LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Terrible MPG LS 500: 15MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 02:24 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So I tried Shell 91 today and I am pleasantly surprised: getting 30.5 MPG on highway drive for 55 miles. It is better than my first highway drive three weeks ago when I just bought it. I was on cruise no Lane keep assist. I've got a feeling that Lane Keep Assist consumes much more gas. So looks like Chevron gas isn't good for Lexus.
Old 09-19-18, 02:47 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by seanspeng
So I tried Shell 91 today and I am pleasantly surprised: getting 30.5 MPG on highway drive for 55 miles. It is better than my first highway drive three weeks ago when I just bought it. I was on cruise no Lane keep assist. I've got a feeling that Lane Keep Assist consumes much more gas. So looks like Chevron gas isn't good for Lexus.
I exclusively use Chevron gas and have for years, and I have no issue with MPG, my RCF averaged 22 over 3 years / 34K miles before I sold it, and that included a cross country drive (CA to TN and back) using other brands along the way..

I will say however, that there are good and bad Chevron stations (and I'm sure same with all brands) where I would see a dip in overall MPG if I filled there. I usually saw the drop from stations that were not part of the "Extra Mile" branded store system, I've noticed on multiple occasions that the unbranded Chevron units are refueled by unbranded tanker trucks, but the EM branded always have Chevron Branded Tankers, and while essentially all fuel is the same and it is the additives that make the difference, one does have to wonder if the unbranded stores are using lower grade fuels and slapping the Chevron name on it and maybe not including the additives.

Also the unbranded stations (at least around me) are the only ones that do not have different prices for Chevron Credit/Cash and third party credit. And several of them don't take the Chevron Credit Card, even though they carry the Chevron Logo.

Old 09-19-18, 02:58 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for letting us know the "Extra Mile" difference. The one I went to is not "Extra Mile".

Does Shell have different types too?
Old 09-19-18, 03:05 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for letting us know the "Extra Mile" difference. The one I went to is not "Extra Mile".

Does Shell have different types too?
probably as all gas stations are franchises. In the case of Chevron Extra Mile, "Extra Mile" is the franchise, and it is the largest Chevron run Franchise with over 2,500 in southern ca. vs. the onesie, twosie mom and pop franchises.

There isn't a Shell station anywhere around me, and I haven't used them in years.

Last edited by mjeds; 09-19-18 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 07:29 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

160 miles later, 120 miles highway, 40 miles local/city, my total MPG is only 16.7. Mostly normal mode, gentle driving. Don't understand why it is so low for the local drive. In theory, it should be at least above 19mpg, right?
Old 09-22-18, 08:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

160 miles later, 120 miles highway, 40 miles local/city, my total MPG is only 16.7. Mostly normal mode, gentle driving. Don't understand why it is so low for the local drive. In theory, it should be at least above 19mpg, right?
18 to 19 MPG is what I get with Shell. It's not the gas, it's the AWD and a semi lead foot. That's about the same mileage that the previously leased RC F got.
Old 09-22-18, 08:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That’s what I get in my GS. Perhaps I’ve been conditioned by my GS, but given the fact that the LS is nearly 1000lbs more with over 100 additional horsepower makes me think the LS mileage isn’t so bad.
Old 09-23-18, 04:34 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

seems like the original poster has some options

you can continue to hope this changes, and nothing will

you can have buyers remorse and make yourself feel bad the expectations were not met day after day, making things even worst

Or you can put Shell 89 or 93 in the car,

and enjoy one of the most beautiful rides in the world
most relaxing
best executed or on par with the S class
feel good you can afford to buy the car and get it deep rooted that the extra $1000 of gas a year isn't going to change your life
The following users liked this post:
Budhah (11-11-19)
Old 09-23-18, 07:22 AM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

In life, there are some people who share balanced view, facts and tips, and be helpful to others, and there are people who always sound a little sarcastic and judgemental, almost sounds like putting down people. Trying to discuss and understand why the MPG is not within the published figure has nothing to do with whether we can afford that gas or enjoy the car. Please contribute, not be sarcastic. The LS 500 is the best car Ive ever purchased, coming from Tesla and Mercedes-Benz. However, unless people say it is totally normal to have consistently below the low end of the published MPG, Lexus should look into it, owners should also look into it.

I thank those contributors who share this tips and experience. Your time and contribution are highly appreciated.
The following 2 users liked this post by seanspeng:
aypues (06-11-19), gemini6kl (11-02-21)
Old 09-23-18, 08:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Remember that the EPA ratings on the sticker are not a guarantee from Lexus. They are the results of the EPA designed test. Lexus ran the test and the window sticker displays the results. The test is known to have shortcomings. Those shortcomings are worse on turbocharged and hybrid systems and do a poor job of reflecting the real way these cars are used.
Old 09-23-18, 11:24 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It seems to be a common complaint that turbocharged engines have problems meeting the EPA ratings in normal driving, particularly in town. Just a little bit of aggressive driving will result in high fuel consumption when the turbo boost kicks in. This issue is not unique to the LS500.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldcajun:
dsc07 (09-23-18), JDR76 (09-23-18)
Old 09-23-18, 02:38 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

glad your enjoying the car, its a great ride have fun with it and the 1 or 2 mpg city difference won't change anything
so enjoy the ride and have fun
Old 09-23-18, 10:56 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Does tire pressure play a role here? Mine is 35-36.
Old 10-01-18, 02:33 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

In life, there are some people who share balanced view, facts and tips, and be helpful to others, and there are people who always sound a little sarcastic and judgemental, almost sounds like putting down people. Trying to discuss and understand why the MPG is not within the published figure has nothing to do with whether we can afford that gas or enjoy the car. Please contribute, not be sarcastic. The LS 500 is the best car Ive ever purchased, coming from Tesla and Mercedes-Benz. However, unless people say it is totally normal to have consistently below the low end of the published MPG, Lexus should look into it, owners should also look into it.

I thank those contributors who share this tips and experience. Your time and contribution are highly appreciated.
I bought my LS 500 with only 7 original miles on the vehicle. Now the car has about 7500 miles driven over the last five months. When I was breaking in the engine, I did redline the engine at least 4 or 5 times after the engine was sufficiently warmed up. Nowadays, my wife and I drive in Normal or Eco modes most of the time, and it's been about 60/40 freeway/local for the daily driving. The overall MPG is about 25. On the few long trips over 500 miles, my wife and I utilized cruise control and semi-auto driving features extensively. Mileage for these long road trips were in the 27-29 MPG range. So I figure the other times, the average mileage has been about 22 MPG. You also asked in a later post that whether or not tire pressure makes a difference. It should. For your reference, my tires are at 37 PSI, and the tires were inflated by the dealer with nitrogen air.
Old 10-01-18, 09:10 AM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for sharing your experience. Mine is back to 15-16mpg range again, 70% city. It has 4000 miles now, is it still considered break-in period? What can I do to improve?

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Terrible MPG LS 500: 15MPG???