LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Things I did to my Ls460 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 06:35 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
After you get done doing the spark plugs on this car you're not just gonna sit there and be quiet while you get knocked on the internet about the spark plugs you used. At least I'm not. My plugs are fine for me and I've moved on. Doing brakes now
Can not change a Zebra stripes I reckon, give us an idea of the pads you use so you can be offended again so easily !
Really ......on forums you have to have a little thick skin!

I said some stupid **** and had to admit I was wrong for saying certain things, ball is in you court champ!
The following users liked this post:
LS460Crown (09-08-19)
Old 06-07-19, 06:56 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Lol I used PQ pro pads by Centric and Raybestos 980573 rotors. I did one side and then decided why not bleed out some fluid and replace some while the cars off. Goes fine. Turn car on and got the ABS/Brake Malfunction/stop car warning light. Pedal is hard as a rock but works. Disconnected battery checked brakes, reconnected. Warning still there. No CEL codes. Techstream cable and software on the way. Go ahead lay it on me I can take it
Old 06-07-19, 07:03 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

I would say the error lies in the bleed, what say you?
Still weird tho huh?
Old 06-07-19, 07:05 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Bleed the other side and check results. Still unusual.
Old 06-07-19, 07:48 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

I will try bleeding all the calipers tomorrow. Sounds like I need to reset the brakes with Techstream. Got a $65 version coming Sunday off Amazon. Hopefully no hardware is damaged. Luckily I got 2 other vehicles but unfortunately neither one is an LS!
Old 06-07-19, 08:03 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

**** is so damn complicated these days, I feel so old and I used to know cars .
Rajananda (12-20-21)
Old 06-08-19, 08:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Lol I used PQ pro pads by Centric and Raybestos 980573 rotors. I did one side and then decided why not bleed out some fluid and replace some while the cars off. Goes fine. Turn car on and got the ABS/Brake Malfunction/stop car warning light. Pedal is hard as a rock but works. Disconnected battery checked brakes, reconnected. Warning still there. No CEL codes. Techstream cable and software on the way. Go ahead lay it on me I can take it
I used the Raybestos rotors and had to replace them after a few months. They warped quickly. Switched to Centric Cryo and went two years without any further issues. As for the brake bleed, even my dealer had to reset through techstream several times before they got rid of the error lights etc. That's why for 79.99 I let THEM do it. Not worth my hassle despite my being a DIY guy.

Ya know....most of us here have good advice. We have done all these things many times before and just MIGHT actually know what we're talking about through experience as well as shared experiences. It's all been done before. Try to learn from our mistakes.
LS460Crown (09-08-19)
Old 06-08-19, 10:56 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

When I replace them in a few months I will skip the bleeding because I plan on doing some major Techstream air bleeds soon By the way how's your Taurus working out? Do people slow down and pull over when you approach?
Old 06-09-19, 12:58 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Techstream arrived thank you Amazon, put it on old laptop, hooked up to car messed around for 5 minutes, had a stored code C1341 hydraulic error. Cleared the code, brakes and dash are normal again. Did not even need to do the "air bleed". Stayed off after test drive. Now onto changing rotors and pads on the other side! Question is do I gamble and bleed out some fluid again?
Old 06-09-19, 01:26 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Techstream arrived thank you Amazon, put it on old laptop, hooked up to car messed around for 5 minutes, had a stored code C1341 hydraulic error. Cleared the code, brakes and dash are normal again. Did not even need to do the "air bleed". Stayed off after test drive. Now onto changing rotors and pads on the other side! Question is do I gamble and bleed out some fluid again?
NO. Just drive it for a week. Then decide if it's normal or not. If it ain't broke......
Old 06-09-19, 06:49 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Brakes done. Did a quick brake bleed without Techstream. This time I got my wife to operate the pedal. Last time I used the one man bleeder. Think that was the problem because every time I opened up the bleeder under pressure (pedal pushed in) you hear that brake pump whirring up even with the car off. So I just cracked it a for a second or two a few times after wife depressed the pedal and let the pump get back to full pressure. Got about 100 ml out and called it a day. Then fired her up... the moment of truth... and... no codes or messages to pull over somewhere safe! Needless to say I then took her for a hard drive to bed in the brakes and even got the wheel wells smoking! Brakes are feeling great. The PQ (Posi-Quiet) Pro pads fit great and all the hardware came with them. They even come with free roadside assistance which seems unusual for a brake pad. Time will tell.

