LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thank you and until next time

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 09:24 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Thank you and until next time

It has been a pleasure to learn from fellow CL members and contribute (hopefully) meaningful commentary to threads. The wife has approved my request to switch to team Tesla and I will be prepping the 2013 LS 460 for sale soon.

It has been a great journey and I fully expected to keep the LS much longer beyond these past two years. Tesla has combined my two passions (tech and cars) and I may as well let the LS go now before I rack up even more miles. I am grateful for the advice, support, and comaraderie at ClubLexus. The forum is truly one of the best out there. Wishing everyone many safe and happy miles ahead. Thank you.
The following 4 users liked this post by FatherTo1:
DaveGS4 (05-17-19), lexusalx (05-18-19), NotFasty (05-17-19), Soldier76 (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 10:08 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Good luck!
Old 05-17-19, 03:54 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi Fto1, sorry to hear you are selling your UltraLux 460. It's a special car that will make someone very happy.

It's been fun chatting with you, and learning a lot from your many contributions. Good luck with your move to Tesla, and safe motoring!
Old 05-17-19, 04:48 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Good Luck Dad. You could send it to me.
Old 05-17-19, 04:54 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

sir, good luck with your new car. seems like your decision is made.

I would share that it may make sense from the passion and love i sense you have for your LS that you wait to see how you enjoy the Tesla experience.

from an engineering perspective, they have done a great job but,
a tremendous amount of what we all love about our Ls460's will not be in the Tesla

the Quality control
the interior fit and finish
the comfort
the ride
the touch points of every component synced in harmony
the reliability

this is not a tesla bash for your decision i am sure you know what you want and making the right decision.

I had a tesla 3 on order and all the things above changed my decision even the reliability one that they have 1 1000 of parts of our cars in engine the service experience is sub par.

so good luck with your decision and if the finances allow maybe wait till your 100 percent happy with the tesla

have fun
Old 05-17-19, 05:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Hope you stick around even after you sell the LS... What are you going with? I know from prior posts you were looking at the 3, X, and S - so which one is the winner?
Old 05-17-19, 05:49 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Hope you stick around even after you sell the LS... What are you going with? I know from prior posts you were looking at the 3, X, and S - so which one is the winner?
https://www.lexusofnaples.com/resear...-tesla-model-s
Old 05-17-19, 06:53 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Well, that's interesting (and poorly-executed). They're claiming they're doing a comparison, but they're not. Maybe there's a reason for them not pointing out direct comparisons...?
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 07:13 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
sir, good luck with your new car. seems like your decision is made.

I would share that it may make sense from the passion and love i sense you have for your LS that you wait to see how you enjoy the Tesla experience.

from an engineering perspective, they have done a great job but,
a tremendous amount of what we all love about our Ls460's will not be in the Tesla

the Quality control
the interior fit and finish
the comfort
the ride
the touch points of every component synced in harmony
the reliability

this is not a tesla bash for your decision i am sure you know what you want and making the right decision.

I had a tesla 3 on order and all the things above changed my decision even the reliability one that they have 1 1000 of parts of our cars in engine the service experience is sub par.

so good luck with your decision and if the finances allow maybe wait till your 100 percent happy with the tesla

have fun
Thank you everyone for the well-wishes and continued support. A small part of me hopes I'm not making the wrong decision. The shortage of parts and subpar post-sale experience from Tesla is real and will take a long time to get better.

The build quality and lack of refinement used to deter me but I find myself still drawn to the other virtues of Teslas (tech, gas savings, performance). I don't like the idea of having to stop to Supercharge on long trips but enough conversations with Tesla owners leads me to believe the typical stop may only need to be 15-30 minutes and not as bad as I feared.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Greetings, JR. I have now driven two Model 3, two Model X (6- and 7-seater), and a Model S. I am going for either a vintage 2014/2015 S 85 RWD in the $35K range or wait for prices to come down on a 2016.5 facelifted S 70D that can be unlocked to a 75D for $500 (and then uncorked, for free, to drop 0-60 down to 4.2 sec).

