LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS500/500h/500F Ownership Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by shinonclub
It looks like Dave's message to warn posters who are simply here to bash the 5LS has made a difference; the noises are down. So let's get back to sharing our thoughts and experiences. I started this thread for owners to share their respective impressions, questions, recommendations, and etc. etc. We can all agree to disagree, but I'd like this thread to become a place from where we get useful information.

Between my wife and I, our LS 500 accumulated over 5000 miles in about three months. So far everything has been pretty satisfactory. But we are really curious about those who have been able to get 30+ MPG mileage wise. Anyone with some good tips, aside from not full-throttling the car too many times? :-)
No wonder why I haven't seen those type of threads lately. I got tired and a bit put off after seeing people crapping on the LS.
Great thread you started here for giving real owners putting their ownership experience here.
Old 08-16-18, 05:30 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stereorob
btw, @shinonclub, love the Autumn Shimmer. its one of my favorite colors, but i haven't seen an LS in the flesh yet wearing it. not super popular. kind of obscure and not many people going for it honestly. dont know why. probably wont be offered much longer because of that sadly.
Definitely agree with you on the complexity and richness of the new LS 500's autumn shimmer color. I see many Burgundy or red cars on the road, but not a single one as interesting as the autumn shimmer. Since my wife and I really don't mind at all that our car is the most unique on the road styling or color-wise, the fact that Lexus won't offer this color in the future will be just fine for us.
The following users liked this post:
TableRock (09-11-18)
Old 08-27-18, 09:55 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

When I looked through the LC roll call & member introduction thread, there are many more posts from LC owners with pictures of their coupes. Here on the LS roll call & member intro thread, there are only TWO. Anyone else care to share some photos of his or her LS 500/500h/500F sedans? What I have noticed after creating this thread is that the viewing number kept going up to have become one of the highest, indicating there is interest in this kind of discussions. But not too many to chime in. Your impressions and comments about the new LS 500 are more than welcome.

Last edited by shinonclub; 08-29-18 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Inviting more comments
Old 09-08-18, 09:24 AM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the base LS 500 in May, white pearl over chateau. The MSRP was $77,116. I felt the base model was incredibly well equipped, and that I have a car which can be over $100,000 for $77,000, which made it an outstanding value. My grandkids do not need the tilting, massaging etc back seats!

This is the 7th Lexus for us. My wife had the original RX300, then the GS 300, and now the 2015 NX 200t, which she loves.(Except for the touchpad). I had the second generation LS400, the LS430, 2007 LS460 and now the LS500. All were bought new. I typically keep a car about 50,000 miles. However, in the case of the LS 460, I disliked the 2013 facelift, which I thought made a beautiful design ugly, and introduced the infamous mouse instead of the amazing and simple touch screen. I really liked the LS460, and decided to hold on until a new LS appeared. In the event, it took much longer than I expected.

When I first saw the photos of the LS 500, read that it was a V6, had a touchpad, and cost over $100,000 I felt disappointed. Then I read the reviews, and really had my doubts. Despite the great experience I had had with Lexus, I started to look around.

BMW was out, as I had a really bad experience some years ago with a lemon-like 740i. Audi was out, as a close friend had a lemon-like experience with an A8. Every time she started the car the warning lights flashed like a Christmas tree. (She now has an RX). So I test drove a MB E300 and MB E400. Really nice little cars, but a lot of money for what you got. Also concerned about MB's weak reliability record. I even test drove a Macan, a great vehicle, but a lot of money for what you got.

