LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 05:58 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Exhaust Experiment...

Fellow CL Members,

I have read all or most of the threads regarding doing exhaust mods on the LS. And I'm torn. I like a nice sounding exhaust, but an LS is a far cry from a Mustang. The LS, like other luxury cars, carries an air of elegance.

With that said, I'm not in agreement with a loud exhaust on an LS. However, I don't think just a bit of rumble would eliminate that air of elegance. If the sound is just right, it could enhance it. Kind of like the sound from say ... a 3.5L powered Infiniti (like a QX35, they sound great, while not being overly loud).

But my LS is just too darn quiet! I enjoy hearing it when I'm at half throttle or greater, but outside the car I doubt anyone can hear that sweet sound. And, like many of you, I can distiguish the sound of a V6, inline 6, inline 4, V8, V10 and V12. I had an argument one time with a guy about his car when we were riding in it. I mentioned something about it being a 4 cylinder and he swore up and down it was a V6. I said no way, I hear a 4. After we got where we were going, he popped the hood and there sat a 4 cylinder. He was floored and apologetic.

The point is, I would like for other gear heads to hear my LS and go ... "that's a V8?" Because I doubt most people realize that.

So, I've decided to do an experiment. I have some parts being made today that will "vent" exhaust prior to the mufflers. I've read about a washer or 2 being added to the rear most flange. I hear it sounded good, but I've never heard it myself. But the problem I have with that idea is that adding washers will cause exhaust to leak 360° around that flange. Which means that it will flow up underneath the vehicle. Which will lead to corrosion eventually, and could leak back into the car and at the very least, have an exhaust smell in the vehicle (not elegant).

What I have designed, will "vent" exhaust at both the rear most flanges prior to the mufflers, but will "vent" the exhaust straight down at the ground. I should be getting these parts today. I doubt I will get the parts assembled onto the car until early next week due to scheduling issues.

I'm concerned the sound may be bad though, and just sound like an exhaust leak. But maybe it will sound just a bit louder, especially under throttle, and have the right quality of sound. Overall, I believe it will sound too much like a leak. Either way, I will report back to you guys on this thread after I put them on. Crossing my fingers.

Sorry for the long thread. What do you guys think of this?

7milesout
Old 04-13-16, 06:53 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you thought about electric cut outs.

Also Dynomax super turbo mufflers are very quiet with a slight rumble.
Dynomax Hemi Turbo is even quieter . Both have excellent flow numbers.
Just throwing out options.

I was thinking about the same thing. I wanted to hear the v8 a bit. I'd hate to have any drone thou.
I also have my Lsc whenever I want to hear some good old 5.0 music.

Newer Bmw cars have a valve inside the muffler that opens up during wot. Would be sweet to have that, or at least to be able to control is via switch.
Old 04-13-16, 07:03 AM
7milesout
Advanced

I've thought of a bunch of things. I'm very hesitant to do something that costs fairly significantly, AND EVEN MORE something that cannot be easily reversed and returned to original. If I replaced the mufflers, that cost (even though not prohibitive) is much more than these items I am designing. And once replaced, if I didn't like the sound, I would be up "a certain" creek.

Cut-outs, while cool, just don't sound appropriate (IMO) on an LS.

And if I (or anyone else) doesn't like the sound of what I'm making, they can be taken right back off, and everything goes back to as designed.

But first, I have to hear what I've designed, and see if it sounds good, or like "that certain" creek.
Old 04-13-16, 07:13 AM
younglad
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ready to see the results
Old 04-13-16, 07:16 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut the rear mufflers off and added J pipes to eliminate the drone in the worst spots. It sounds absolutely glorious at WOT.

I still haven't gotten around to taking a good video though.
Old 04-13-16, 08:11 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We used the shorter canister Borla mufflers and added Porsche 911 turbo tips. The piping from the cats was a custom bent 2 1/2" to the muffler and the results sound deep and throaty but not loud or obnoxious.

