I think would be great if these developers can find a way to integrate all these systems and technology, focusing on the basics (can I use it while I drive ?). If I can use when driving, that should be a no brainer, but if they have to disable/gray out a menu option or disable a mechanism, those should fall into the non-functional category and there should be physical buttons or switches, whichever is more pleasing. I really want a functional system that's not based on a developer's standing in Japan (just because the original designer has family ties, does not mean you continue to deliver a product that "Most" if not all the auto review experts and many owners, consider a bad product. Guys this is just my 2 cents so don't shoot!!!

TigetJacks 02-11-19 05:05 PM

I'm quite sure there are a number of other studies out there that we can maybe find, but I thought this one was pretty good overall and wanted to share: https://www.oregon.aaa.com/2017/10/a...s-for-drivers/
Although it does not appear that any one thing jumped off the page in reading this, I think the aggregate of the overall time it took to perform tasks was lower than the automaker's infotainment system. Studies like these lead to very very big lawsuits from accidents over time because if the science proves out, then consumers or I should say "Lawyers" usually take advantage of this info to prove cases and get much larger payouts. Not saying that would happen, but that's normally how it goes. I think the bottom line for me is that I know it takes me much longer to do thing with this system while driving. Wonder what you all think ? Also I'm going to see if the NHTSA has any study associated with distracted infotainment systems.

TigetJacks 02-12-19 05:41 PM

Here another study regarding radio tuning effects. I read the rules from NHSTA where they mandated that automobile manuafacturer's force a number of interactive areas of their infotainment systems gray out when the vehicle is moving and how the industry has ignored the mandate. In addition, another study from the same people recommended that manufacturers move toward Apple or Google system of maps, email and voice recognition as it was leaps and bounds ahead of what they can provide.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...les/811781.pdf

2oa 02-21-19 05:35 AM

There are significant things on the car that are very uncomfortable to use. Silly things like the seat warmers -- no buttons, you have to go through the menu to get to it and it is a cumbersome menu.

The dealer will of course tell you that many features can be done by voice, but those voice things stink in all cars.

Again, in my opinion this isn't a reason not to get the car -- but just putting it out there. If you want to keep a car for 12 years, Lexus seems like a no brainier. I had a S-Class for 30 months and I didn't think it was going to make it 5 more months (even after TWO seats of brakes and ROTORS - a $2K affair each time)

LexRuger 02-21-19 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2oa (Post 10446592)
There are significant things on the car that are very uncomfortable to use. Silly things like the seat warmers -- no buttons, you have to go through the menu to get to it and it is a cumbersome menu.

The dealer will of course tell you that many features can be done by voice, but those voice things stink in all cars.

Again, in my opinion this isn't a reason not to get the car -- but just putting it out there. If you want to keep a car for 12 years, Lexus seems like a no brainier. I had a S-Class for 30 months and I didn't think it was going to make it 5 more months (even after TWO seats of brakes and ROTORS - a $2K affair each time)

I leave mine on auto and don't worry about it

aypues 02-21-19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2oa (Post 10446592)

What year was your S-Class? and which model?

bigblack06 02-22-19 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by LexRuger (Post 10446898)
I leave mine on auto and don't worry about it

Yea was about to say the same thing, leave it on auto although a dedicated steering wheel and seat warmer button wouldn't hurt.

2oa 02-24-19 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by aypues (Post 10447427)
What year was your S-Class? and which model?

Was a 2015 S-550 (AWD)