My dealership invited me to a LS launch party. All the cars at the event stickered well over $100,000. I also thought they looked huge in the showroom. Nevertheless, I arranged a test drive a few days later. Frankly, I was expecting a weird monster. I was delighted to experience a car that, while noisy under acceleration, was still a luxurious, modern, more sporty LS. In particular, the interior was beautiful. In the sunlight, out on the road, the lines of the car looked sculpted and attractive. However, I was not prepared to spend $100,000 on an LS. It took the dealer a while to get in a base model. When one came in (pre ordered for another customer) they called me to come and see it. I was delighted to see that the car in the mid-seventies had just about everything I wanted, and in fact was beautifully equipped and finished. Its a matter of personal taste, but I felt the interior was actually nicer and less fussy than the ones with all the lines and stitching on the seats, which I thought was just too much with the swoopy lines on the dash and on the doors.

I wanted the pearl white with the chateau interior. I was told that was not available with the base model. I looked at some dealer sites in California and New York, and sure enough they had that combination. My dealer than said it was not available in Texas. Long story short, another Texas dealer was able to get me what I wanted, but I had to wait about 6 weeks. So i took delivery in mid May.

Some observations:
The longer I have the car, the more I like it. The styling detail in both the exterior and interior is stunning! I have received many complements on its looks, even the spindle grill!
Being a Lexus, everything is working perfectly
I really, really, really do not like the touchpad. However, I have found that once everything was set up, I don't need to use it often. I mainly use the voice commands, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the buttons for the HVAC and audio.
The issue with the seat heating/cooling through the touchpad has not been a problem. On the first day, I set it up to work automatically, and it has worked perfectly ever since.
It is a big issue for me that it does not have Apple CarPlay, which is available on a $20,000 Honda, and on the new ES and UX. I hope (and expect!!) that Lexus will make this available on the 2018 LS retrospectively, at no cost. If Tesla can update their cars remotely, why cant Lexus? It already has Siri Eyes Free, so why cant they add CarPlay?
There was a lot of controversy on another thread about the 4 window design. The glass is totally flush with the pillars, so it is not noticable. From the drivers perspective, the little extra window in the C pillar aids visibility. I have also noticed the new Porsche Panamera has the identical design.
The V6 is very smooth and powerful but under acceleration roars and growls, whereas the V8 just provided a silent surge of power. This is more sporty, but on balance I preferred the V8 in my LS460. Once under way, the engine is silent
The ride, even in Comfort, is harder than the LS460. However, the handling is better, and the steering feel is better. It is not a deal breaker for me.
I paid $71,000 for my LS460 in 2007. This LS 500 was $77,116. Not a big increase over 11 years for a car which is significantly more advanced.
Net, yes, I would definately buy it again.

I suspect part of the reason for all the negative reviews was that Lexus gave the reviewers fully loaded $120,000 vehicles, which they compared against other top of the line competitors with V8s. I think that if they reviewed the mid $70s base model, it would have compared more favorably as a great value versus the similarly priced competition. What else is as much car for $70k?

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by glenneagle; 09-08-18 at 02:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by glenneagle:
franklexus (11-07-18), shinonclub (09-08-18), signdetres (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 11:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by glenneagle
I purchased the base LS 500 in May, white pearl over chateau. The MSRP was $77,116. I felt the base model was incredibly well equipped, and that I have a car which can be over $100,000 for $77,000, which made it an outstanding value. My grandkids do not need the tilting, massaging etc back seats!

This is the 7th Lexus for us. My wife had the original RX300, then the GS 300, and now the 2015 NX 200t, which she loves.(Except for the touchpad). I had the second generation LS400, the LS430, 2007 LS460 and now the LS500. All were bought new. I typically keep a car about 50,000 miles. However, in the case of the LS 460, I disliked the 2013 facelift, which I thought made a beautiful design ugly, and introduced the infamous mouse instead of the amazing and simple touch screen. I really liked the LS460, and decided to hold on until a new LS appeared. In the event, it took much longer than I expected.

When I first saw the photos of the LS 500, read that it was a V6, had a touchpad, and cost over $100,000 I felt disappointed. Then I read the reviews, and really had my doubts. Despite the great experience I had had with Lexus, I started to look around.