Old 04-13-16, 08:58 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Have you thought about . . . your neighbors? ;-)
Old 04-13-16, 09:02 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R Z
Have you thought about . . . your neighbors? ;-)
Nope. Hell id give whistler tips a try if I didn't have a long commute to work! 😂
Old 04-14-16, 10:15 AM
7milesout
Advanced

I think I'm going to get these today. If so, I'm going to try to get them installed when I get home, before I leave to go out of town, and listen to them over the weekend. If they're no good, they will be removed Monday. If they're good, I'll let you guys know.

- 7milesout
Old 04-14-16, 02:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
So, I've decided to do an experiment. I have some parts being made today that will "vent" exhaust prior to the mufflers.

What I have designed, will "vent" exhaust at both the rear most flanges prior to the mufflers, but will "vent" the exhaust straight down at the ground. I should be getting these parts today.

I'm concerned the sound may be bad though, and just sound like an exhaust leak. Either way, I will report back to you guys on this thread after I put them on. Crossing my fingers.

What do you guys think of this?

7milesout
My thoughts are bad idea. The cars with great sounding exhaust are finely tuned at the factory after 1000's of hours of research and testing. However, that being said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I say go for it. It sounds like it is minimal investment. The worst that can happen is your wife says, "PUT IT BACK"!

In which case, put it back.
Old 04-14-16, 06:34 PM
7milesout
Advanced

The Gift knows better than interfere with anything I have going on with cars. That may be the only thing she doesn't (try to) control.

And I didn't get my Flange Vents. Oh well.
Old 04-14-16, 11:51 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
We used the shorter canister Borla mufflers and added Porsche 911 turbo tips. The piping from the cats was a custom bent 2 1/2" to the muffler and the results sound deep and throaty but not loud or obnoxious.

The Borla Pro XS model ? This is the replacement for the old Borla turbos
Old 04-15-16, 06:58 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

This experiment is a bad idea!........
Why? Because the drone will drive you nuts if you don't install an "engineered system" and you ruin your factory exhaust.
How do I know? Because I had a cat back SLP, Magna Flow systems installed on my "slightly modified" Dodge SRT and these two systems droned so bad I became addicted to Advil.
How did I stop the drone? I installed a Corsa Cat back system that was engineered and guaranteed to be drone free and now I am happy with a great sounding system that is NASCAR loud at full throttle and offers a nice cabin sound on the freeway.
Suggestions? Maybe you can call CORSA and talk to them about making a cat back for the LS...... The only thing that they may say is: Are you serious? Modifying an exhaust on a LS?? Didn't you pay big dollars for a quiet cabin experience on a luxury car??? If you want a loud exhaust on a big Azz fast car why don't you by a Hell Cat????
Old 04-15-16, 06:59 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Putt
The Borla Pro XS model ? This is the replacement for the old Borla turbos
Yes......Borla sent me the XS mufflers for SEMA 2014. They're the shorter body ones since there's not a lot of length for the longer mufflers.
Old 04-15-16, 07:02 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
This experiment is a bad idea!........
Why? Because the drone will drive you nuts if you don't install an "engineered system" and you ruin your factory exhaust.
How do I know? Because I had a cat back SLP, Magna Flow systems installed on my "slightly modified" Dodge SRT and these two systems droned so bad I became addicted to Advil.
How did I stop the drone? I installed a Corsa Cat back system that was engineered and guaranteed to be drone free and now I am happy with a great sounding system that is NASCAR loud at full throttle and offers a nice cabin sound on the freeway.
Suggestions? Maybe you can call CORSA and talk to them about making a cat back for the LS...... The only thing that they may say is: Are you serious? Modifying an exhaust on a LS?? Didn't you pay big dollars for a quiet cabin experience on a luxury car??? If you want a loud exhaust on a big Azz fast car why don't you by a Hell Cat????
J pipes work wonders.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...