LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Does the Lexus LS 500 F Sport Need a V8 to Succeed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 03:55 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Does the Lexus LS 500 F Sport Need a V8 to Succeed

Brett doesn't seem to think so, but it appears that's what these reviewers thought. What do you think?

Old 08-14-18, 02:53 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im staying out of this one..
Old 08-14-18, 03:51 PM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily, but I'd prefer the smoothness of a naturally aspirated V8. I've had my 2008 LS460L since brand new and am finally looking to move on. After patiently waiting for the LS500 to hit showrooms I went in with every intention of purchasing the vehicle. Unfortunately, or fortunately, several things held me back.
1-V6 Turbo is not a V8
2-Antiquated technology, such as lack of apple car play
3-Technology present is not intuitive, such as the difficulty in adjusting the seat cooling.
4-Having to pay a premium to get Lexus' most advanced safety features on their "flagship" model.
5-Lack of back seat pass through
6-Hefty price of 100K for a very nice car, but not worth the money.

I have now turned my attention to Audi as I await the debut of the A7 then chose between the A7 Prestige or the S5 Prestige. If I do end up purchasing Audi, I hope they can come close to matching the Lexus and my local dealer's service.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Mayday (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 05:09 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcd
Not necessarily, but I'd prefer the smoothness of a naturally aspirated V8. I've had my 2008 LS460L since brand new and am finally looking to move on. After patiently waiting for the LS500 to hit showrooms I went in with every intention of purchasing the vehicle. Unfortunately, or fortunately, several things held me back.
1-V6 Turbo is not a V8
3-Technology present is not intuitive, such as the difficulty in adjusting the seat cooling.
4-Having to pay a premium to get Lexus' most advanced safety features on their "flagship" model.

I have now turned my attention to Audi as I await the debut of the A7 then chose between the A7 Prestige or the S5 Prestige. If I do end up purchasing Audi, I hope they can come close to matching the Lexus and my local dealer's service.
All great points, And it really does seem like all the safety tech should come standard. I guess they feel like people can afford to check the boxes, but it would seem like including it standard would be a great statement.
Old 08-21-18, 04:37 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Euros much higher priced for similar equipment

1-V6 Turbo is not a V8

First of all enjoy your new Audi if that is your pleasure.

1. The move to a V6 twin turbo increased performance quite a bit and there is better fuel efficiency. A full second faster 0-60 and a suspension that is not floppy like the old LS460L. Really need to drive it to feel the improvement. Night and day. Everybody else has used power adders such as turbos and superchargers. Smaller higher performance engines are a trend. No longer a stodgy luxobarge.

2.CarPlay will start integration in the 2019 ES and then NX and RC. Expect the LS500 to get it mid year.

3. Use the climate concierge that has infrared sensing for seat occupants. Reset your temp that you like if too warm or cool.
This is one of the better comfort features.

4. Quite a few safety features are standard but if those are important to you just spring for the higher trim level. At the 100K level you get the newest safety content. The LS really is comparable to an A8 model so you are in an apples/oranges comparison.

5.The trunk has good volume and a kick sensor if your arms are full. If you had the old LS460L with rear climate controls you didn’t have a pass through either.

6.The only problem with Audi’s is that they drop like a rock in value over time. That will end up being your largest cost of ownership. Reliability is another consideration but to be fair the LS500 does not have extensive data yet. Lexus backs their cars with long warranties but the best part is not using them. If an Audi is 2K out of warranty you are on your own. Lexus would look at your service history and extend coverage if you did your part.

Rock

shinonclub (08-21-18)
Old 10-06-18, 01:01 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

v8 at a minimum, a v12 would really make waves
Old 10-11-18, 09:00 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1-V6 Turbo is not a V8

stay away from audi.
Garbage car... garbage dealership/etc.

Had a VW - was the WORST experience ever.
Old 10-12-18, 02:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Does the Lexus LS 500 F Sport Need a V8 to Succeed

I would hope not, although the sentiment I've read over the lack of a V8 seems to indicate it could be a problem. For better or worse it seems we must gravitate away from large naturally aspirated engines. I think there may be other issues holding back sales success, but I don't think the engine is a major factor.
Old 10-12-18, 02:30 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Does the LS need a V8 to succeed? In this day and age, likely not.

A V8 would make for a very different feeling and experience however, which most, including myself, would prefer in this type of vehicle.
Old 10-12-18, 03:31 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

1-V6 Turbo is not a V8

You do realize that the A7 is a V-6 and the A-5 is a 4, right?
finny76 (10-29-18)
Old 10-12-18, 03:53 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
You do realize that the A7 is a V-6 and the A-5 is a 4, right?
That's why I couldn't quite follow the original sequence of reasoning from (1) that the engine has to be a V8 to the conclusion of getting an A7, which is equipped with YES the Audi version of a V6. Some people will do anything to convince themselves of not getting an 5LS, whether or not it makes any sense.
Old 10-29-18, 11:07 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkitty
A7 V6 is far superior to the new LS500 V6, go drive one and see for yourself
Only from a performance standpoint. The V-6 in A7 is pretty chronic to carbon buildup and breaking camshafts. The A35A in LS500 has the dual-injection system(pioneered by Lexus way back in 2007), which will make it a superior engine as it ages, imo. plus I have read that Tom's japan is offering a tune for the LS500 with moderate power-gain.
Old 10-29-18, 04:22 PM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up purchasing an S5 Prestige, which is a twin turbo V6. The feel of this car is very different than the LS500 and it's supposed to feel different. As long as BMW, MB, Audi are offering V8s so should Lexus as the feel in the large superlux is supposed to be that, superlux.
The main reason I went with the S5 now and didn't wait to see new A7 or give the LS further thought was because unbeknownst to me, my 16 yr old son was emailing dealerships and ended up getting me 12% off MSRP. He handled everything including the trade. It was an empowering moment for him. For the better tech, better safety features and a much sportier vehicle, the S5 ended up costing at least 30K less than a similarly outfitted LS.
Two weeks in, I couldn't be happier. With that said, they have very little chance of out servicing Lexus. I'm confident I'll come back to Lexus, but hopefully not for at least 5 years.
Old 10-30-18, 12:49 PM
profbigs88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up purchasing an S5 Prestige, which is a twin turbo V6. The feel of this car is very different than the LS500 and it's supposed to feel different. As long as BMW, MB, Audi are offering V8s so should Lexus as the feel in the large superlux is supposed to be that, superlux.
The main reason I went with the S5 now and didn't wait to see new A7 or give the LS further thought was because unbeknownst to me, my 16 yr old son was emailing dealerships and ended up getting me 12% off MSRP. He handled everything including the trade. It was an empowering moment for him. For the better tech, better safety features and a much sportier vehicle, the S5 ended up costing at least 30K less than a similarly outfitted LS.
Two weeks in, I couldn't be happier. With that said, they have very little chance of out servicing Lexus. I'm confident I'll come back to Lexus, but hopefully not for at least 5 years.
I would have gone with the S5 Sportback, but to each their own. Enjoy the new ride!

Quick Reply: Does the Lexus LS 500 F Sport Need a V8 to Succeed