LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

All in one updated questions thread for me - help me answer them?

Old 07-10-19, 10:56 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts
Default All in one updated questions thread for me - help me answer them?

Guys I have so many questions, there is no point making a separate thread for each one, I considered rehashing my old threads but there are so many. If you have some time please help look through and see if you can contribute anything.

1. Some of you might have read of my recall fiasco here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...uld-i-kno.html So the car has run maybe 600+ miles since, been a few days over a month since I have gotten it back. Other than the leaking radiator, which I am not even going to quibble with them about, I am now of the opinion the more they touch the car, the more bad things are going to happen to it. So fingers crossed if nothing else happens with it, I am not bringing the car back to them. Just will buy a koyorad radiator and be done with it.

SoI had thought that my horrible gas mileage was due to my leaking broken injector, now that everything is back the way it is supposed to I guess it is back to how it was when I first bought the car this time last year. Which in this city is 10-11mpg. Now, there are no highways within the city, if I drive in the day time, it is most certainly going to be LOTS of start and stop. Just google Lviv, Ukraine and you will see what I mean, small narrow streets, cobble stone and lots of traffic. But I have no idea if that is normal for this car in this traffic.

If there is no way that this could be that bad, what should I be checking for? The oil has been changed, air filter has been changed, spark plugs I was told were ok but = read above - They were changed maybe a year or 2 ago. I guess I can try cleaning the MAF sensor. But what else should I be looking into? Exhaust system?

2. Dash mats, I hate the idea but there is so much glare, I am going to be putting some reflecting tints but if that does not solve it i would need to get dash mats... anyone use them here? So far I gather the choice is between Dashmats and Dash design.

Will update/add more soon .

THANKS GUYS
Old 07-11-19, 07:10 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

1. The LS is a large and heavy vehicle. Lots of idling combined with stop and go traffic will kill your MPG. 10-11 MPG in a 12 year old car with a 4.6 liter V8 in those operating conditions is not out of the ordinary.

2. In previous posts you mentioned you use Aerospace 303. I do too and I think it is a fantastic product. Initial applications will produce a matte finish once it has flashed. However, after many applications the area will be completely saturated and the oils will come to the surface providing a high gloss finish. Maybe this is what has happened to your dash. Just wipe it off after you apply it and it won't be shinny.
Old 07-11-19, 10:32 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RussLS460
1. The LS is a large and heavy vehicle. Lots of idling combined with stop and go traffic will kill your MPG. 10-11 MPG in a 12 year old car with a 4.6 liter V8 in those operating conditions is not out of the ordinary.

2. In previous posts you mentioned you use Aerospace 303. I do too and I think it is a fantastic product. Initial applications will produce a matte finish once it has flashed. However, after many applications the area will be completely saturated and the oils will come to the surface providing a high gloss finish. Maybe this is what has happened to your dash. Just wipe it off after you apply it and it won't be shinny.
yes that is entirely possible i shall try to give it a proper cleaning with woolite Thanks
Old 07-11-19, 10:34 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FunFact
You could always look for a used dash from an LS600. Then you get rid of the glare AND you improve the look of the car by having a wrapped dash.
My ES350 has the shiny dash until it was replaced, and I can say that none of the products off the shelf did much to help. 303, interior detailer, and other products didn’t help: it got sticky and shiny when it was in the sun, no matter how liberally I applied it.
That is a great idea or for even less money i can get a upholstery place to copy the look and wrap the dash in leather... but I shall try less drastic options first haha thanks tho, i was thinking about it before but for some reason abandoned the idea.
Old 07-11-19, 01:37 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

If I were going for a cover, I’d have an upholstery place model it after the ls600 dash. That will look better than oem if done right and fixes it
you mean have them make a leather mat that mirrors the look of the 600 as closely as possible? Or have them actually cover the dash in leather.... both are doable options I guess. I'll get some prices and let's see haha
Old 07-11-19, 03:37 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

I mean actually cover it and adhere it, since my personal goal would be to make it look OEM. Just make sure they actually leaves space for the passenger airbag to deploy.
I'll let you guys know , when I find out
Old 07-11-19, 04:58 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

On the mileage, depending on how long your trips are, how much idling, 11 MPG is not out of the ordinary. My 2015 gets 12-14 typically because I just do short city trips. I would measure it on the highway to see if you can approach 30--if so I wouldn't worry about the gas mileage.

I have a DashMat in my 2001 Acura TL and I love it. I went with black even though the interior is tan and it does a great job of cutting glare. They do a good job of making it fit various vehicles, but you do have to put some adhesive velcro strips on the dash (included) so it doesn't move.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (07-11-19)
Old 07-11-19, 06:00 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DerrickM
On the mileage, depending on how long your trips are, how much idling, 11 MPG is not out of the ordinary. My 2015 gets 12-14 typically because I just do short city trips. I would measure it on the highway to see if you can approach 30--if so I wouldn't worry about the gas mileage.

I have a DashMat in my 2001 Acura TL and I love it. I went with black even though the interior is tan and it does a great job of cutting glare. They do a good job of making it fit various vehicles, but you do have to put some adhesive velcro strips on the dash (included) so it doesn't move.
Yeah I have not done a long distance trip in a while, but when I did, I think I managed 500km on 42L or 1/2 a tank of gas.

N good to know about dash mat
Old 07-11-19, 06:29 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I think this forum needs a "Quick Q & A" thread for stuff that seems like it doesn't deserve its own thread. Let me contribute mine:

Can the windows on a 2012 LS be opened or closed via the keyfob? The manual indicates it can (hold down the unlock button) but doing that produces no results in my car. Do I need to finally open up the Carista I bought and use that to customize that setting?
Old 07-11-19, 07:39 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
I think this forum needs a "Quick Q & A" thread for stuff that seems like it doesn't deserve its own thread. Let me contribute mine:

Can the windows on a 2012 LS be opened or closed via the keyfob? The manual indicates it can (hold down the unlock button) but doing that produces no results in my car. Do I need to finally open up the Carista I bought and use that to customize that setting?
Does anyone do any research anymore?
Hell no!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iy-thread.html
THIS HAS BEEN COVERED SIR ...........DO SOME RESEARCH
Old 07-11-19, 07:41 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

I do not get lazy people.
Old 07-11-19, 08:22 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jkittlesen
Does anyone do any research anymore?
Hell no!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iy-thread.html
THIS HAS BEEN COVERED SIR ...........DO SOME RESEARCH
Where in that thread is my question addressed? I did search for the obvious stuff like "key" "fob" "windows" "close" and nothing came up. If I have to open each link in the FAQ thread to find my answer, then YOUR ALL CAPS RESPONSE isn't helpful.

Like @jdanielca would say - if you're not answering my question or being helpful then shut up and don't bother to reply.
The following 2 users liked this post by NotFasty:
jdanielca (07-11-19), Tron460 (07-12-19)
Old 07-11-19, 08:32 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotFasty

Yes I think so.
Old 07-11-19, 08:33 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Post 40 Sticky ...................Tips and Tricks, you can apologize later!
Old 07-12-19, 01:48 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

So next questions guys is a slow leak from the top of the radiator, if i monitor the level top it off etc... is it going to cause any immediate issues?

is there some place that lists what speed and rpm goes with what gear? A friend is helping me test the transmission and we see it shifting to 8 at 50-60kmph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All in one updated questions thread for me - help me answer them?