LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I’ve actually been quite critical of the Lexus brand of late. Yes I like Lexus vehicles, from a value for product perspective with the things that matter to me they have got me best for a long time, but the direction they’ve gone with their cars in many ways has left me behind. You’re trying to paint me as a “fanboy” and if you look at the body of my posts you will see that’s really not the case.

Pricde references? Get your own references lol. Go sit in the friggin car. The materials in the 760 are a cut above, there are leather areas that are extended in the 760 that aren’t in the merino 740 or 750 (which are identical interiors), trim differences, different material choices for trim, different headlining choices. The interior of the 760 feels much more special.

A good comparison is a loaded S560 and an S63 or S65. The interior choices are just a little different and it has an impact.

And again, if you option a 740 similarly to a fully equipped LS500 it’s $15,000 more at least. As you showed, just with the merino interior it’s $98k with no other options. The LS500 with just the interior upgrade is In the mid 80s.
Old 04-04-18, 07:31 AM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Pricde references? Get your own references lol. Go sit in the friggin car. The materials in the 760 are a cut above, there are leather areas that are extended in the 760 that aren’t in the merino 740 or 750 (which are identical interiors), trim differences, different material choices for trim, different headlining choices. The interior of the 760 feels much more special.
Well, I am thoroughly and sincerely impressed by your ability to flat out ignore facts and double down on spreading misinformation. Which is unfortunate for a forum of this high caliber.

You got caught with your 130k remark earlier in this thread. Then you keep on insisting that the materials are different in the M760i compared to the 740i. I asked you to point to specific differences in material and leather coverage area, and you couldn't. Because they are the same, down to the stitching patterns and quilting. Minus the V12 badge on the center console, of course.

Just thought potential buyers browsing this forum should get properly informed. You can believe whatever you want, I couldn't careless.
Old 04-04-18, 08:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As I said before, go sit in the car.

And I’ll put my contributions up against anybody’s on this high caliber forum, thank you very much.
Old 04-05-18, 04:25 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Pretty sick car, but this is double the price of the lexus.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (04-05-18)
Old 04-05-18, 03:39 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

As I said before, go sit in the car.

And I’ll put my contributions up against anybody’s on this high caliber forum, thank you very much.

Yeah - you talk a lot - but so much fanboi bs
Old 04-05-18, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfea
Yeah - you talk a lot - but so much fanboi bs
You clearly haven't read many of my posts lol. I'm not a Lexus fanboy.
Old 04-06-18, 04:21 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

You clearly haven't read many of my posts lol. I'm not a Lexus fanboy.
Steve, all this wouldn't occur if you stop criticising other people's opinions.
Everyone has the right to an opinion - so let them have their say, without your criticisms.

Learn to voice your opinions Steve, without criticising other people's opinions.
Old 04-06-18, 10:41 AM
8spd
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Steve, all this wouldn't occur if you stop criticising other people's opinions.
With respect, it must be stressed that my disagreements with him has to do with verifiable facts, rather than opinions.

In fact, I really don't mind being proven wrong, as I would've learned something. Matter of fact, on the issue of price I have actually proven him wrong in this thread with evidence.

It is really annoy to see someone being so blatantly intellectually dishonest, to a point where I have to wonder if that person is trolling on purpose. I thought we are better than that.
Old 04-06-18, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I still maintain that you are incorrect, sorry. If you would go look at the interiors in person you would see that the 760's interior is a step above whats available in the merino interior 740 and 750, and from your own build sheet you posted for $100k the ONLY option package a 740 has is that interior option, when an LS500 at $100k is totally loaded.

If you bought an LS500 with only the interior upgrade option it would be $15-20,000 cheaper than that 740.

And sorry if posting positive opinions about the LS500 in the LS500 forum is considered trolling. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 04-06-18, 02:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

In this case, we are still dealing with an opinion of the facts.
Such that it is best just for each member just to positively give their opinion of the facts, without quoting - nor criticising the other member's opinion of the facts - so that every member exercises their right to voice their opinion of the facts.

There's a saying that if we have nothing nice to say, then don't say it.
Only quote an opinion if we're going to say something positive & complimentary.
Old 04-06-18, 05:20 PM
8spd
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteharvey
In this case, we are still dealing with an opinion of the facts.
Actually we are not.

