LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Lexus out of Warranty repairs vs Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The "unreliable" argument is overplayed. How many people are going to buy a new Lexus LS and keep it for 100-150k miles? The answer is not a lot of people. Most are leased, and if you look at the statistics basically any of these cars are going to be fine for 50k miles.

I've also driven the S Class with and without MBC, and its nowhere near twice the car. Its a better car sure.
Old 03-20-18, 04:52 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The "unreliable" argument is overplayed. How many people are going to buy a new Lexus LS and keep it for 100-150k miles? The answer is not a lot of people. Most are leased, and if you look at the statistics basically any of these cars are going to be fine for 50k miles.

I've also driven the S Class with and without MBC, and its nowhere near twice the car. Its a better car sure.
Agreed, nowhere near twice the car. 20-25% better, maybe. For me, that certainly doesn't justify the price difference, but I'm not a status conscious kind of guy.

I am, however, apparently in the "not a lot of people" category, as my 2010 460L just turned 263,000 miles. Had only one problem with it - the pre-collision sensors at about 190,000, and it only cost $350 to fix. My new 500 is supposed to hit the port next Wednesday. Honestly, I don't see me keeping it as long as my current 460L. I usually go around 4-5 years per car, but there was just nothing out there the last 5 years that I liked as much as my 460L.

Last edited by dsc07; 03-20-18 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"Not a lot of people" doesn't mean "no people"
Old 03-20-18, 08:01 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Agreed, nowhere near twice the car. 20-25% better, maybe. For me, that certainly doesn't justify the price difference, but I'm not a status conscious kind of guy.

I am, however, apparently in the "not a lot of people" category, as my 2010 460L just turned 263,000 miles. Had only one problem with it - the pre-collision sensors at about 190,000, and it only cost $350 to fix. My new 500 is supposed to hit the port next Wednesday. Honestly, I don't see me keeping it as long as my current 460L. I usually go around 4-5 years per car, but there was just nothing out there the last 5 years that I liked as much as my 460L.
Most people flock to Lexus for reliability, I don't think it's overplayed, it is everything. I think you're not in the minority as some would believe by holding onto your car. Most Lexus LS owners are not young to say the least and they have purchased the cars as keepers, not the generation to lease. They're not going to flock to the LS over the S class or other alternatives because it's quieter, smoother, better handling, more luxurious, more cutting edge tech, better space, more clout...as it's none of these. IF the S was the reliability of the LS, I stand by it's worth double. (Again, in it's current reliability it's 20-25% better at best)
Old 03-20-18, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We don’t have to make up these numbers, they exist out in the industry. Consumers lease more luxury cars than they buy, that’s a fact.

And thats why the S Class sells so much more than the LS, because consumers value the package more than the perceived reliability. You can’t say “reliability is everything” when the best selling cars in the segment are the ones with questionable reliability.

If you’re so convinced the S Class is twice the car and the LS is only “25% more reliable”, why are you here? Go buy an S Class and post on MBWorld. They agree with you.

I love the S Class too but it is not twice the car. It’s 10-15% more car at 25-30% more money. That’s why I’ve never pulled the trigger on one despite how much I like them.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-20-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 01:39 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I only drove the LS500 once but it also seemed that it was harder to get into.
How hard is it for a 5'10 individual to get into a car that is supposed to raise up when you get into it? Maybe ask the dealer for the air suspension model so you can try the feature that was meant for addressing this specific concern.

Feature mentioned at 2:20
Old 03-21-18, 07:49 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the height of the car but the slope of the roof. For the top of the line sedan the slope of the roof seems much different than the LS 430\460. Not a big deal but something I wasn;t expecting
Old 03-21-18, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Entry issue is because the roofline, windshield height is low, nothing to do with the height of the vehicles suspension
Old 03-21-18, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I do agree that the "unreliable" argument is overplayed. Lexus has a stigma to German buyers in a different way than German cars have a stigma with Lexus buyers. Not everyone is concerned about reliability. Most of these cars are leased and are second cars in the fleet for many buyers. High income individuals generally have the resources for repairs outside of warranty as well.
Old 03-21-18, 03:36 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LEXCTJill, Interesting response. "Not everyone is concerned about reliability"? " High income individuals generally have the resources for repairs outside of warranty as well. ?"

