LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Photos and Videos from LS500 Event

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 08:49 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah, the smaller feel overall was something I was concerned about.

How did you feel about interior material quality vs your LS460?
Quality felt fine. I doubt they skimped on materials or hardware. The dash surface around the HUD opening was thick fabric; didn't feel like leather.

The pleated door panels are nice, but that fabric may not age well and promises to be a dust magnet (just like the fluted trim on the dash). The pleats are the top option paired with the Kiriko glass, so whoever gets those will probably have enough people to keep the panels dust-free
Old 01-25-18, 11:27 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Thank you for sharing all these details, AC!

While I've been pretty silent on CL regarding the LS500, I certainly have had some views since it was first announced.

For starters, I have not been a fan of the styling around C-pillar, and its Avalon looks. However, the technology, size of the vehicle and other features (including the TT V6) did keep me intrigued, until now. I don't know if I am missing the forest for the trees here, but that sunroof is a major deal breaker in my mind. If that doesn't scream 1980s, I don't know what does... ugh... I get it: they didn't want to take headroom away, but this looks terrible.
Old 01-25-18, 12:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

The LS500 has two options a moonroof and a panorama roof. Looks like the car I sat in was the panorama roof, which I believe opens outside. The attached spec sheet shows that it has lesser headroom compared to the moonroof car, which is comparable to the 4LS. Nevertheless, these numbers can be deceiving. Even though the specs say there is nearly as much legroom in the LS500 (79.9 inches F+R) as the LS460L (80.4 inches), it definitely did not feel that way.

BTW, the panorama roof in the S class is really well designed in that it slides open outside the roof but rolls out pretty close and parallel to the roof, not like this ugly design in the LS500.

2018LS500.pdf 2016LS460.pdf
Old 01-25-18, 01:11 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
The LS500 has two options a moonroof and a panorama roof. Looks like the car I sat in was the panorama roof, which I believe opens outside. The attached spec sheet shows that it has lesser headroom compared to the moonroof car, which is comparable to the 4LS. Nevertheless, these numbers can be deceiving. Even though the specs say there is nearly as much legroom in the LS500 (79.9 inches F+R) as the LS460L (80.4 inches), it definitely did not feel that way.

BTW, the panorama roof in the S class is really well designed in that it slides open outside the roof but rolls out pretty close and parallel to the roof, not like this ugly design in the LS500.

Attachment 473399 Attachment 473400
Funny that you clarified that, because before I posted, I asked myself the question of whether this might be the panoramic sunroof, and based on its size (at least what I could appreciate), I didn't think it would be. Interesting. A slightly used LS600hL or LS460L may be in my future?
Old 01-25-18, 02:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't like anything about this new LS, it just leaves me so cold that there is nothing I like about it. I am sure the quality is good but what good is the quality when the rest of the car misses the mark so much. Maybe I have to see it in person but I just don't see this as being a big seller for Lexus. Then again I don't like anything about the new upcoming Audi A8 either and the A8 used to be one of my favorite flagships.
Old 01-25-18, 02:55 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caha14
Funny that you clarified that, because before I posted, I asked myself the question of whether this might be the panoramic sunroof, and based on its size (at least what I could appreciate), I didn't think it would be. Interesting. A slightly used LS600hL or LS460L may be in my future?
OK, I should clarify again. It turns out the car I sat in had the regular moonroof, and it looks pretty ugly. Why couldn't they keep the design where it retracts into the roof? So, the car I sat in has the taller headroom according to the spec sheet, and it felt much lower than my 460L.

I found this description and photo of the panorama roof. It seems more elegant, but cannot be sure without seeing it in person. This option will decrease the headroom further according to the specs, which only makes things worse.
Old 01-25-18, 03:06 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Going thru the spec sheets, I found that the LS500 is about 250 lb heavier than the corresponding 2016 460L. It's surprising they did not do a better job of trimming the car's weight.
Old 01-25-18, 03:30 PM
caha14
Racer

Oh my... before we know it, someone will be hanging a "kick me" sign on this thing
Old 01-25-18, 09:31 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

Thanks for posting those pictures! I just came back from a Lexus event where I got to drive the LS but I didn't get many good photos. Your pics look incredible.

You make some great points that I completely agree on:
-The car actually feels greatly smaller on the inside than the LS460L. It's actually close in size to my LS430 or a current GS. The roof line does is very low in the rear.
-The giant touchpad is more difficult to use for most people. It first debuted in the LC500 and 2018 NX. Most people dislike it more than the remote touch controller. I find it to not be too bad but the 10th generation navigation has a tougher learning curve compared to a 2017 LS460.
-The HUD is very nice and it's pretty big now.
-The Kiriko glass looks just as incredible in person as it does in your pictures.
-The build quality was impressive but the LS460 was a better looking car to me.

