LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Who is buying the new LS?

Old 03-26-18, 03:12 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is getting ridiculous guys lol. There will not be a redesign of the LS after only one year. If you don’t like it, fine. We all don’t like every car out there in the world. Continuing to beat on it though is pointless.

People have wondered where are all the LS500 buyers? Why would anybody who bought an LS500 want to join this forum and talk about the car? It’s so relentlessly negative.
We haven't had one person whose showed theirs off. A few have commented that they bought one, but no one has posted pictures or anything like that. Does anyone have a connection to a dealer to know if these are moving? I haven't seen one on the road yet here in LA.
Old 03-26-18, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
We haven't had one person whose showed theirs off. A few have commented that they bought one, but no one has posted pictures or anything like that. Does anyone have a connection to a dealer to know if these are moving? I haven't seen one on the road yet here in LA.
IMHO it’s becaise there’s nothing but negativity in here. Had I bought one I wouldn’t post it either, what’s the point? The thread would just degenerate into a complaining thread like they all do.

Yes they are selling, my dealer has sold every one that has come in.
Old 03-26-18, 05:27 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Was the release reaction to the 430 and 460 this negative? I wasn't around either.
Old 03-26-18, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was pretty negative, it always is here when a new model is released.
Old 03-26-18, 08:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

In life, there are:
1) Pessimists.
2) Optimists.
3) Realists.

To the pessimist, everything is negative.
To the optimist, everything is positive.
To the realist, there is a combination of pros and cons.

The problem with being optimistic is that is does not give realistic feedback to Toyota Motor Corporation, and it misleads them into believing that they made a sound product, when they didn't.
I believe that it is best to be a realist - give them a combination of positive and negative feedback - which is what we have seen in most posts above.

In truth, this feedback provided by ClubLexus Forums is tiny/miniscule compared to the feedback that the mass market will provide to Toyota Motor Corporation as mass market buyers vote with their wallets.
Toyota Motor Corporation is here to make money, just as they have done with the previous four generations of LS's - they are not here to piddle around with low 5LS sales.
In February, LS sales has increased from January's 116 units, to February's 548 units.
How 5LS sells, and how buyers vote with their wallets - only time will tell...

Back in 2006, 4LS debut much more positively, and as usual, on debut it outsold it's arch rival the S Class 35,000 units to 25,000 units.

Lexus reveals 4th Generation LS.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...p-sedan-4.html

Lexus LS460 Named World Car of the Year.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-page-2-a.html

LS460 Official Review Thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-thread-8.html

A special Review: 2007 LS460.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...xus-ls460.html

Mike Marshall concludes:
The verdict? Despite my slight disappointment with the more aggressive tires and suspension this year, the lack of an AWD option on the rear-drive 460, the too-Bangleish trunk lid, and the absurd and inexcusable lack of access to anything under the hood, this is truly an outstanding and superb car. Except for AWD snow traction, it has almost everything you could want in a modern car......muscle-car performance, handling, a reasonably smooth ride, interior comfort, plushness, and and quality fit for a king, jewel-like fit-and finish, reasonably simple controls ( except for the Parking Assist ) for its complex systems, not only a killer but a mass-murderer stereo, tomb-like quietness, and an impeccable reliability record to boot....one of the best in the industry.
So....I'm proud to award this car the title of one of the All-Time Best cars I have ever driven or reviewed. It is, without question, THE finest front engine / rear-drive car I have ever reviewed, and it now takes its place with others in my All-Time-Best category.....its own sister 2006 Lexus GS300 AWD, the 2006 SH-AWD Acura RL, the Audi A8, and the last-generation pre-Bangle BMW 530i.
Congagulations, Lexus, for a job well-done.......and Happy Holidays to everyone at CL.

Edmunds Full Test: 2007 LS460
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...g-spice-6.html

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-26-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would point you to the threads that still come up from time to time in the LS430 forum trashing the LS460. Just a few days ago a member was banned for it.

Overall on CL people have a very hard time accepting new models.
Old 03-26-18, 09:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I wouldn't worry about whether forum members accept new models, or not.
Forum opinion is very small in numbers compared to the opinion of the mass public who actually vote with their wallets!
Just be patient, and in about a year's time - 5LS sales figures [relative to its competitors] will speak for itself.

Back in 2012, the sporty niche Lexus 4GS actually dropped by 11,000 units or roughly 30% on debut, while the competitor Mercedes E Class in the same period, actually rose from a previous peak of 59,000 units to a record peak of over 69,000 units!

President Akio is not infallible.
He is human, and everybody has their good and bad days.

President Akio will have to learn the hard way that sports niching to young millenials is more applicable to the bottom end of the market like Corollas etc, and less applicable to the top end of the market like 5LS etc - unless of course, Lexus decides to create two separate body styles based on the same platform & same drive trains like the Mercedes S Class & AMG GT, and the BMW 7 Series & M8 Series - of Sedans & 4 Door Gran Coupes respectively.