I love the minimalistic interior of the Model 3 but it is simply too small for my taste, although the tech and range is great. The 6-seater X is really spacious and I love the Falcon-Wing Doors. I can get comfortable even in the third row due to the open aisle in the middle. The 7-seater was way to cramped and annoyed me like the 3-row RX. On paper, I thought the 7-seater would be best until I experienced it in person. Alas, the cheapest X is in the $65K range and we don't want to spend that much. The X is fun to drive too and fast for an SUV but I still prefer a full-size sedan. My thinking is to start with an S and maybe the wife will come around in time for the Model Y for herself.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 05-17-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 07:51 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

@mikesrx350 , I forgot to mention that the wife asked if the Tesla will be comfortable. To answer that, we will be testing an S 75D for a full day soon so she can see for herself.

Turns out the gentleman we purchased the LS from went on to buy a new S 75D and turned it into a business renting out Teslas. His site links to Turo. Seeing as how I'm following in his footsteps of LS to Model S, he has graciously offered to let me drive his 75D for free.
Old 05-17-19, 08:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you everyone for the well-wishes and continued support. A small part of me hopes I'm not making the wrong decision. The shortage of parts and subpar post-sale experience from Tesla is real and will take a long time to get better.

The build quality and lack of refinement used to deter me but I found myself still drawn to the other virtues of Teslas (tech, gas savings, performance). I don't like the idea of having to stop to Supercharge on long trips but enough conversations with Tesla owners leads me to believe the typical stop may only need to be 15-30 minutes and not as bad as I feared.

Greetings, JR. I have now driven two Model 3, two Model X (6- and 7-seater), and a Model S. I am going for either a vintage 2014/2015 S 85 RWD in the $35K range or wait for prices to come down on a 2016.5 facelifted S 70D that can be unlocked to a 75D for $500 (and then uncorked, for free, to drop 0-60 down to 4.2 sec).

I love the minimalistic interior of the Model 3 but it is simply too small for my taste, although the tech and range is great. The 6-seater X is really spacious and I love the Falcon-Wing Doors. I can get comfortable even in the third row due to the open aisle in the middle. The 7-seater was way to cramped and annoyed me like the 3-row RX. On paper, I thought the 7-seater would be best until I experienced it in person. Alas, the cheapest X is in the $65K range and we don't want to spend that much. The X is fun to drive too and fast for an SUV but I still prefer a full-size sedan. My thinking is to start with an S and maybe the wife will come around in time for the Model Y for herself.
Nice! I'm a fan of the Model S and am going to look at a Model 3 in the next few days. Glad you have potentially found something that will work for you - please update us after having the 75D for a day on your thoughts on comfort, etc. I was very impressed when I drove a Model S (about 35 minute test drive in various conditions).
Old 05-17-19, 09:41 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice - I know many that have switched from LS's to Model S's after Lexus failed to thoroughly refresh in 2013. P85D/P90D would be my LS replacement if it weren't for their long term reliability. I would want the option to keep the car post-warranty but Tesla's monopoly on parts and repair facilities hurts the repair cost and in turn, resale value

Last edited by Jasoneo5; 05-17-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 01:08 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by FunFact
I would buy a P85D, just because it’s a much more enjoyable car to drive than a P70D or P75D. It is also a more desirable car whenever you sell it.
The D cars are plenty fast for me. P would definitely be more fun but I've read the P suspension is also stiffer and rides harsher. For that reason, I don't want a P...but I have not driven a P to experience first hand. I didn't like how hard the LS 460 F Sport rode on a test drive if that's any indication.
Old 05-17-19, 01:32 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

You have been a good contributor and will be missed. Good luck with the Tesla.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (07-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 03:52 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I rode in a friend’s Tesla S P100D. That car was wicked fast.

Good luck with finding your dream Model S!

I can’t imagine myself driving an EV. I’m old school. I like the sporty exhaust sounds too much to give up.

Quick Reply: Thank you and until next time