Not sure what experience or knowledge you have of this, but just because people have money doesn't mean they want to waste it on expensive repairs. Why do you have 3 Toyota's instead of high end luxury cars unless you are not one of those High Income Individuals you seem to know so much about?

Unless living in your parents basement gives you excessive resources?
Old 03-21-18, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
LEXCTJill, Interesting response. "Not everyone is concerned about reliability"? " High income individuals generally have the resources for repairs outside of warranty as well. ?"

Not sure what experience or knowledge you have of this, but just because people have money doesn't mean they want to waste it on expensive repairs. Why do you have 3 Toyota's instead of high end luxury cars unless you are not one of those High Income Individuals you seem to know so much about?

Unless living in your parents basement gives you excessive resources?
What did I say makes you think I was an expert? I said not everyone is concerned with reliability. And nowhere did I say people have money are wasting or not wasting their time on repairs. And I never used the words “expensive” repairs. So try your question again and there is no need to make it so personal.
Old 03-21-18, 05:56 PM
kellens
Pole Position

We don’t have to make up these numbers, they exist out in the industry. Consumers lease more luxury cars than they buy, that’s a fact.

And thats why the S Class sells so much more than the LS, because consumers value the package more than the perceived reliability. You can’t say “reliability is everything” when the best selling cars in the segment are the ones with questionable reliability.

If you’re so convinced the S Class is twice the car and the LS is only “25% more reliable”, why are you here? Go buy an S Class and post on MBWorld. They agree with you.

I love the S Class too but it is not twice the car. It’s 10-15% more car at 25-30% more money. That’s why I’ve never pulled the trigger on one despite how much I like them.
Speaking of numbers, you misunderstood greater than 50% of my message. LOL Not talking luxury cars in general, more LS's sold than leased, and and are held for a longer period that their German counterparts...that is a fact as well, and when mentioning reliability everything, meant for the Lexus LS. It's not a leader in the segment in other areas of the car. I said the S class TO ME worth twice the price if it had the reliability, as is, is worth the $25k more if that wasn't an issue. Hopefully helpful.
Old 03-21-18, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’re incorrect about he LS being sold more than leased. That was true of the last few years just because the leasers had moved on since the car was largely the same and the car didn’t have very good lease rates. With the new model you will see that shift back.

All you have to do is look at the big jump of 3 year old LS lease returns and it’s clear that the car is widely leased.
Old 03-22-18, 06:46 AM
kellens
Pole Position

You’re incorrect about he LS being sold more than leased. That was true of the last few years just because the leasers had moved on since the car was largely the same and the car didn’t have very good lease rates. With the new model you will see that shift back.

All you have to do is look at the big jump of 3 year old LS lease returns and it’s clear that the car is widely leased.
No, actually, a fact more LS' purchased than leased in North America, my source is from my brother who works for Lexus corporate and is for North America, and you can maybe inquire from Lexus in CA. My info is not from speculating from number of returns at 3 year point, or you checking local inventory where you live LOL Average time before people buy new cars around this point, so maybe that is what leads to an incorrect correlation.

Back on topic, the repairs out of warranty for the A8 and others can be swayed by buying an extended warranty. Personally, would be nervous with the A8 out of warranty. The LS, not so.
Old 03-22-18, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I also have sources within Lexus corporate and Lexus finance, the numbers you are talking about are from the last couple years, not historically for the LS. All the numbers i have seen and been given for lease rates on the LS have been well over 50% when you go back to a time when the LS is not as old as it was. Having leased two LS460s recently the lease numbers werent very good, and the lease payments wound up being very close to finance payments, hence why people didn’t lease. I did but only for business reasons. Numbers on the LS500 will be different, or it won’t succeed.

When they sell 4k LSs that haven’t been redone in 10 years yeah they are mostly bought. When they sold 35k LSs a year they were mostly leased. Their sales goals are to be #2 in the segment, to do that they have to go back to mostly being leases. Also remember their goal is to capture new buyers at the expense of their long time legacy buyers, to do that they need to be mostly lease.

LS500 will be 60%+ leased not bought. Those are Lexus’ projections. LS400, LS430 and older LS460 were all also over 50% lease.

When you say “average time people buy new cars is after 3 years” you actually make my point for me. Reliability isn’t the most important factor to most buyers, and most buyers don’t buy the LS and keep it for 100-150k miles.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-22-18 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus out of Warranty repairs vs Audi A8