LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

New LS f sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 08:11 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New LS f sport

Well Lexus just teased the new ls f sport in white. And it looks incredible they are also debuting a new interior combo as well. Does the possibly mean a lsf is in the work a long with the lc? Anyways here's the pic
Attached Thumbnails New LS f sport-photo442.jpg  
Old 04-06-17, 08:21 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I think Camry's sport package is more aggressive...
Old 04-06-17, 08:58 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mk416

I think Camry's sport package is more aggressive...
A Camry is a Camry. A ls is a full size luxury yacht. Not meant to aggressive just a little more sportier.
Old 04-07-17, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

All we've seen is the taillight guys lol
Old 04-11-17, 09:38 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Well they unveiled the new ls f sport. And it's so so sexy esp in white can't wait to check this beast out in person. The s class has no comparison whatsoever oh and the 7 series. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails New LS f sport-photo718.jpg   New LS f sport-photo186.jpg  
Old 04-11-17, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Some better pictures were posted in the Car Chat thread. I'm not a huge fan in F Sport trim, but thats not a big surprise as I typically prefer Lexus' cars in the non F-Sport trim. One thing I note in these pictures that I dislike is the gap between the top of the grille and the hood, such as what you see on the ES. I hate that look, I much prefer the grille to come up into the hood...I didn't really notice it in the original pictures, likely because of the color of the car:

Old 04-11-17, 10:05 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Some better pictures were posted in the Car Chat thread. I'm not a huge fan in F Sport trim, but thats not a big surprise as I typically prefer Lexus' cars in the non F-Sport trim. One thing I note in these pictures that I dislike is the gap between the top of the grille and the hood, such as what you see on the ES. I hate that look, I much prefer the grille to come up into the hood...I didn't really notice it in the original pictures, likely because of the color of the car:

I respect your opinion. I've seen these pics to but unfortunately I've been permanently banned from car chat. But for the next gen es I really want an f sport option. I love the spindle grille but I love it more in the f sport variants. And about that gap I don't really care about it it doesn't detract from the look of the cars imo it looks quite good. I really wanna see the circuit red interior tho. If I was to get the new LS (I would if I had the money) I would get white f sport with red or white non f sport with the parchment interior or the the red and black combo. And for me the grille sits perfectly fine. I actually prefer the gap. But to each there own.
Old 04-11-17, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One of the things I appreciate about a high end vehicle is the care taken to hide and minimize body seams. Thats why I don't like that look, to me it makes the hood edge seam stick out like a sore thumb. When I look at the nose of the LS500 F Sport pictured above, the first thing my eyes lock to is the gap from the hood seam, which isn't what I want to have my eyes snap to. Every time I walked around the front of that car I would look at that hood seam.

Thats one thing I really liked about my LS400 & LS430, and to some extent my LS460, is the effort taken to hide the seams between panels in the overall design of the car. In the LS400 and LS430 for instance, the grille is a part of the hood so there are no seams as the hood flows down around the grille, which looks very clean IMHO. I also like the way the chrome belt line strip that went around the car hid the seams of the bumpers, and the way the edges of the bumpers that had to seam from below the turn signals in the front and taillights in the back down to that chrome strip were beveled so as to present as little of a seam as possible. This seam was VERY tight:

On the LS460 obviously you no longer have the chrome belt line (its outdated), so you do see seams from the bumpers on the sides as they flow into the body, but they did try and make those seams a part of the car's styling as best they could, for instance the rear fender seams have a flourish:

And in the front, the grille meets the edge of the hood so although the grille is no longer integral with the hood, you don't see a stark line, and the edges of the hood are hidden in the wrap over fender design:

Old 04-11-17, 12:10 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

F-Sport ? Maybe it will have a v8 :-/
Old 04-11-17, 12:33 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

One of the things I appreciate about a high end vehicle is the care taken to hide and minimize body seams. Thats why I don't like that look, to me it makes the hood edge seam stick out like a sore thumb. When I look at the nose of the LS500 F Sport pictured above, the first thing my eyes lock to is the gap from the hood seam, which isn't what I want to have my eyes snap to. Every time I walked around the front of that car I would look at that hood seam.

