LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

CarPlay looks incredible in the 2019 LS 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 10:35 AM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm loving this car - so I don't want to be misunderstood. I'm a home automation guy and we don't automate things just because it's cool or looks good on a touch pad. If you want to change the volume or channel on you entertainment system, how convenient would it be to force you to look at the tablet, click on an icon, navigate via multiple screens just to accomplish that task. That would take away from the experience of enjoying your super expensive home entertainment system - this approach is no different in the high end vehicle market. There are must haves and nice to haves ! that's all.
Old 01-06-19, 01:45 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by TigetJacks
I'm loving this car - so I don't want to be misunderstood. I'm a home automation guy and we don't automate things just because it's cool or looks good on a touch pad. If you want to change the volume or channel on you entertainment system, how convenient would it be to force you to look at the tablet, click on an icon, navigate via multiple screens just to accomplish that task. That would take away from the experience of enjoying your super expensive home entertainment system - this approach is no different in the high end vehicle market. There are must haves and nice to haves ! that's all.
Supposedly we'll be seeing an all-new touch-based infotainment system in the refreshed RX, so it won't be much longer now til we see what Lexus has been cooking up.

I agree with your points. My only issue with touch screens in cars is fingerprints, which current mouse/rotary **** based systems avoid. It would be nice if they implement a solution like BMW and Mercedes where both features are present instead of one or the other but we'll see. I hope they wow us.
Old 01-15-19, 09:50 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by TigetJacks
If you want to change the volume or channel on you entertainment system, how convenient would it be to force you to look at the tablet, click on an icon, navigate via multiple screens just to accomplish that task. That would take away from the experience of enjoying your super expensive home entertainment system - this approach is no different in the high end vehicle market.
I agree, I think they complicate things because they think it's impressive. We replaced my wife's 2001 Jag S-Type with a 2018 Porsche Panamera. The car is so freaking complicated, and of course my wife won't read the manual so I have to do it all and then show her.

A great example is the center a/c vent. The only way you can control it is to go into the touch screen, go to climate control and then use your fingers to swipe how you want to direct the air to the driver and passenger sides. Good grief, is it too pedestrian to have a lever and save myself 10 seconds of fiddling with the touch screen?

Rant over.
Old 01-15-19, 09:56 PM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

I agree, I think they complicate things because they think it's impressive. We replaced my wife's 2001 Jag S-Type with a 2018 Porsche Panamera. The car is so freaking complicated, and of course my wife won't read the manual so I have to do it all and then show her.

A great example is the center a/c vent. The only way you can control it is to go into the touch screen, go to climate control and then use your fingers to swipe how you want to direct the air to the driver and passenger sides. Good grief, is it too pedestrian to have a lever and save myself 10 seconds of fiddling with the touch screen?

Rant over.
Yeah, it's the same across the entire industry. Everyone is trying out Google/Alexa the other, without taking into account pure and simple "functionality". If its not bad enough that people are dying because some idiot is starring at their freaking phone while driving through a school district, but now everyone is trying to build the system that does it all. I really don't want my phone to be smart, I just want to make a call, as such, I don't want my freaking car entertainment to be smart, just let me listen to what I prefer without having to wonder through the tech maze (just give me a freak rocker switch or button) and cool tech all the other **** like Wifi - Apps like google maps, gmail, Waze and others that help navigate in one form or another - but I really don't need to communicate to or through my car (I'm driving you meatheads)!!! OK - that felt really good! thanks for the idea
Old 01-16-19, 07:45 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

Rant over.
Sounds like they are trying to follow Tesla as the Model 3 is like that.
Old 01-26-19, 03:35 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fwyt
I am hoping they would let us retrofit it to the 2018!
I agree. There are about 6000 to 7000 2018 LS 500s in the USA without Carplay.
When you have spent as much as $100,000 for a car, you expect them to retro fit something that is on a $20,000 Ford, or a $33,000 UX!!
The original Lexus in 1989 went to extraordinary lengths to please their customers.