LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

12v switched power in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 08:25 PM
flyc2c
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 12v switched power in trunk?

Just picked up a 2007 LS with 25k original miles. The ML amp works just fine but I want to add some cooling fans (low amp computer style) to aid in keeping the amp cool. I cannot believe they stuck this thing where they did. It's no wonder they fail. Might as well put it inside a sleeping bag.

Is there a switched 12v power source somewhere in the trunk I could tap off of? Max 1/2 an amp for two fans.

Thanks!

Last edited by flyc2c; 05-01-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 03:01 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Before that, what is your idea for the fans? Part of the problem seems to be the amp itself, and the other part is the enclosed location that you mentioned. Because it's so enclosed your fans have no real room to breath, and you're essentially just going to be moving hot air over the amp or you're going to try to exhaust hot air out and run into intake restrictions. You probably need to end up cutting some sort of hole as an intake or exhaust, depending on setup. The amplifier wires themselves may be 12V switched.
Another member did this mod already and it looks easy to do. The link is in the Audio section somewhere. I'll try to find it later today.
Old 05-01-19, 03:11 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Just picked up a 2007 LS with 25k original miles. The ML amp works just fine but I want to add some cooling fans (low amp computer style) to aid in keeping the amp cool. I can believe they stuck this thing where they did. It's no wonder they fail. Might as well put it inside a sleeping bag.

Is there a switched 12v power source somewhere in the trunk I could tap off of? Max 1/2 an amp for two fans.

Thanks!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...repair-14.html
Look at post # 200-208.
The following users liked this post:
mambo619 (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 01:32 PM
flyc2c
Driver School Candidate

Before that, what is your idea for the fans? Part of the problem seems to be the amp itself, and the other part is the enclosed location that you mentioned. Because it's so enclosed your fans have no real room to breath, and you're essentially just going to be moving hot air over the amp or you're going to try to exhaust hot air out and run into intake restrictions. You probably need to end up cutting some sort of hole as an intake or exhaust, depending on setup. The amplifier wires themselves may be 12V switched.
Unfortunately the amps black wire(s) is constant hot. One of the wires must be switched to turn the amp on. I intend mold a fiberglass duct system for both intake and exhaust. The exhaust will vent out the rubber flapper valve. I just need to find 12v switched. I measured the air temp behind the lining and it was 80 degrees above trunk air temp after using the radio. Regardless of how "hot" the trunk air is it is significantly cooler than the amp area. Circulating the hot trunk air through the amp area would a huge improvement. The amp is well insulated in it's factory location with inadequate cooling fans, which is incredibly bad for electronics. I've even found upgraded fans for the amp itself. I have a pretty strong working knowledge of Bernoulli's principals and I'm sure I can get the amp temp down. I just need 12v.

Thanks for looking fwhomeboy. Unfortunately no 12v source was revealed in that thread.

Once I get this done there will be a DIY thread.
Old 05-01-19, 01:48 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Unfortunately the amps black wire(s) is constant hot. One of the wires must be switched to turn the amp on. I intend mold a fiberglass duct system for both intake and exhaust. The exhaust will vent out the rubber flapper valve. I just need to find 12v switched. I measured the air temp behind the lining and it was 80 degrees above trunk air temp after using the radio. Regardless of how "hot" the trunk air is it is significantly cooler than the amp area. Circulating the hot trunk air through the amp area would a huge improvement. The amp is well insulated in it's factory location with inadequate cooling fans, which is incredibly bad for electronics. I've even found upgraded fans for the amp itself. I have a pretty strong working knowledge of Bernoulli's principals and I'm sure I can get the amp temp down. I just need 12v.

Thanks for looking fwhomeboy. Unfortunately no 12v source was revealed in that thread.

Once I get this done there will be a DIY thread.
After you do all the hard part, I'm going to follow your lead and do mine too. Hurry up !!!!
Old 05-01-19, 02:17 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

What would be more impressive, and likely more effective, would be opening the amp up and adding liquid cooling as found on CPUs. This could not only be more effectively hidden, it would also allow for lower temperatures to be achieved.
I think I'll just cut two holes and add two computer fans and grilles just above he amp. One intake and one exhaust. Probably one foot apart.
Now, I just need one of you engineering types to find me a switched 12 volt source.
Old 05-01-19, 02:25 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Example of driftgirl setup.
Old 05-02-19, 02:12 PM
flyc2c
Driver School Candidate

Oh well, the amp took a *&^($%#@ today. Chirping the whole way home. Hello, United Radio.
Old 05-02-19, 02:18 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Oh well, the amp took a *&^($%#@ today. Chirping the whole way home. Hello, United Radio.
Awww Man. I hate to hear that.
Old 05-02-19, 07:02 PM
flyc2c
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Awww Man. I hate to hear that.
Well, I bought a $70k car with 25k miles for 13 grand. Hard to (female dog) complain.

Last edited by flyc2c; 05-02-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 03:47 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Well, I bought a $70k car with 25k miles for 13 grand. Hard to (female dog) complain.
Check this out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8448432
Then this one.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...mp-repair.html
Old 05-03-19, 12:19 PM
flyc2c
Driver School Candidate

Sent the amp off. Anyone have a failure after the repair or does this permanently fix it?
Old 05-03-19, 05:04 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Sent the amp off. Anyone have a failure after the repair or does this permanently fix it?
Some people did have to send the amp back after it had been repaired. Go back and read those links I posted above. Good info.
Old 05-12-19, 03:28 PM
flyc2c
Driver School Candidate

Just got my ML amp fixed. Can't say I'm happy. I want to know what went bad, what was done and what was replaced.

Ever wonder what you get for $775? I asked for the parts replaced to be sent with my amp. This is what I got.

Wedding ring for scale. Some type of SMD. No values on it. For **** sake if this was all it was United Radio management must drive Ferrari's.
Old 05-12-19, 04:31 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Just got my ML amp fixed. Can't say I'm happy. I want to know what went bad, what was done and what was replaced.

Ever wonder what you get for $775? I asked for the parts replaced to be sent with my amp. This is what I got.

Wedding ring for scale. Some type of SMD. No values on it. For **** sake if this was all it was United Radio management must drive Ferrari's.
Man, you gotta call them guys and ask what is that, please.

Quick Reply: 12v switched power in trunk?