LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS 500 F-Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 10:17 AM
LexusKen81
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake Squeal/Squeak - F Sport Issue Fix released 11/2/2018

L-SB-0041-18

All 2018 model year LS500 F Sport vehicles are equipped with high-friction brake pads, specifically designed for superior braking performance and response. As a result, the brakes may exhibit a squeal or squeak noise. For customers who find these characteristics objectionable, brake pads with alternative material are now available as service parts.

NOTE  Any changes made to the brake pad material may result in altered and possibly reduced braking performance and/or feeling under certain driving conditions, including track use.  Please note disclosures stated in the LS500 sales information, both in print form and online, and discuss with the customer before installing the alternate brake pads listed in this Service Bulletin.  It is an inherent characteristic of materials and design of brake pads used in this high-performance brake system that brake noise/squeal/squeak may result.
Old 03-28-19, 05:19 AM
jamaicanj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2018 LS F sport. My brakes started to squeak around 500 miles and are a total annoyance. I also complained at the dealership about my $102k car sounding like hell and was also told that this is common with the high performance brakes. I was told that the replacement brakes/pads have less braking power and make a different noise, so I would still be stuck hearing brake noise
Old 03-28-19, 05:32 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That's not true. You wouldn't hear noise with the change. The Dealer put me on a list to change mine. I won't change them because mine only squeal when it's damp or I have been driving it slow around town for awhile. The brakes are the best I have had on a performance car and on the Interstate at 80 mph they are very effective. If you reverse your car with the brakes on a little it will stop it for awhile. They are meant to be used hard. I just finished a six day trip with a lot of high speed travel and they never squealed once. Incidentally, four different Valets in Miami where you see Ferrari's and Lambo's , etc., every five minutes were obsessed with the car and said they never saw one. Three described it as "beautiful". Mine is Atomic Silver, red interior, with Sport Package. Did a 13 hour trip with it in the Fall. Most comfortable seats. Best sounding. TOM's exhaust. Just looked at new Mercedes 560, 140K. Plastic switches, plastic seat base, etc.
Old 03-28-19, 06:10 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Walloon
That's not true. You wouldn't hear noise with the change. The Dealer put me on a list to change mine. I won't change them because mine only squeal when it's damp or I have been driving it slow around town for awhile. The brakes are the best I have had on a performance car and on the Interstate at 80 mph they are very effective. If you reverse your car with the brakes on a little it will stop it for awhile. They are meant to be used hard. I just finished a six day trip with a lot of high speed travel and they never squealed once. Incidentally, four different Valets in Miami where you see Ferrari's and Lambo's , etc., every five minutes were obsessed with the car and said they never saw one. Three described it as "beautiful". Mine is Atomic Silver, red interior, with Sport Package. Did a 13 hour trip with it in the Fall. Most comfortable seats. Best sounding. TOM's exhaust. Just looked at new Mercedes 560, 140K. Plastic switches, plastic seat base, etc.
Yep pretty much, well said. These brakes are just meant to be a light performance brake so they will squeal happens to almost every performance vehicle from my X5 to my friends Audi S6 and those are louder than mine.
Old 03-30-19, 05:59 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are multiple variables in each person's experience with their brakes. Some hear a noise, some do not. I find that interesting. The running joke on my LS is that I just need a stop sign and signal lights, and - voila - instant school bus. My brakes do not randomly squeal - they squeal all the time - no matter what the pressure is while braking. It is constant. It is only from the rear brakes. The front does not make a sound. If you were to believe the Porsche video (and physics), then the front brakes should be more susceptible to squealing and not the rear. (front has a larger surface area - more pistons - and so on) I also love the Porsche video with the short and sweet squeal in the brakes. Mine is a chorus of squeals from the moment I press the brakes until I come to a complete stop.

I just turn the ML system up, and I do not hear it.

I do intend to post a video on YouTube of my "school bus" LS and what to expect when you spend >100k at Lexus.

As for reverse in my LS - totally different sound - a lovely hummmmmmm that mimics a LOUD YAWN! I now attribute it to my Lexus installed reverse "alert" system for those that may be behind me.

