LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Let's axe the legendary V8 for a 0-60 time only .3 seconds quicker. smh.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 10:30 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
i can forgive, but the nostalgic part of me will also miss the NA V8. on the bright side, with a stock turbo system, HP and TQ can be unleashed with just a BPU or BPU+ i.e. downpipe, larger intercooler, intake system etc..
That's the only thing I'm looking forward too regarding the TTv6

I'm sure we will see some monster powered LS500's very soon
Old 01-29-18, 07:58 AM
ryco25
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the opportunity to drive and do some autocrossing in the new LS and LS F SPORT, and I can say the engine is quite impressive. I am one of the biggest V8 snobs you will find, but this V6TT left nothing to be desired.

Driving it in normal/comfort mode, it was quiet and very smooth. Once you turn it into Sport S+, there is much more engine sound - a sportier and more pleasant noise than the RC F SPORT and IS F SPORTs I have driven. In Sport S+, the shifts were way faster, the throttle response was great, and although not related to the engine, body roll was minimal.

I also drove it against the S450, 740i, and A8L, and although the Audi had a large V8, this engine was still the most fun to drive, the S450 being the next in line. I definitely miss the V8 noise of the last one, but this engine is still great.
Old 01-30-18, 07:57 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ryco25
I just had the opportunity to drive and do some autocrossing in the new LS and LS F SPORT, and I can say the engine is quite impressive. I am one of the biggest V8 snobs you will find, but this V6TT left nothing to be desired.

Driving it in normal/comfort mode, it was quiet and very smooth. Once you turn it into Sport S+, there is much more engine sound - a sportier and more pleasant noise than the RC F SPORT and IS F SPORTs I have driven. In Sport S+, the shifts were way faster, the throttle response was great, and although not related to the engine, body roll was minimal.

I also drove it against the S450, 740i, and A8L, and although the Audi had a large V8, this engine was still the most fun to drive, the S450 being the next in line. I definitely miss the V8 noise of the last one, but this engine is still great.
Was the A8L the 4.0t?
Old 01-30-18, 08:11 AM
ryco25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greg3852
Was the A8L the 4.0t?
Yup, 4.0t.
Old 01-30-18, 01:17 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Wich dealership are you with? I went to the same event last Monday and loved the new LS. I completely agree with you on the engine. It's as smooth as the V8.

I like the styling of the S450 better but the LS is an incredible car. I just don't like the rear windows and rear roof line.
Old 01-30-18, 01:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Saw your review thread great feedback. We all love the V8 but a 3.5TT V6 is no slouch either.
Old 01-30-18, 06:50 PM
ryco25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
Wich dealership are you with? I went to the same event last Monday and loved the new LS. I completely agree with you on the engine. It's as smooth as the V8.

I like the styling of the S450 better but the LS is an incredible car. I just don't like the rear windows and rear roof line.
Not with a dealer actually and was at the Wednesday session...regardless the experience was awesome and I agree with your points. If I had my choice between a loaded S550 and the LS, I'd go S Class as long as it had the V8..I've just been in love with those for a long time. I thought the LS was a better vehicle overall than the S450 though.
Old 02-03-18, 08:45 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yup, 4.0t.
Curious as to what made you like it more than the 4.0t. They say it can do 3.9 0-60. It supposedly is a very fast car.
Old 02-03-18, 09:09 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

in a big body sedan car that is suppose to be quiet, no one will miss the quiet v8. they will be happier with a faster , more efficient car. V8s will be missed in sporty cars and sedans though.
Old 02-05-18, 04:33 AM
jzqj55
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A comparison where they don't invite the S550?

Disappointing Lexus realizes they can't compete with the best.

After this long a wait, I expected much more
Old 02-05-18, 05:01 AM
jzqj55
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why would they not make the LC V8 available in the LS?

Only having a V6 twin Turbo is going to dissuade many buyers. When you spend that much for a car, is a few MPG is really worth the sacrifices in performance, Smoothness and quietness?
Old 02-05-18, 06:28 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jzqj55
Only having a V6 twin Turbo is going to dissuade many buyers. When you spend that much for a car, is a few MPG is really worth the sacrifices in performance, Smoothness and quietness?
Performance? The TT V6 outperforms the V8. Smoothness and quietness I will go out on a limb and say Lexus has that covered and the average person will not be able to tell the motors are different.
Old 02-05-18, 08:51 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jzqj55
Disappointing Lexus realizes they can't compete with the best.

After this long a wait, I expected much more

Lexus is trying to compete for 2nd place. No one shopping for a 2018 S-class is going really take a hard look at the new Lexus LS. If we just take a look at the S-class sales charts it’s been the best selling car in the full size luxury segment by a huge margin for at least a decade if not longer. The S-class factory is at full capacity. The A8, 7er, LS, G90 and XJ are all competing solely for second place. The new LS is a fine automobile, but Lexus is hoping to retain customers who may have purchased a LS years ago and are looking to buy a newer car as their cars are now showing some age. This new version may snag a few customers from the previously mentioned 4 competitiors, but the S-class is the supreme leader when it comes to full luxury car sales and there is nothing Lexus or BMW or Hyundai can do about that.

I hope the V8 engine makes a return to the LS with a twinturbo setup in F model later on. I do wish the new LS had simple buttons for the seat heaters vs having to use the remote touch pad. But overall it should sell in decent numbers for the brand, once the average consumer test drives the LS they won’t care the V8 is missing in my opinion.

Last edited by highrev6; 02-05-18 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Typo