LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Are we still loyalists or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-18, 12:55 PM
kghoshal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting you mentioned "more Japanese now than a German clone". Totally agree and having had seven LSs in a series since 1999, I have always wondered WHY does Lexus need to become an MB, or BMW clone. However, the day I got delivery of my new 2018 LS500 (back in February) and having driven about 3K miles so far, the engine noise (the "growl") has bothered me no ends.

And here's the irony! According to my dealer (who I've been loyal to for nearly 20 years)... apparently Japan wanted to give the engine and the drive a "German" feel while the body would be a "Japanese piece of art"...

if this helps any...
Old 10-08-18, 10:48 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Each manufacture designs their luxury sedans to what they think a luxury sedan should be and to their intended market. Much has been written about the new LS500 and how many of us who have owned several prior generation LS sedans don't find this change in direction to be an improvement or to be what a traditional luxury sedan should be or what we expect it to be. Welcome to our club. While I have no doubt that Lexus will build fine and reliable cars (including the new LS), I (and many others) believe Lexus missed the mark with their new LS. Time will tell. I voted with my wallet and purchased a Mercedes S550. It's more expensive and represents the ultimate in what a luxury sedan should be. (Except Rolls Royce of course). On the cheaper side, look at the Genesis G90 and you will find a traditional luxury sedan - albeit a lot less expensive than the Mercedes S Class and obviously not quit as refined.
Old 10-08-18, 07:56 PM
kghoshal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ashron
Each manufacture designs their luxury sedans to what they think a luxury sedan should be and to their intended market. Much has been written about the new LS500 and how many of us who have owned several prior generation LS sedans don't find this change in direction to be an improvement or to be what a traditional luxury sedan should be or what we expect it to be. Welcome to our club. While I have no doubt that Lexus will build fine and reliable cars (including the new LS), I (and many others) believe Lexus missed the mark with their new LS. Time will tell. I voted with my wallet and purchased a Mercedes S550. It's more expensive and represents the ultimate in what a luxury sedan should be. (Except Rolls Royce of course). On the cheaper side, look at the Genesis G90 and you will find a traditional luxury sedan - albeit a lot less expensive than the Mercedes S Class and obviously not quit as refined.
Ha ha... to be honest after six LS in a row I was seriously considering the S550. But I found myself - again - so wrapped up in the loyalty to the brand that I’d to call the MB dealer and tell ‘em maybe in another 3 years... and stayed with the 5LS - more so out of curiosity than anything else. My wife on the other hand decided to go with MB for her car. And the irony is, her car is quieter than most cars I’ve owned or driven. And my 5LS growls with artificially infused “German-like” transmission noise. Go figure...
Old 10-09-18, 04:07 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Kool Kat interesting post you shared thank you for that,
It nice to sense and read your passion for the brand and the car, beautiful color by the way love the silver on the ls460.

I think sometimes what is lost in reading the forum, is it is suppose to be an expression of ideas and thoughts. Most are subjective and there are a lot of posts that you see continually that people write like their the president of Lexus and know everything, that's not my view of your post by the way.

So all should express thieir thoughts and opinions, be there for others asking for help or need purchasing advice.

as much as it is a ls500 stirring the pot i think its just as much as a lot of the posters just want to hear accolades or positive thoughts on their vehicles.

all vehicles have good, bad and mediocre design points..
as an example i brought up about the new es350 f sport, because i drove the car and thought it from a technology and manufacturing process did some engineering feats that we're amazing. it is a much better handling car than the bigger ls460 f sport
but then you get a copy and paste that the ls460 has an f sport
all that enjoy the forum should read a little more whats important to others, and not be so sensitive if someone doesn't like the looks of a car or it rides stiff or the ls460 floats
as long as the driver/owner enjoy the car thats all that matters

case in point i had a 1999 ls400 that i loved and put 200k on.. at the time in 2011 i felt it looked dated and the front seat ergonomics bothered me.

in reality this car was one of the most perfect cars ever developed, but just the perception that it was older looking and had older ergonomics bothered me.

thanks for sharing your thoughts and many years of enjoyable driving with your LS