LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

F sport vs Lux Pack Ride/Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 09:02 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default F sport vs Lux Pack Ride/Handling

I am looking for some feedback from folks who have driven both models to some extent.
Would like the ride to be comfortable enough without the floatiness that LS has in previous generations.

Is the ride quality, Handling & Responsiveness that much different between the two?
I see lexus offers F sport with & without Air Suspension/AVS but All luxury Packaged LS's come with Air Ride & AVS.

Old 11-30-18, 05:36 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

So ride quality between the F-sport vs the Lux version really has no difference in regular suspension, but between air ride vs non air ride there is a a big difference. One feels slightly rougher than the other. The suspension with air feels smoother for sure. Now I'm coming from a GS so the ride to me feels a little softer comparing to my GS but delivers when needed. The ride to some may feel rougher than others because they are use to a certain ride. I like the air ride suspension with the stabilization, which helps with handling and it delivers amazing results. I can tell you that it feels nothing like the old LS its not like a boat it still has some feeling with the air ride. Hands down get air ride if you can worlds better, only thing you will have to worry about is maintenance years down the road.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-18, 05:40 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So ride quality between the F-sport vs the Lux version really has no difference in regular suspension, but between air ride vs non air ride there is a a big difference. One feels slightly rougher than the other. The suspension with air feels smoother for sure. Now I'm coming from a GS so the ride to me feels a little softer comparing to my GS but delivers when needed. The ride to some may feel rougher than others because they are use to a certain ride. I like the air ride suspension with the stabilization, which helps with handling and it delivers amazing results. I can tell you that it feels nothing like the old LS its not like a boat it still has some feeling with the air ride. Hands down get air ride if you can worlds better, only thing you will have to worry about is maintenance years down the road.

Hope this helps.
Great...This is what i expected.
Assuming base F sport doesn't have Air Suspension with stabilization?

There is a price difference of good $17-$18k between the base F sport vs Fully spec'ed out model.
Old 12-01-18, 10:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Correct, it's either air or no air and stabilization for the most specd ones.
Old 12-02-18, 10:07 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Hands down get air ride if you can worlds better, only thing you will have to worry about is maintenance years down the road.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had air suspension on my 2010 LS460 for 8 years and 264,000 miles and never had any issues with it. It worked as well on the day I sold it as it did when I took delivery of it.
Old 01-06-19, 02:52 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had air suspension on my 2010 LS460 for 8 years and 264,000 miles and never had any issues with it. It worked as well on the day I sold it as it did when I took delivery of it.
Agreed - am considering a LS500 with air suspension for the comfort (and it is *only* a $1500 option), Lexus has been far more reliable than other brands (i.e. Audi, MB) for the air suspensions. I know the LS430's had issues with air suspensions but that's because those cars are almost 15-20 years old now - I have heard very few (less than 5) issues with air suspensions on the LS460/LS600h's though that was an informal search.

That to say I'd feel confident in recommending and purchasing an air suspension on the LS500
Old 01-07-19, 08:12 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Agreed - am considering a LS500 with air suspension for the comfort (and it is *only* a $1500 option), Lexus has been far more reliable than other brands (i.e. Audi, MB) for the air suspensions. I know the LS430's had issues with air suspensions but that's because those cars are almost 15-20 years old now - I have heard very few (less than 5) issues with air suspensions on the LS460/LS600h's though that was an informal search.

That to say I'd feel confident in recommending and purchasing an air suspension on the LS500
Air suspension on Audi models have been near faultless.

MB airmatic has gotten much better over the years but not to the same reliability level as Audi and Lexus.

That's probably the only thing on the planet that Audi does reliabily
Old 01-07-19, 09:15 PM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve read many a “My A8/S8 is sitting on the ground on one side” thread on Audi world.

I’d say the only thing Audi makes reliable is a fast car for a few thousand miles.
Old 01-08-19, 06:43 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
I’ve read many a “My A8/S8 is sitting on the ground on one side” thread on Audi world.

I’d say the only thing Audi makes reliable is a fast car for a few thousand miles.
I don't see any D4 A8s sitting low on one side. That said, I don't think it's safe to reasonably assume that air suspension lasts more than 8 years.

Hell I'm on my 3rd set of coil springs on my car, and it's 6.5 years right now!