BMW was out, as I had a really bad experience some years ago with a lemon-like 740i. Audi was out, as a close friend had a lemon-like experience with an A8. Every time she started the car the warning lights flashed like a Christmas tree. (She now has an RX). So I test drove a MB E300 and MB E400. Really nice little cars, but a lot of money for what you got. Also concerned about MB's weak reliability record. I even test drove a Macan, a great vehicle, but a lot of money for what you got.

My dealership invited me to a LS launch party. All the cars at the event stickered well over $100,000. I also thought they looked huge in the showroom. Nevertheless, I arranged a test drive a few days later. Frankly, I was expecting a weird monster. I was delighted to experience a car that, while noisy under acceleration, was still a luxurious, modern, more sporty LS. In particular, the interior was beautiful. In the sunlight, out on the road, the lines of the car looked sculpted and attractive. However, I was not prepared to spend $100,000 on an LS. It took the dealer a while to get in a base model. When one came in (pre ordered for another customer) they called me to come and see it. I was delighted to see that the car in the mid-seventies had just about everything I wanted, and in fact was beautifully equipped and finished. Its a matter of personal taste, but I felt the interior was actually nicer and less fussy than the ones with all the lines and stitching on the seats, which I thought was just too much with the swoopy lines on the dash and on the doors.

I wanted the pearl white with the chateau interior. I was told that was not available with the base model. I looked at some dealer sites in California and New York, and sure enough they had that combination. My dealer than said it was not available in Texas. Long story short, another Texas dealer was able to get me what I wanted, but I had to wait about 6 weeks. So i took delivery in mid May.

Some observations:
The longer I have the car, the more I like it. The styling detail in both the exterior and interior is stunning! I have received many complements on its looks, even the spindle grill!
I really, really, really do not like the touchpad. However, I have found that once everything was set up, I don't need to use it often. I mainly use the voice commands, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the ***** for the HVAC and audio.
The issue with the seat heating/cooling through the touchpad has not been a problem. On the first day, I set it up to work automatically, and it has worked perfectly ever since.
It is a big issue for me that it does not have Apple CarPlay, which is available on a $20,000 Honda, and on the new ES and UX. I hope (and expect!!) that Lexus will make this available on the 2018 LS retrospectively, at no cost. If Tesla can update their cars remotely, why cant Lexus? It already has Siri Eyes Free, so why cant they add CarPlay?
There was a lot of controversy on another thread about the 4 window design. The glass is totally flush with the pillars, so it is not noticable. From the drivers perspective, the little extra window in the C pillar aids visibility. I have also noticed the new Porsche Panamera has the identical design.
The V6 is very smooth and powerful but under acceleration roars and growls, whereas the V8 just provided a silent surge of power. This is more sporty, but on balance I preferred the V8 in my LS460. Once under way, the engine is silent
The ride, even in Comfort, is harder than the LS460. However, the handling is better, and the steering feel is better. It is not a deal breaker for me.
I paid $71,000 for my LS460 in 2007. This LS 500 was $77,116. Not a big increase over 11 years for a car which is significantly more advanced.
Happy to answer any question.
Nice story and experiences. Really sad to hear about your dislike of the touchpad.
Old 09-08-18, 11:30 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Some observations:
I really, really, really do not like the touchpad. However, I have found that once everything was set up, I don't need to use it often. I mainly use the voice commands, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the ***** for the HVAC and audio.
Happy to answer any question.
Thanks for a refreshing owner's perspective. I've yet to drive one, but I love the presence the LS500 has. Once thing I noticed now seeing them more often in the wild, they're more unassuming in person than they look in photos. Not in a bad way though. It's an aggressive, yet understated design, in my eyes anyways.

Here's to many years of problem free ownership!
shinonclub (09-08-18)
Old 09-10-18, 05:07 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Really appreciate the owner feedback!

