LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS 500 F-Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 10:32 AM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS 500 F-Sport Brakes

Ok... I am reaching out to the forum and other 2018 LS 500 F-Sport owners to figure out if others have experienced what I am experiencing with my brakes. A few days ago, while driving around town, I started hearing squealing coming from my brakes. It has happened everyday since... Once I have been driving for a bit and the rotors/pads heat up, on a soft brake 45mph and less, the brakes consistently squeal. Rather, ONE of my brakes, the rear right squeals.

I took my vehicle to the dealership today and the shop foreman drove it. The service technician returned to inform me that the tech was able to hear the squealing from the rear right brake. He also stated that this is normal for the F-Sport vehicle. F-Sport brakes, because they are high performance brakes, squeal. They are going to reach out to Lexus and see if there is a "fix" or something that can be done to remedy it. They are going to contact me when they have an answer.

Upon leaving the dealership, I reached out to Lexus. I was again told, after they reached out to their "tech" department, that, indeed, F-Sport brakes will make more noise than regular brakes. My squealing brake are absolutely normal is what I am told.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am very dissatisfied with their response; I did not pay what I did for my vehicle to sound like a school bus when braking. Also, if this is "normal" then shouldn't the other brakes be squealing too?

Maybe I am wrong...I just feel like I have been put off by both my dealership and Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
dbenoit (09-19-18)
Old 06-06-18, 12:32 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Its a common complainant. The only way to resolve this issue is by using different compound pads.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...-issues-8.html
Old 06-07-18, 05:23 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My LS has just under 1000 miles on the odometer. No squealing yet. I wasn't aware that the F Sport has different brakes. Shouldn't squeak, they're not Brembos. Had enough of that with the RC F.
Old 06-23-18, 10:22 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm driving a 2018 LS F-Sport loaner right now, and the brakes squeak all the time--just like my 2015 (which, ironically, is at the dealer getting the TSB applied to fix squeaking brakes). Maybe they'll issue a bulletin for this one like they did for the last generation?
Old 09-04-18, 08:20 AM
Alshaaili
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my LS 500 F-Sport back in May and since then I'm currently on the fourth set of brakes. The story began on the first day when I picked up the car from the dealer, and while still driving it out of the showroom, the sound started. I complained about it directly to them and they promissed to fix it while highlighting that high performance brake might have this kind of sounds and that it is mentioned in the warranty book. Anyhow, I took it to see if the sound will be frequent or not and unfortunately after driving it for a month I couldn't continue anymore, the sound was so loud and not normal at all. I took it back to the dealer and told him I didn't buy a car with this value to entertain people with the brakes sound at every stop! They took the car and contacted Lexus Japan technical team, who advised to change the front brakes to a modified version an send the old ones back to Japan for analysis. They did all of this free of charge, but unfortunately a day after I took the car back the sound was back! I took the car back to them again after a while and this time they recieved a full set (back & front) brakes from Japan and replaced them for me again free of charge and sent the old ones back to Japan for analysis. I took the car back and again after few days the sound was back! I was really frustrated at this point and went back to the dealer and told them, you either solve it or I don't want the car! Luckily the dealer was also not happy with the iasue and they agreed to give it one final try and if the problem was not solved they will be happy to give me a full refund and take the car back. Last week the new set of brakes arrived from Japan and I have been driving the car with it for almost a week now and no sound so far. I really hope that they got it right this time because I like the car and my only issue with it was the brakes sound!

Issue aside, I really liked how lexus technical & sales teams locally, regionally and back in Japan dealt with my case. I have never experienced such support and if the problem is indeed solved, then good job for the technical team.

PS: my case is in Oman not in the US.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alshaaili:
1BlinkGone (09-10-18), PCW (09-04-18)
Old 10-02-18, 10:12 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing to hear that this is still an issue! Guess what - same crap on my 2015 LS 460 FSp! Was told the same thing by the dealership (high perf pads bla bla bla). Well - how come every other high perf. car doesn't have that issue?

And why has Lexus not tried to fix this 4 yrs later? If they can't figure it out - go talk to MB/BMW/Ferrari/etc.
Old 10-02-18, 11:00 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Well - how come every other high perf. car doesn't have that issue?

And why has Lexus not tried to fix this 4 yrs later? If they can't figure it out - go talk to MB/BMW/Ferrari/etc.
It very common Industry wide. Every manufactures have the same problem.
Old 10-02-18, 11:37 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Amazing to hear that this is still an issue! Guess what - same crap on my 2015 LS 460 FSp! Was told the same thing by the dealership (high perf pads bla bla bla). Well - how come every other high perf. car doesn't have that issue?

Old 10-05-18, 02:05 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

i do not have an LS, but my IS f-sport has the same squealing and i got the same exact answer from my lexus dealer... don’t think high performance brakes are supposed to squeal 24/7
Old 10-11-18, 08:36 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
It very common Industry wide. Every manufactures have the same problem.
100% wrong. I've owned BMW 750...S63 AMG... and never seen that issue.
Old 10-17-18, 07:26 PM
Raybenz19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Hey how’s it going I’m having the same problem dealership changed brakes like 2 times already I’m wondering if we can have a recall done or something? Email me at supremeautocustomz@gmail.com
Old 10-19-18, 04:38 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been a very interesting journey with my LS500. There is a TSB on 2018 LC500 for brake issues. As far as I can tell, it seems that the braking system on that vehicle is the same as that on the LS500. However, Lexus does not have a brake "fix" for the LS500.