Thats one thing I really liked about my LS400 & LS430, and to some extent my LS460, is the effort taken to hide the seams between panels in the overall design of the car. In the LS400 and LS430 for instance, the grille is a part of the hood so there are no seams as the hood flows down around the grille, which looks very clean IMHO. I also like the way the chrome belt line strip that went around the car hid the seams of the bumpers, and the way the edges of the bumpers that had to seam from below the turn signals in the front and taillights in the back down to that chrome strip were beveled so as to present as little of a seam as possible. This seam was VERY tight:

On the LS460 obviously you no longer have the chrome belt line (its outdated), so you do see seams from the bumpers on the sides as they flow into the body, but they did try and make those seams a part of the car's styling as best they could, for instance the rear fender seams have a flourish:

And in the front, the grille meets the edge of the hood so although the grille is no longer integral with the hood, you don't see a stark line, and the edges of the hood are hidden in the wrap over fender design:

Though I am banned I still read it on the browser not signed in. I read that you said "Lexus is nuts if the car is priced similarly to a loaded s class" I'm not picking a fight but why does that make Lexus nuts? This is also there flagship not a Camry that should be cheaply priced esp considering that the new LS imho is a exceptional flagship, better than the Germans by all means you can disagree but how come Lexus is nuts if they wanna price there flagship like a flagship deserves to be? Again not picking any fight what so ever just curious
Old 04-11-17, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Though I am banned I still read it on the browser not signed in. I read that you said "Lexus is nuts if the car is priced similarly to a loaded s class" I'm not picking a fight but why does that make Lexus nuts? This is also there flagship not a Camry that should be cheaply priced esp considering that the new LS imho is a exceptional flagship, better than the Germans by all means you can disagree but how come Lexus is nuts if they wanna price there flagship like a flagship deserves to be? Again not picking any fight what so ever just curious
Because Lexus does not have the brand cache, image, prestige or pedigree to command the same prices as Mercedes does. Really...nobody does especially in this segment. The Mercedes S Class created this large flagship sedan category, its the original. Note that currently the S550 is the most expensive entry in this segment, yet is also the sales leader. Thats why BMW kept the lower priced 740 instead of going all V8 750 as Mercedes did with the S550, because they need to present that value in order to capture market share.

Think of this sort of sedan as a "capstone". This is the car that you buy when you've made it, to show everybody around you that you're the real deal. Yes its a big comfortable car to drive and all, but anybody who tells you their flagship purchase had nothing to do with ego is lying, its one of the main reasons people buy a big imposing car like this...thats true whether its the S Class, LS, 7 Series, whatever. Like it or not, a "Mercedes" or to a lesser extent a "BMW" makes a bigger statement than a Lexus or an Audi or a Jaguar or a Cadillac so on and so forth. All these cars make a statement about you and your success, but no car makes that statement as much as the S Class. Thats why it costs the most AND sells the most.

On top of image, remember the LS500 is a TTV6, the S550 is a TTV8...there are a lot of reasons why Lexus would be nuts to price this like the S Class. This car competes with the 740, A8 6cyl, etc...the S550 is a half category above.
Old 04-11-17, 02:46 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Because Lexus does not have the brand cache, image, prestige or pedigree to command the same prices as Mercedes does. Really...nobody does especially in this segment. The Mercedes S Class created this large flagship sedan category, its the original. Note that currently the S550 is the most expensive entry in this segment, yet is also the sales leader. Thats why BMW kept the lower priced 740 instead of going all V8 750 as Mercedes did with the S550, because they need to present that value in order to capture market share.