We stopped-by a nearby Lexus dealership yesterday. I've seen 4 different LS500's in the wild and they looked amazing, so I wanted my wife to see one, and I wanted to get better acquainted with it up close...we didn't have time to drive one, but spent some time ogling a nightfall mica/noble brown unit with the luxury package before we had to leave for other commitments in the area. We sat in it, asked some questions, started it, walked around it, and checked features. My wife loves the car. Next time a drive and ...likely a forthcoming purchase.

Ok owners...does the car have a spare or no spare with the LS500's?
Old 09-10-18, 07:02 PM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Really appreciate the owner feedback!

We stopped-by a nearby Lexus dealership yesterday. I've seen 4 different LS500's in the wild and they looked amazing, so I wanted my wife to see one, and I wanted to get better acquainted with it up close...we didn't have time to drive one, but spent some time ogling a nightfall mica/noble brown unit with the luxury package before we had to leave for other commitments in the area. We sat in it, asked some questions, started it, walked around it, and checked features. My wife loves the car. Next time a drive and ...likely a forthcoming purchase.

Ok owners...does the car have a spare or no spare with the LS500's?
No. It most certainly does not.
1BlinkGone (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 10:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Some observations:
I really, really, really do not like the touchpad. However, I have found that once everything was set up, I don't need to use it often. I mainly use the voice commands, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the buttons for the HVAC and audio.

I suspect part of the reason for all the negative reviews was that Lexus gave the reviewers fully loaded $120,000 vehicles, which they compared against other top of the line competitors with V8s. I think that if they reviewed the mid $70s base model, it would have compared more favorably as a great value versus the similarly priced competition. What else is as much car for $70k?

Happy to answer any questions.
Any pictures? I'd love to see what a base one looks like inside and out. Glad you like your car!
Old 09-10-18, 11:09 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
No. It most certainly does not.
Thank you for resolving that! Do you own the LS500? Which variant?

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 09-10-18 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 03:26 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

The driver's seat is preprogrammed to move back fully to allow the driver to easily exit and enter the car. I finally got around to reset this feature to "NO" instead of "FULL" or "PARTIAL" in the vehicle default settings section. At 5'11", I don't actually want my driver's seat to move back at all. With that, I thought the Lexus dealerships should probably reset this feature to "NO" at the showrooms as well. No\w the back legroom is much larger when the vehicle is parked, which is when most of the visitors to Lexus showrooms would experience the 5LS's backseat legroom. Maybe at the next service visit to the dealerships, every of us owners can tell the dealership personnel about this. That way, fewer visitors would complain about the seemingly small legroom in the back simply because the front driver's seat is moved so far back from a driver's normal seat position.
Old 09-11-18, 07:05 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Base LS500

The following 2 users liked this post by glenneagle:
AJT123 (09-11-18), shinonclub (09-13-18)
Old 09-11-18, 11:16 PM
Terravita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shinonclub
The driver's seat is preprogrammed to move back fully to allow the driver to easily exit and enter the car. I finally got around to reset this feature to "NO" instead of "FULL" or "PARTIAL" in the vehicle default settings section. At 5'11", I don't actually want my driver's seat to move back at all. With that, I thought the Lexus dealerships should probably reset this feature to "NO" at the showrooms as well. No\w the back legroom is much larger when the vehicle is parked, which is when most of the visitors to Lexus showrooms would experience the 5LS's backseat legroom. Maybe at the next service visit to the dealerships, every of us owners can tell the dealership personnel about this. That way, fewer visitors would complain about the seemingly small legroom in the back simply because the front driver's seat is moved so far back from a driver's normal seat position.
I think most buyers evaluate the driver's seat first. At 6'5", I certainly do. I care about back seat passenger comfort, but if I can't fit into the driver's seat comfortably, nothing else matters.
Old 09-12-18, 07:04 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Great looking car. Haven't seen one in white yet but looks very nice. I really like the stitching yours came with on the door panels.
Old 09-13-18, 06:06 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you in the Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake area? If so I have seen you driving around, car looks sharp.

Quick Reply: LS500/500h/500F Ownership Experiences