LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Nice Interior shots

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 12:46 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

They don't have to do things the way everybody else does and they don't have rules to follow. Just like I don't have to like it. And there is no rule I can't think it looks cheap.

Your opinion may vary. Mine isn't changing.
Old 03-05-17, 07:27 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I've always been a fan of an interior with a dash with nice-looking wood. As a driver, the dash is the part of the car I see most often. I really like the wood/partial leather steering wheel itself. I think the elimination or reduction of wood is an attempt to make the interior more modern and sporty, but to me, the LS isn't a sporty car. I consider the LS460 a good compromise between the more boxy design of the LS400/430 and something more aggressive, such as the current generation of the XJ,

While the newer XJ's design is popular, I prefer the previous generation XJ as a luxury vehicle. The burl wood and leather interior is beautiful, IMO. Were it not for reliability issues and outdated controls and features, I might have bought one. One of my concerns about the LS500 is that in some ways it appears too sporty. Perhaps it will grow on me when I see it in person.
Old 03-05-17, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

That's just Lexus' direction, towards sport and away from luxury.
Old 03-05-17, 10:00 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's just Lexus' direction, towards sport and away from luxury.
I wish they'd keep both. The LC500 is the sports coupe; keep the LS500 more luxury than sport. Could the LS500 compete with the Porsche Panamera? It seems unlikely.
Old 03-07-17, 09:16 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I agree that gutar string theme is definitely ugly, as far as sportiness goes they need to work on engine rather than aesthetics as much like s8?

Originally Posted by Gbp
I wish they'd keep both. The LC500 is the sports coupe; keep the LS500 more luxury than sport. Could the LS500 compete with the Porsche Panamera? It seems unlikely.
Old 03-07-17, 11:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I agree that gutar string theme is definitely ugly, as far as sportiness goes they need to work on engine rather than aesthetics as much like s8?
The guitar strings could be a nightmare to clean. I can see the dust getting into all the nooks and crannies between the metaL ridges.
Old 03-07-17, 12:03 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

What is on top of the glove box? Is that another screen? Seems like lines going around there too
Originally Posted by comotiger
The guitar strings could be a nightmare to clean. I can see the dust getting into all the nooks and crannies between the metaL ridges.
Old 03-08-17, 05:17 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

the real unspoken truth about the interior of the new ls is that 10 years in the making and lexus notably being the best at interiors and comfort, i would wait to drive and sit in one to reserver judgement. the wood, the small speed odometer and the piano trim are interesting, but my bet is this will be a more enjoyable interior than a s class.
every time i sit in a new e or s there lines are beautiful. but its the touch points that feel cheap with certain materials
with lexus you know your interior will stand the test of time.

my only concern is look at the ls, gs , es with the ridiculous mouse controller now its horrible
i can't understand what they are thinking with all the attention to detail.
even the flat interface recently introduced is not getting accolades.

why reinvent the wheel, i know the board despises the germans, but bmw has perfected i drive and the controller, study it , copy it, and improve on it
Old 03-08-17, 11:30 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

A preview of the "world's largest color heads-up display" shown for a brief second in this video.

Old 03-08-17, 11:39 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think the interior shown on the recently revealed LS500h blows the competition out of the water. The combination of leather, intricate stitching, wood, metal, and cut glass is just stunning! There's so much to look at and feel; gives the feeling that everything was handmade. It makes the competition look old and kinda boring.

Old 03-09-17, 05:58 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZ214
What is on top of the glove box? Is that another screen? Seems like lines going around there too
It's not a display, but some kind of ambient lighting surface. It would have been awesome if it were another display for the passenger's viewing pleasure. I have a feeling other car makers will do Lexus one better and turn that dashboard real estate into a display before too long, unless there is some legal restriction.
Old 03-20-17, 06:43 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Wood's not going away anytime soon; but I think other trim options are growing. Look at the S class; the W220 had little strips of wood on the doors; and the W221 and W222 have larger pieces there.

From the center console you see less of it; but more and more that space is covered by buttons and controllers and those cutouts are expensive to create; and between that and the screens there just isn't that much space for large expanses of wood trim anymore. Mercedes and BMW both offer wood steering wheels on the S class and 7 series; either as standard or optional equipment. I think it just comes in and out of style. I liked the Granite in the older Maybachs; expensive as hell but sure was distinctive.

I agree the W220 and W221 S class touchpoints feel cheap but the W222 and later Mercedes models are getting better; and some of the recent Lexus models now have less amazing feeling touchpoints. Every time I get into my friends' ES330 or my LS430 I'm amazed at how expensive the interior feels.

The LS500 and LS500h are a bold step forward; even if I think the center console echoes the W221 strongly. Looking at the photos it's amazing how many buttons have been removed; although I'm sure they are now buried behind the screen and the annoying remote touch controller.

I can't wait to see them in person.
Old 03-20-17, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

All of it is trends, trends come and go.

What I have noticed, is with mainstream cars now using more typical luxury materials and finishes (you have Jeeps and Mazdas and Chryslers with real wood, suede headliners and quilted napa leather in Kias, leather in everything) luxury automakers have to do more and think outside the box to keep the types of trim and such they are using different and a step above what more mainstream cars are using.
Old 03-21-17, 08:04 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
All of it is trends, trends come and go.

What I have noticed, is with mainstream cars now using more typical luxury materials and finishes (you have Jeeps and Mazdas and Chryslers with real wood, suede headliners and quilted napa leather in Kias, leather in everything) luxury automakers have to do more and think outside the box to keep the types of trim and such they are using different and a step above what more mainstream cars are using.
I think this is one reason for the cut glass trim and pleated fabric sections on the door panels in the LS500h. It would be nice if these features were also offered in the LS500.
Old 03-29-17, 05:52 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

So they removed the wood inserts from the doors also and replaced them with cut glass? After removing the wood from the dash and replacing it with thin bands of magnesium. Leather on the rest of the dash. Still a little wood on the steering wheel and in the center console. Not sure what the surface on the center console that holds the buttons and ***** is made of. Doesn't look like wood. Throw in pleated door panel designs that match nothing else in the car. Then you have some kind of light display in front of the passenger that doesn't appear to be anything useful.

If they were going for different, they got it. They got a whole lotta "different" going on in that design. I suspect it alienates more buyers than it attracts. I also suspect that after the initial excitement, sales will take a nosedive. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: Nice Interior shots