While my vehicle was at the dealership the other day to have defective rims replaced, the head mechanic made a notation regarding my brakes. In forward motion they do not squeak, they squeal and do it at any speed that the brake pedal is pressed. The only way to avoid it is to brake HEAVY and HARD. Otherwise, it is just a loooooooooooooooooong squeal until you come to a stop. In reverse, there is a lower pitched hum that sounds out of the brakes. They are multi-talented. In the mechanics notes: "Customers brakes in forward and reverse sounds horrible! There is no fix, so, applying anti-seize to try and make them quieter." -- Yes. The head mechanic sprayed anti-seize on my rotors and brakes to see if that would help. It lasted for about 15-20 minutes of driving. Oh....and....the rear rotors are warped at less than 4k miles. Yeah...performance. **rolling eyes**

I would really prefer to not OEM fix these brakes. I would much rather find a different rotor and brake pad that would work on this vehicle. I have yet to find anything.

I have also watched and researched the Porsche post that many have suggested on other forums. I understand the physics behind the brake noise issues, but, mine do not align with the posts. ONLY my rear brakes make the noise and they are smaller and have fewer pistons. According to Porsche, and others who have posted in the forums, the larger the brake pad surface and the more pistons, the more noise that will be created. Not so in my vehicle.

Add the VERY quirky shifting 1st-4th -> 4th-1st<- and my entire experience with this car has been very disappointing. To that shifting...add the bump you get when coming to a stop, or, the vehicle not going into 1st gear and starting from 2nd gear (did not know I was buying a vehicle with 2nd start capability) and that disappointment just grows to some resentment towards Lexus.

I expect some issues with a 1st generation vehicle, but, at $115k, this is ridiculous. Those who have ridden in my vehicle have made comments about the weird shifting issue. "problems with your brand new car?"

At this point, this is not a vehicle I would EVER recommend to someone. It seems that the numbers who purchase this particular vehicle are low enough that Lexus does not prioritize this group in coming to resolutions.
The following users liked this post:
MrCosmo (07-05-19)
Old 11-01-18, 04:29 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

They have replacement brakes for the LC but they are not performance brakes so I won’t change mine but mine have only squealed maybe three times in 4500 miles. . They must be used hard. Reverse it a few feet with the brakes on to remove glaze etc
Old 11-02-18, 06:19 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,212 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBarlow
This has been a very interesting journey with my LS500. There is a TSB on 2018 LC500 for brake issues. As far as I can tell, it seems that the braking system on that vehicle is the same as that on the LS500. However, Lexus does not have a brake "fix" for the LS500.

While my vehicle was at the dealership the other day to have defective rims replaced, the head mechanic made a notation regarding my brakes. In forward motion they do not squeak, they squeal and do it at any speed that the brake pedal is pressed. The only way to avoid it is to brake HEAVY and HARD. Otherwise, it is just a loooooooooooooooooong squeal until you come to a stop. In reverse, there is a lower pitched hum that sounds out of the brakes. They are multi-talented. In the mechanics notes: "Customers brakes in forward and reverse sounds horrible! There is no fix, so, applying anti-seize to try and make them quieter." -- Yes. The head mechanic sprayed anti-seize on my rotors and brakes to see if that would help. It lasted for about 15-20 minutes of driving. Oh....and....the rear rotors are warped at less than 4k miles. Yeah...performance. **rolling eyes**

I would really prefer to not OEM fix these brakes. I would much rather find a different rotor and brake pad that would work on this vehicle. I have yet to find anything.

I have also watched and researched the Porsche post that many have suggested on other forums. I understand the physics behind the brake noise issues, but, mine do not align with the posts. ONLY my rear brakes make the noise and they are smaller and have fewer pistons. According to Porsche, and others who have posted in the forums, the larger the brake pad surface and the more pistons, the more noise that will be created. Not so in my vehicle.

Add the VERY quirky shifting 1st-4th -> 4th-1st<- and my entire experience with this car has been very disappointing. To that shifting...add the bump you get when coming to a stop, or, the vehicle not going into 1st gear and starting from 2nd gear (did not know I was buying a vehicle with 2nd start capability) and that disappointment just grows to some resentment towards Lexus.

I expect some issues with a 1st generation vehicle, but, at $115k, this is ridiculous. Those who have ridden in my vehicle have made comments about the weird shifting issue. "problems with your brand new car?"

At this point, this is not a vehicle I would EVER recommend to someone. It seems that the numbers who purchase this particular vehicle are low enough that Lexus does not prioritize this group in coming to resolutions.
It sounds like you have gone to a terrible service department.... is there another one you could try?
Old 11-05-18, 07:20 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am so happy with my LC that I have been thinking about getting an LS in the spring. If I do, perhaps I will get a certified car so I can check it’s mechanical history . I check the forums on different makes like Mercedes and BMW and there seems to be just as many complaints about various issues with those cars. I guess you just hope for a good one whatever you get.

Quick Reply: LS 500 F-Sport Brakes