Old 06-15-19, 10:39 PM
hardtopte7
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the last few days I've done the following to my 2008 SWB LS460 RWD:

WeatherTech Floor Liners and Trunk Mat
Wiper Blades (Denso Designer)
Cabin Air Filter (Charcoal)
Trunk Latch/Opener Replacement (New Lexus)
Trunk Switch Replacement (New Toyota/Lexus)
Driver side front door keyhole cover replacement (New Lexus)
Spark Plugs (Denso Iridium TT)
Engine Air Filters (OEM Denso)
Injector Service (Factory Toyota Kit)
Throttle Body Cleaning
MAF Sensor Cleaning
Coolant Drain and Fill (Roechem OEM Pink)
Oil And Filter Change (Mobil 1 0W30 and OEM Lexus/Toyota Filter)
Metal Oil Filter Cap Conversion (New Lexus/Toyota)
Rear Differential Drain and Fill (Mobil 1 75W90 Synthetic)
Cleared Key Memory from ECU and Programmed 2 New Keys
Replaced pretty much every upper and lower engine and battery cover clip in the car

Coming next is:

ATF and filter replacement (waiting on filter)
Brake flush (need more time)

Also during my repair adventures I have to add with parts on order:

Rear Escape Handle Replacement and Rear Trunk Chrome Strip - Broke both while doing trunk switch as DIY was slightly unclear on how to get inner and outer trunk panel off
Valve Cover Tube Gaskets - Found at least 5 leaking while changing plugs

I purchased a high pressure fuel pump reseal kit but both my pumps are leak free. I also noticed some wear in my control arm bushings, but due to the exorbitant prices for arms, I will likely be doing some PSB bushings when the time comes. My best friend also has a 2008 SWB RWD LS460 so I will likely be tackling some of these same items on his.

This is the 1st vehicle I've owned where my wife and I fight over who gets to drive!
Old 06-16-19, 05:05 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtopte7
Over the last few days I've done the following to my 2008 SWB LS460 RWD:

WeatherTech Floor Liners and Trunk Mat
Wiper Blades (Denso Designer)
Cabin Air Filter (Charcoal)
Trunk Latch/Opener Replacement (New Lexus)
Trunk Switch Replacement (New Toyota/Lexus)
Driver side front door keyhole cover replacement (New Lexus)
Spark Plugs (Denso Iridium TT)
Engine Air Filters (OEM Denso)
Injector Service (Factory Toyota Kit)
Throttle Body Cleaning
MAF Sensor Cleaning
Coolant Drain and Fill (Roechem OEM Pink)
Oil And Filter Change (Mobil 1 0W30 and OEM Lexus/Toyota Filter)
Metal Oil Filter Cap Conversion (New Lexus/Toyota)
Rear Differential Drain and Fill (Mobil 1 75W90 Synthetic)
Cleared Key Memory from ECU and Programmed 2 New Keys
Replaced pretty much every upper and lower engine and battery cover clip in the car

Coming next is:

ATF and filter replacement (waiting on filter)
Brake flush (need more time)

Also during my repair adventures I have to add with parts on order:

Rear Escape Handle Replacement and Rear Trunk Chrome Strip - Broke both while doing trunk switch as DIY was slightly unclear on how to get inner and outer trunk panel off
Valve Cover Tube Gaskets - Found at least 5 leaking while changing plugs

I purchased a high pressure fuel pump reseal kit but both my pumps are leak free. I also noticed some wear in my control arm bushings, but due to the exorbitant prices for arms, I will likely be doing some PSB bushings when the time comes. My best friend also has a 2008 SWB RWD LS460 so I will likely be tackling some of these same items on his.

This is the 1st vehicle I've owned where my wife and I fight over who gets to drive!
Congrats on taking care of your car. how is it running with the work any difference?
quick question, mine is a ten, noticed you put ow-30 in yours, mine calls for ow-20 or 5w20
just making sure you have the right oil in your car maybe prior to the 2010 it called for ow -30

enjoy the ride
Old 06-16-19, 06:26 AM
hardtopte7
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
Congrats on taking care of your car. how is it running with the work any difference?
quick question, mine is a ten, noticed you put ow-30 in yours, mine calls for ow-20 or 5w20
just making sure you have the right oil in your car maybe prior to the 2010 it called for ow -30

enjoy the ride
It runs great and I'm gaining a substantial amount of confidence the more I work on it.

As for the oil, 0W20 to 0W30 won't cause any negative effects. Since I'm in Florida and I've been driving it pretty hard, the small increase in higher temperature protection is good for me. Also Mobil 1 0W30 is a "thin" 30 weight and is closer to 20 weight than most competitors. Still hopefully it helps with the slight tube gasket leaks I have right now.
Old 06-16-19, 07:41 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

awesome good luck

Quick Reply: Things I did to my Ls460 today