Think of this sort of sedan as a "capstone". This is the car that you buy when you've made it, to show everybody around you that you're the real deal. Yes its a big comfortable car to drive and all, but anybody who tells you their flagship purchase had nothing to do with ego is lying, its one of the main reasons people buy a big imposing car like this...thats true whether its the S Class, LS, 7 Series, whatever. Like it or not, a "Mercedes" or to a lesser extent a "BMW" makes a bigger statement than a Lexus or an Audi or a Jaguar or a Cadillac so on and so forth. All these cars make a statement about you and your success, but no car makes that statement as much as the S Class. Thats why it costs the most AND sells the most.

On top of image, remember the LS500 is a TTV6, the S550 is a TTV8...there are a lot of reasons why Lexus would be nuts to price this like the S Class. This car competes with the 740, A8 6cyl, etc...the S550 is a half category above.
I agree with some of the things you said. You're in nova correct? Every other car I see in nova when I visit is a Lexus and they are all rich folks. And my sister and I have gotten so many compliments on our Lexus'. Like it or not Lexus IS a brand that is held on the same level as BMW and Mercedes. Never have met someone who cross shopped a Acura with these brands. Whenever someone sees my sister or myself we get nothing but compliments on our lexus'. My cousin saw my driving my car outside and no lie he called me and his exact words were "no lie today I found a new love for Lexus your car looked so sexy today" and mind you he has a BMW himself so that goes to show that Lexus does have prestige. The argument I'm about to make may sound silly to you but I will say it anyways. I listen to rap music and the mention theee cars. "Benz, bimmer, and Lex". This goes to show that people do see Lexus on the same level and I certainly do. Again I am not putting up a fight we are just having a convo right. Oh and also I thought of something else. If Lexus doesn't have prestige how come they priced the lfa at a whopping 300k but all of them are sold? people who bought them had many choice but wound up getting the amazing one and only lfa.

Last edited by imrankh24; 04-11-17 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm in suburban MD. Its not that it doesn't have prestige, it certainly does just not to the same level as Mercedes as a brand.

The LFA is a unique car, it was a very limited production run and it was just an incredible car. People who are able to purchase such cars and are enthusiasts of super cars buy them for reasons other than just prestige, the LFA was/is a one of a kind car far beyond what it cost. It was not a mass market car like we are talking about.

All you have to do is look at sales figures to see, almost universally Mercedes are the most expensive cars in their segments, yet they lead sales figures in many segments. The S Class is significantly more money than its competitors yet is the sales leader, same is true of the E Class for instance, C Class also.

If you sat an LS, an S Class and a 7 Series next to each other, and asked a random non car person off the street which car they thought was more expensive they would point to the S Class.

Understanding that Lexus needs to keep the price of the LS below the S Class, as even BMW and Audi also know enough to do.
Old 04-12-17, 02:38 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm in suburban MD. Its not that it doesn't have prestige, it certainly does just not to the same level as Mercedes as a brand.

The LFA is a unique car, it was a very limited production run and it was just an incredible car. People who are able to purchase such cars and are enthusiasts of super cars buy them for reasons other than just prestige, the LFA was/is a one of a kind car far beyond what it cost. It was not a mass market car like we are talking about.

All you have to do is look at sales figures to see, almost universally Mercedes are the most expensive cars in their segments, yet they lead sales figures in many segments. The S Class is significantly more money than its competitors yet is the sales leader, same is true of the E Class for instance, C Class also.

If you sat an LS, an S Class and a 7 Series next to each other, and asked a random non car person off the street which car they thought was more expensive they would point to the S Class.

Understanding that Lexus needs to keep the price of the LS below the S Class, as even BMW and Audi also know enough to do.
Addendum: S-Class, or Special Class, has been around longer than the LS, Luxury Sedan, has. 1972 vs 1989. So SW15LS is correct in saying that MB created this segment with the introduction of S-Class.

As I have said in another LS thread, Lexus needs to price their flag ship lower if they were to compete with S-class. You wouldn't want to spend 90K on a KIA K900 when you can buy a LS460, would you?
Old 04-12-17, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And even before 1972 Mercedes had large sedans that were the epitome of the luxury sedan just not sold as the S Class. Cars like the 600, 300, etc.

Quick Reply: New LS f sport