I shall repeat my post from an earlier date - my Lexus tech sprayed anti-seize spray onto my brakes and rotors because he thought they were "too noisy." TRUE story!
Old 03-30-19, 06:36 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

@DrBarlow We experienced exactly what you just described on our 2015 GS F-Sport when the brake pads were changed with what we were told were Lexus OEM pads when they were in fact not OEM at all. It was agonizingly horrible and embarrassing to drive it. "School bus" doesn't do the noise justice. In this case, I feel there's no way what you're experiencing is normal as it matches what we went through.

In our case, the fix was to replace the "OEM" pads with actual OEM pads. If I remember correctly, the non-factory pads that we had installed did not have the shims that prevent the vibrations that lead to the horrible squealing. However, being a brand new car, I'm assuming you don't have enough miles to have needed to replace any pads and are therefore on all factory equipment but I would try to get the dealership to look into the shims if they haven't already as this was the fix in our case.

I'm not sure if you've escalated this to Lexus corporate yet, but if you have & Lexus is unwilling to work with you, I would absolutely capture it and post it on YouTube and share it on Reddit, YouTube, Facebook, etc. as well as posting the video directly on Lexus' social media pages.

Years back I had a fully loaded 2014 Ford Fusion that had a faulty self-parking system (this was just one of many issues with this car. It was an electrical nightmare. It spent nearly 4 months in service over the 11 months I had it. I had escalated the case to the Ford regional service manager and had been working with them during this period to get all these issues sorted out. After meeting lemon law requirements in my state, I requested that they buy it back & after looking into my case, they rejected my request.

This is when I took to social media and did everything I mentioned previously. Long story short, hundreds of thousands of video views later on YouTube alone (I think now it has over 1,000,000 views), Ford agreed to buy it back.
Old 03-30-19, 09:55 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jamaicanj
I have the same issue with my 2018 LS F sport. My brakes started to squeak around 500 miles and are a total annoyance. I also complained at the dealership about my $102k car sounding like hell and was also told that this is common with the high performance brakes. I was told that the replacement brakes/pads have less braking power and make a different noise, so I would still be stuck hearing brake noise
I have a 2015, and was told the same thing. Brakes have been dead silent since applying the TSB that replaces the pads with normal pads.

Originally Posted by Walloon
That's not true. You wouldn't hear noise with the change. The Dealer put me on a list to change mine. I won't change them because mine only squeal when it's damp or I have been driving it slow around town for awhile. The brakes are the best I have had on a performance car and on the Interstate at 80 mph they are very effective. If you reverse your car with the brakes on a little it will stop it for awhile. They are meant to be used hard. I just finished a six day trip with a lot of high speed travel and they never squealed once. ....
I think that's the key--the F-Sport brakes are great if you're doing a lot of freeway driving or heavy breaking. But for just driving my kids to the bus stop it was downright embarrassing how much noise my car was making. Very glad I had them switched out.
Old 04-02-19, 06:33 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it you got an LS to drive your kids to the bus stop
Old 04-02-19, 06:37 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by silvaIS
I like it you got an LS to drive your kids to the bus stop
I bought it after a road trip to Yellowstone in my wife's SUV and thought it would be nice to have something quiet for road trips. Just haven't had a chance to take it anywhere yet! It works fine as an in-town car, but I think it would really shine on long trips or in a big city like San Diego with all the freeways.
Old 06-06-19, 04:36 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my breaks replaced and im in love with the car again...it feels amazing... i have no regrets at all about changing them. So lets hope the squeek doesnt come back =)
Old 06-06-19, 06:02 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by silvaIS
I just had my breaks replaced and im in love with the car again...it feels amazing... i have no regrets at all about changing them. So lets hope the squeek doesnt come back =)
I will say though after a couple stops the brakes are definitely not as responsive as the brake pads that came with it. I'm not mad since it doesn't sound like a school bus.

Last edited by bigblack06; 10-02-19 at 09:01 AM.