LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Finally test drove the LS500...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 01:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah its confusing, I was confused at first too.

I too find Mercedes does a better job hiding NVH in the S450, it is however significantly lower performance if that matters to you.
Old 03-13-18, 01:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I was confused too.
I thought Mercedes' new sporty niche full size luxury AMG GT 4 door Gran Coupe was amongst the first to use their new 3.0L in-line six eTT 48V in the US for 2018.
I didn't think that the 3.0L in-line six eTT 48V had also made it into the regular S Class locally that quickly too.

I feel sorry for the 5LS - it has a huge task ahead.
I only found out a few days ago that the 5LS is half trying to take on the regular full size luxury S Class, and half trying to take on the full size luxury sporty niche Benz AMG GT 4 door Gran Coupe.
5LS is one body style - trying to take on a Mercedes with two body styles...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-13-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 07:05 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Am I wrong in assuming you could have just turned off the heat using a voice command?
I had the same thought and tried it but it didn't understand my command. the sales person thought it wasn't capable of that but they never know their own product.
Old 03-14-18, 08:32 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I had the same thought and tried it but it didn't understand my command. the sales person thought it wasn't capable of that but they never know their own product.
I hope they push new updates to the cloud soon so voice recognition becomes smarter.
Old 03-14-18, 11:16 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Boy, you got that right. On my F-Sport test drive, I asked about a dozen questions and the sales rep could only answer one of them. 2 weeks later when I went back and drove the standard model, the same sales rep. still couldn't answer the same questions. Sad.
Old 03-20-18, 11:48 AM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned every generation of LS and buy them due to their very quiet and smooth ride. I currently own a 2013 LS460 with regular suspension and equipped with Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires. Today I test drove the LS500 for the first time. In conclusion, I have to say, the experience was much better than I feared, given everything I have read about the car. The car was equipped with Air Suspension, which I set to Comfort mode before we started the drive (run flat tires too). During the drive I accelerated from zero to about 55 MPH much faster that I ever would in my own car. I have to say, I found the acceleration to be smooth, quiet and not at all a problem. I could not tell it was a TT6 engine versus my current V8. The ride itself seemed as smooth and quiet as my LS460. I deliberately ran the car over those plastic bumps that divide lanes and it wasn't any noisier, and perhaps a bit smoother than my LS460 with the Bridgestones. The driver side seat massage function is pretty comfortable, I imagine for certain during long drives.

Some annoyances: The steering wheel seems a bit smaller in diameter than the LS460, but I did not measure it. You cannot move the passenger seat forward or back using the buttons on the side of the seat because those buttons are no longer there. That's a bit of a hassle when the car wash guys move the seats around or one of my crazy teenagers move it. Now I guess you have to reach all the way over and press one of the presets to move the passenger seat back into position. The car definitely is smaller in the inside, but I'm only 5'10" and found it not to be a problem at all. Also, the headliner is black with the black interior which makes the car seem a little smaller too. My car has a grey headliner with the black upholstery. It is true that you cannot turn on the steering wheel heater unless you use the touchpad. Also, you cannot adjust the AC airflow direction without engaging the touchpad, which seems really stupid to me. The trunk is smaller.

However, given the smooth ride and quiet ride, at least as good as the LS460 in my opinion even with the run flat tires, I'll buy the car with Air Suspension. I'll wait until there is ample inventory so a deal can be made....probably around December.
Old 03-20-18, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That makes sense. You’re comparing a SWB LS on the standard suspension to a LWB only LS500 with the air suspension. Having had both a SWB LS460 on the coil suspension and a LWB LS460L with air suspension, the LWB car with air suspension rides notably better. If you compared your LS460to an LS500 on the coil suspension I think you would find it rides firmer, as I found when comparing the air car to my air LWB car.

Even then it’s not a huge difference, but it is a difference.

AND, you can move the passenger seat. There is a button next to the memory seat buttons that turns the drivers seat controls into the passenger seat controls.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-20-18 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 02:19 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scubadvr1,

You said you can't move the driver's seat from buttons on the side of the seat because they are not there. How do you manually adjust the drivers seat?

The more reviews we see the more frustrating the changes seem. It would be nice to have some one from Lexus explain their thought process for the removal or changes like this seat issue you are talking about, no pass thru the frustrating navigation system after more than a decade of experience, burying the seat heater controls under multiple layers of screens, no Apple Car Play,

It seems like these changes are made just to make changes,not make the car better
Old 03-20-18, 02:24 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the 2019 LS 500 will be released later in the year. If so hopefully some of these issues will be addressed
Old 03-20-18, 02:41 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I wonder if the 2019 LS 500 will be released later in the year. If so hopefully some of these issues will be addressed
I wish the same to be honest, but as few of these as they sell, and as long as the last generation was around with few changes, I wouldn't count on anything for 3-4 years. They might put CarPlay in it soon, but hedge a bet they'll put in the all new 2019 ES as a first. I'm hopeful the ES while will not have the interior appointments of the LS for sure or scale, might be the quieter, smoother cruiser. I can only hope they don't go 'sporty/engaging'.
Old 03-20-18, 03:02 PM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I said that you cannot move the PASSENGER seat from the driver seat because the buttons on the PASSENGER seat side have been removed. However, SW17LS said you CAN move the passenger seat using buttons near the driver seat memory setting. I didn't see that, and the sales rep along on the test drive didn't mention it.
Old 03-20-18, 04:12 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My Jeep makes you go into the touch screen every time to set the steering wheel heater and or the seat heaters. This is a big pain in the butt compared to our switch. I wish our switch was directly on the steering wheel. Also it goes off when you turn the car off, probably the same with the LS500.
Old 03-21-18, 01:27 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
In the same way, just because "you" do like the new design language of Lexus, it doesn't mean others will like it too.

As I have said many times before, we must wait about a year or so, and see how the public truly respond to 5LS - they may love it, or they may not love it...
Yea you didn't understand what I was saying.

You insinuate that Akio's new design direction is essentially a failure for Lexus and sales numbers but an argument can be made that due to an overwhelming fraction of per model sales are F-Sport where F-Sport is available, that customers prefer the new aggressive direction more than they don't. I don't think its a surprise that GX sales spiked and held steady after getting the spindle refresh. Over half of IS sales are F-Sport and the typical soccer mom buying boring RX's are more often choosing the bolder looking option.
Old 03-21-18, 06:43 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadvr1
I said that you cannot move the PASSENGER seat from the driver seat because the buttons on the PASSENGER seat side have been removed. However, SW17LS said you CAN move the passenger seat using buttons near the driver seat memory setting. I didn't see that, and the sales rep along on the test drive didn't mention it.
The sales person did mention to me that the passenger seat adjustment can be controlled by the driver. I thought that was a little odd but I didn't know there are no controls on the passenger seat. Now I know but I still think it's an odd change.
Old 03-21-18, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The way they do the passenger seat movement now is the same way Mercedes does it.

As for arguing with Pete, don’t bother. Whenever anybody has anything to say about styling or vehicles he disagrees with, then “just because we like it doesn’t mean people will, we must wait and see”, and then he goes into a huge long post about his own subjective opinions and presents them as irrefutable facts.
The following users liked this post:
MJA1951 (03-21-18)

Quick Reply: Finally test drove the LS500...