Back in the 1980's and 90's, Toyota Motor Corp had a massive range of engines and body styles.
TMC is not new to creating a variations in body styles based on the same platform.

However, since the 2008 GFC, the Camry accelerator pedal issue, and the 2011 Tsunami - TMC seems to have become rather conservative with the latest engine choices, while it is actually the Germans who have ventured into sports niching 4 Door Gran Coupe body styles in the midsize Mercedes CLS & BMW 6 Series, and now the full size Mercedes AMG GT & BMW M8 Series; Audi has the A4/A5 and A6/A7, and Audi is just about to release an A9 4 Door Gran Coupe around the corner...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-27-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 03:25 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

I would point you to the threads that still come up from time to time in the LS430 forum trashing the LS460. Just a few days ago a member was banned for it.

Overall on CL people have a very hard time accepting new models.
I think this one is especially tough considering the polarizing changes Lexus made to an iconic car.
Old 03-27-18, 01:37 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Just had the chance to finally sit in the 5LS F sport. What a awesome looking car. The interior had a very high quality feel. The ambient lighting was damn near perfect. I set the drivers seat for me, and sat behind my own position. The rear leg room wasn’t tight, but it wasn’t anything to write home about. I can over look the smaller rear leg room because it offers so much more in regards to technology and style. The trunk was very roomy too. If Lexus should want to make a minor adjustment to the car by stretching the wheelbase 3-4 more inches and dedicating all that space to the rear leg room it would hopefully win over some of those who complain it’s too small in back.

I’d rather have this over a A8L and the G90. Can’t say it wins my heart over the 7 series or S class. But it’s definitely a competitive new addition to the segment that should hopefully sell well.
Old 03-27-18, 03:00 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

IMHO it’s becaise there’s nothing but negativity in here. Had I bought one I wouldn’t post it either, what’s the point? The thread would just degenerate into a complaining thread like they all do.

Yes they are selling, my dealer has sold every one that has come in.
Do you know how many have come through your dealer? My dealer has also sold all that have come in, but it's not many. My service advisor has said many of his current LS owners aren't terribly happy about the new LS. The question that remains to be answered is if Lexus loyalists will flock to the LS, and if they don't, will the car sway buyers from other brands.
Old 03-27-18, 03:14 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of the comments here are negative because ex-LS owners who test drove the new 5LS are disappointed about many aspects of this car. I was flying this week and had the opportunity to read the comparison article in Road and Track Magazine (or was it car and driver) where they compared the 5LS, G90, Lincoln sedan and a BMW 740.
Even they did not like many aspects of the new LS. In fact, they claimed its user interface, finger pad and all was "the worst interface in the luxury car segment at this time". (Or something to that effect). I am sure some people are used to their LS 430s or 460s and don't like change (I probably fall into that category a little as well) but I loved the "upgraded" feel when the LS 430 came out relative to the LS 400 and loved the "upgraded" feel when the LS 460 came out relative to the LS 430. Those feelings were shared by many current (at that time) LS owners. The current 5LS release is consistently getting bad reviews about many aspects of the car, so while the people commenting on this board are very few in numbers and are NOT a true representative of the market place, the vibe is very different. I have shared my personal dislikes about the new 5LS on this board (and others) and I will not be buying a 5LS. (I still like many Lexus vehicles, and especially my new 2017 LX, but when it comes to the 5LS, I think they simply missed the mark) When does the 6LS come out???
Old 03-27-18, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Do you know how many have come through your dealer? My dealer has also sold all that have come in, but it's not many. My service advisor has said many of his current LS owners aren't terribly happy about the new LS. The question that remains to be answered is if Lexus loyalists will flock to the LS, and if they don't, will the car sway buyers from other brands.
Theyve had 5 or 6
Old 03-27-18, 07:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

LS has sold 116 units nationally in January, and 548 units nationally in February this year.

For comparison, the current generation 2013-20 S Class sold 25,000+ units in its first full year debut in 2014.
In December, the midlife S Class sold 2184, January 1569 and February 1369.

If things follow, there will be an all new next generation S Class every 7 years, that is due in mid-2020.
If 5LS piddles around, it will get crushed by its competitors.

Traditionally, the previous four generations of LS's on debut, have outsold its respective S Class competitor.
Let's see if 5LS can keep up the tradition.

Normally, the all new LS outsells a 1 year old almost all new S Class.
Now, thanks to the delay in development of the 5LS, the all new 5LS only has to outsell a mid-life 4.5 year old S Class series.

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-27-18 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those sales don't mean much since the car wasn't out until mid February, and supply is very limited.
Old 03-30-18, 07:51 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Starting to see them on the road in Boca Raton. There is actually 2 in my neighborhood. Neighbor around the corner turned in his crafted line LS460 and got a Navy blue LS500 and I saw a Red going down the main road of my neighborhood today. I have not seen one at the dealer so these two sightings are as close as I got. Not as bad looks wise as I thought, but certainly a drastic change from the old LS460 which I do find more appealing. Lexus has gone in an interesting direction with the car. Interested to see how sales go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who is buying the new LS?