One thing I noticed from the event I went to was that the LS500's they had us compare with the BMW 740i, Audi A8L, and Mercedes S450 were typically Luxury or Executive packages. The Audi and Mercedes were bigger inside and more closely optioned out to a Luxury package LS500. Everyone there said the LS500 was way better than the competition but none of them were setup like the Executive LS500 was.

​​​​​​​Were people allowed to drive them at your event?
Old 01-26-18, 12:14 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X

-The car actually feels greatly smaller on the inside than the LS460L. It's actually close in size to my LS430 or a current GS. The roof line does is very low in the rear.
But I thought the LS 430 actually has a little bit more rear hip and shoulder room than the 460. I am just a little confused by the comparison of 5LS to 430.

I am very disappointed to hear how the 5LS interior has shrunk. Why make a longer car, only to reduce interior volume? The TT V6 probably doesn't need as long of a hood either, so why is the 5LS so long yet doesn't provide much appreciable benefit? Oh well, maybe it is good this way and I won't be tempted by the 5LS.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-26-18 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 05:12 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
Thanks for posting those pictures! I just came back from a Lexus event where I got to drive the LS but I didn't get many good photos. Your pics look incredible.

-The giant touchpad is more difficult to use for most people. It first debuted in the LC500 and 2018 NX. Most people dislike it more than the remote touch controller. I find it to not be too bad but the 10th generation navigation has a tougher learning curve compared to a 2017 LS460.
-The HUD is very nice and it's pretty big now.
-The Kiriko glass looks just as incredible in person as it does in your pictures.
-The build quality was impressive but the LS460 was a better looking car to me.

One thing I noticed from the event I went to was that the LS500's they had us compare with the BMW 740i, Audi A8L, and Mercedes S450 were typically Luxury or Executive packages. The Audi and Mercedes were bigger inside and more closely optioned out to a Luxury package LS500. Everyone there said the LS500 was way better than the competition but none of them were setup like the Executive LS500 was.

Were people allowed to drive them at your event?
Thanks, after reading many technical reviews, I was really interested to get a feel for the little things inside and outside the car that intrigued me. But the car at my event was also set up only for viewing and not driving. I agree that the build quality is typical Lexus and exceptional. The sales people said they had sold out their first order of seven vehicles. Inspite of the many concerns we and others have noted, demand will probably be strong in the first year.
Old 01-26-18, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
But I thought the LS 430 actually has a little bit more rear hip and shoulder room than the 460. I am just a little confused by the comparison of 5LS to 430.

I am very disappointed to hear how the 5LS interior has shrunk. Why make a longer car, only to reduce interior volume? The TT V6 probably doesn't need as long of a hood either, so why is the 5LS so long yet doesn't provide much appreciable benefit? Oh well, maybe it is good this way and I won't be tempted by the 5LS.
Its all about styling and feel vs space. In order to have a lower, sportier roofline and a more intimate, sportier feel inside, the interior volume is going to shrink. Thats why the LS460 feels a little tighter than the LS430 or LS400 despite being larger, it was made to be more stylish and sportier too. Lower roofline, higher tub (higher top of the door panels and all relative to your head and shoulder position), bigger pillars, more steeply raked windshield. The LS500 just takes that to another level.
Old 01-26-18, 01:16 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Its all about styling and feel vs space. In order to have a lower, sportier roofline and a more intimate, sportier feel inside, the interior volume is going to shrink. Thats why the LS460 feels a little tighter than the LS430 or LS400 despite being larger, it was made to be more stylish and sportier too. Lower roofline, higher tub (higher top of the door panels and all relative to your head and shoulder position), bigger pillars, more steeply raked windshield. The LS500 just takes that to another level.
I follow that, but it was confusing to read that the 5LS feels smaller than 460L but like an LS 430. That was hard for me to process because the 430 is bigger inside than the 460 (basically, how can the LS500 be both smaller inside and bigger inside than the 460)?

Wait, I think I figured it out now. The LS 500 slots in between an LS 430 and LS 460 LWB, in terms of interior space. That must have been the intended message and I misinterpreted it.
Old 01-26-18, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Right, you misunderstood. Remember the LS500 is LWB only now.
Old 01-29-18, 09:24 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Some good points. My memory doesn't go back that far but I wonder if the LS460 received as much criticism compared to the LS430 as the LS500 is getting now.

In the end, new Lexus models end up "growing on" most critics on CL.

Quick Reply: Photos and Videos from LS500 Event