Example of Opinion:
The new LS exterior is extremely futuristic and I like it
The exterior design is subjective, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Example of Opinion of the Facts:
The new Twin Turbo V6 engine is sufficient and appropriate for the application.
The new LS500 objectively has a Twin Turbo V6 engine and that is a fact. Whether the engine is sufficient or appreciate are matters of opinion.

Examples of A Statement:
The BMW 740i and the M760i can both be optioned with Full Individual Merino Leather and both model with that option will have the same grade of Merino Leather with identical coverage area, stitching pattern and quilting pattern.
The above is a statement that can either be true or false. It's a matter of objective facts rather than subjective opinions.

If someone makes the claim that the LS500 has a naturally aspirated 5.0 V8 with front wheel drive and a manual transmission. That person is not entitled to his opinion, because it is not an opinion. It is simply an incorrect statement and we should call a spade a spade.
Old 04-06-18, 06:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The desperation to bash the 5LS is pretty obvious here.

Is it no surprise that the level of hatred for the 5LS is proportional to the amount of time and energy spent in this forum.
SW17LS (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 07:40 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a fact... You can look these things up.
Pages 39-42 (pdf numbering).

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/b...12-7series.pdf

This is from an '09 catalogue but still. 9 models. NINE
760 does indeed have several options that are unique like headliner materials and wood finishes.

Generally speaking it seems to be the "check all the options" and add a couple unique extras.
Think LS600h leather dash and chrome shifter...

Chill out fellas. Just a little car chat is all...

Last edited by dfkd; 04-06-18 at 07:46 PM.
SW17LS (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 08:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 8spd
Actually we are not.

Example of Opinion:
The new LS exterior is extremely futuristic and I like it
The exterior design is subjective, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Example of Opinion of the Facts:
The new Twin Turbo V6 engine is sufficient and appropriate for the application.
The new LS500 objectively has a Twin Turbo V6 engine and that is a fact. Whether the engine is sufficient or appreciate are matters of opinion.

Examples of A Statement:
The BMW 740i and the M760i can both be optioned with Full Individual Merino Leather and both model with that option will have the same grade of Merino Leather with identical coverage area, stitching pattern and quilting pattern.
The above is a statement that can either be true or false. It's a matter of objective facts rather than subjective opinions.

If someone makes the claim that the LS500 has a naturally aspirated 5.0 V8 with front wheel drive and a manual transmission. That person is not entitled to his opinion, because it is not an opinion. It is simply an incorrect statement and we should call a spade a spade.
That a 5LS has a 3.5L V6 TT is obvious.
However, the issue here is:

Then you keep on insisting that the materials are different in the M760i compared to the 740i. I asked you to point to specific differences in material and leather coverage area, and you couldn't. Because they are the same, down to the stitching patterns and quilting.

Obviously, this isn't so obvious.
Old 04-06-18, 08:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G Star
The desperation to bash the 5LS is pretty obvious here.

Is it no surprise that the level of hatred for the 5LS is proportional to the amount of time and energy spent in this forum.
It's unlikely that too many people hate Lexiis, let alone 5LS on this forum.
Most of us love Lexiis and we want Lexus to do well, and the 5LS is no exception.

However, there are differing opinions as to how the 5LS should be designed for form and function.
Different products result in different levels of success.
We want 5LS to do well, but opinions on form & function [product] differ.
That individual opinions differ is cool - no need to get uptight on differing opinions as to how to design the product.

Here is your lifeline:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...sales-figures/
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...sales-figures/

In 1990, 1LS debuted with 42k to S Class' 26k.
In 1995, 2LS debuted with 23k to S Class' 17k.
In 2001, 3LS debuted with 31k to S Class' 30k in 2000 & 25k in 2001.
In 2007, 4LS debuted with 35k to S Class 30k in 2006 & 27k in 2007.
What can 5LS do for 2018 and 2019?
5LS is Lexus' best chance to despatch the S Class, because this time round, the S Class isn't 1 year old, but already 5 years old, though an all new S Class is only mid-2020.

I wouldn't worry about it.
What happens is Benz' and Lexus' issue - not our issues.
We have to have more concern about turnover in our own businesses.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-06-18 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS