ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present-289/)
-   -   CarPlay looks incredible in the 2019 LS 500 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present/907816-carplay-looks-incredible-in-the-2019-ls-500-a.html)

signdetres 12-31-18 11:22 AM

CarPlay looks incredible in the 2019 LS 500

I'll be the first to admit, I've never really gotten into all the hype about Apple CarPlay. I understand why many seek this out in a vehicle & it's nice to have some sort of standardized user interface across all manufacturers but seeing this video of CarPlay in action on that big & beautiful screen is very impressive. I didn't expect the graphics to be so smooth, fluid & responsive. It looks absolutely gorgeous in the interior of the 5LS. I suddenly found myself having LS cravings after watching this :D

Hope you all have a safe and happy new year! :)

franklexus 12-31-18 11:25 AM

It looks really great! I hope they support Android Auto soon.

Fwyt 12-31-18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by franklexus (Post 10397266)
It looks really great! I hope they support Android Auto soon.

I am hoping they would let us retrofit it to the 2018!

franklexus 12-31-18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fwyt (Post 10397367)
I am hoping they would let us retrofit it to the 2018!

It should be a simple software fix but unfortunately in the interest of selling us new cars with "new" features, Lexus wouldn't!

Fwyt 12-31-18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by franklexus (Post 10397504)
It should be a simple software fix but unfortunately in the interest of selling us new cars with "new" features, Lexus wouldn't!

Let’s face it, we prob aren’t going to get a new car just for apple car play. not providing an upgrade path will just turn us off from Lexus and push us to some other brands.

franklexus 12-31-18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fwyt (Post 10397505)

Let’s face it, we prob aren’t going to get a new car just for apple car play. not providing an upgrade path will just turn us off from Lexus and push us to some other brands.

I totally agree. In fact if Lexus started retroactively adding some features to their older cars, more people might even come on board as they feel better about the brand and their purchase.

Fwyt 12-31-18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by franklexus (Post 10397509)
I totally agree. In fact if Lexus started retroactively adding some features to their older cars, more people might even come on board as they feel better about the brand and their purchase.

Its better marketing that anything else. Plus it’s pretty ridiculous to not update a car that just came out in year 2018 and it’s ur flagship model.

Toys4RJill 01-03-19 02:10 PM

How on Earth could Lexus come to market without Apple Car Play for the first model year units of this vehicle?

nsaldanh 01-04-19 06:49 AM

Probably because Lexus isn't known for being current on the latest electronic technology. Also they were trying to lock us down to their own technology as they did not want to cede this space to Apple and Google. Lexus Enform is so bad it's amazing they still try and get us to use it.

Ravill 01-05-19 06:07 AM

I thought I was going to order a 2019 LS, but all my other cars have apple car play and I NEVER use it, so why pay an extra $20k for something I don't use?!

But if you like it, knock yourself out!

vantage78 01-05-19 06:50 AM

I was interested in Carplay simply because of the navigation, but used the LS Navi in conjunction with voice commands recently and it’s pretty good! You can say a destination (ie a non address) and it pulls it quickly and accurately. And as it’s cloud based, it has the latest. Not a true substitute to phone based navigations, but definitely very useable.

TigetJacks 01-05-19 12:36 PM

Oops I may have posted this in the wrong place - excuse if I didLexus Enform (what does that mean - "ENFORM")!!! I don't know what to say and where to start - I just got this 2018 LS500 and man you need a masters degree to try and figure this thing out. Ohhhh, how has the navigation got me turned around "freeway ahead' HUH, what freeway ? "In 200 ft make a left turn, in 25 feet make a left turn and continue on the road" - HUH You want me to make a U-turn ? Also, just as with my mobile device (which I still call a phone and many do and want to "just make phone calls") I want to just do what I want to do without twenty menus (FM radio should be FM radio - not a mask of all sources. If I select a source and want to navigate through the channels of that source, why can't I. I may sound delirious, but man I've never witnessed something so chaotic. Oh God, why does the A/C engage when I just want some heat on my feet ? Sorry for my rant - I've read these books for Enform twice now and will start again tonight- because I don't even think the developers of this system know what to think. Oh and I drove to my local Lex dealer and learned that they have "experts" for this system because it's just that complicated.

nsaldanh 01-05-19 02:29 PM

TigetJacks: Enform doesn't really apply to what you say here.

As far as the A/C system - I've found it's best if you turn on the Lexus Climate Concierge and let it handle the temperature for the car, your seat cooler/heater and the steering wheel heater. All you need to do is set the temperature on the dash and the Climate Concierge will heat or cool the cabin depending on the ambient temperature. It actually works quite well.

If you want to do it manually you can, but that means wading through many menus looking for the right option. They are all there, but several levels deep in the menus.

TigetJacks 01-05-19 02:38 PM

Thank you nsaldanh; I think I was just referencing the overall system and I may be incorrect at putting that all together. I guess my whole point was that the system is overly complicated regardless of what area you were trying to change/configure. The engineers for this were way overthinking functionality. Thanks for the info on the concierge, will try that.

nsaldanh 01-06-19 08:23 AM

Couldn't agree with you more! I prefer to have buttons to tweak the most common things rather than fiddle with multiple menus using that touch pad. While I am quite familiar with touch pads, it's much faster and easier to just press a button or adjust a knob. You don't even have to take your eyes off the road. With the touch pad you have to stop the car to tweak anything (at least if you want to do it safely).

Another thing to try are voice commands. I've tried various things using voice commands - and not once has it misunderstood me. On my 2017 LS460 it was a crapshoot.