LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Most useless features on the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 09:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jimrd
For me, the live radio pause function...
Originally Posted by bigsherv
What in the world?
I imagine my 2014 that doesn’t have a hard drive can’t do this.
Interesting, I never thought of it as live pause. Does it work like that? I always treated it as a quick way to mute the radio when going through the drive-thru, lol.
Old 04-22-19, 09:11 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
What in the world?
I imagine my 2014 that doesn’t have a hard drive can’t do this.
Ahhh...another year over year difference Lexus throws us in mid-generation...Anyway, I guess it might be useful to those who listen to the radio (especially ball games) and get a lot of incoming calls...I'm 99% of the time stream or SAT...
Old 04-22-19, 09:17 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Interesting, I never thought of it as live pause. Does it work like that? I always treated it as a quick way to mute the radio when going through the drive-thru, lol.
The system automatically caches up to 15mins of live radio when interrupted and resumes automatically when the interruption ends. You have to go thru three steps (menu, radio, options) to get to the Rev/Pause/Live/FF control buttons...if you change stations or source or turn the audio system off it dumps the cache...
Old 04-25-19, 06:59 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardgil
How about the self parking feature? Not that accurate, too much trouble to set up.
Agreed... the self park feature on my 2007 is pretty much worthless. If I try it wile backing up on a sligh hill, the car stops and errors out, that is IF it lines up correctly and sees the actual spot... Every once and a while...it's lined up correctly and works ok...but, it's rare.

Too bad too, as it was a feature I really wanted...
Old 04-27-19, 03:55 AM
LeePowers
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn near the AFS. Never notice it. I only notice my knee sometimes turns AFS OFF. I dont think I go around any roundabouts that are round enough.
Old 04-27-19, 07:17 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Had to think about this for awhile, but for me, the brake hold feature. Just don't find it useful and never really liked using it. Maybe I'm missing something.

another one of the best features, when seat belt on, hit hold button and coming to lights don't worry about keeping foot on brake
worthless if you do 100% highway

if you do a mixed driving like most a great feature
Old 04-27-19, 10:43 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97tj
Ok, this thread seems to veer towards annoying issues now, so I might as well whine...my 08 always jump back to nav screen after shifting from reverse to drive, instead of what was on before which is the radio or VL2 screen. And sometimes it goes to the blank screen which I would have to push one of the switch on the side to redisplay again!
And I wish the steering wheel heater was on the center console or somewhere else more accessible instead of behind the wheel on the dash.
Ok, off to enjoy my cheese now...
I'm about 95% sure that the IDS software can adjust the "auto return to NAV" feature. I was just looking at it the other day and it can definitely be adjusted to keep the latest screen you are on.
Old 04-28-19, 01:40 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh my, I have not found anything yet.
Old 04-28-19, 08:05 PM
DaveGIowa
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Self parking

Have never seen this up, I'm an excellent driver, back and forth in the driveway.

My 02 LS430 Ultra had the radar cruise and I loved it. I was disappointed when I got my 08 LS600hL and the system is not as good. As mentioned earlier it loses the car in front in curves. Other than that it works well.
Old 04-29-19, 07:49 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
another one of the best features, when seat belt on, hit hold button and coming to lights don't worry about keeping foot on brake
worthless if you do 100% highway

if you do a mixed driving like most a great feature
There is a theory that the Auto-Hold contributes to Brake Actuator Failure. Unsure of validity, but it's something to consider. For me, the "inconvenience" of having to hold the brake at lights is outweighed by the chance it might contribute to a $2500 repair.
Old 04-29-19, 08:48 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When is the last time the "soft close" doors features were used? As in people specifically close the door neeearrly all the way, and let it close by itself?
Old 04-29-19, 11:44 AM
nickderosa
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aw001
When is the last time the "soft close" doors features were used? As in people specifically close the door neeearrly all the way, and let it close by itself?
This happens to me about 1-2 times per week. Usually it's when I have my hands full (e.g. groceries). It's nice not having to re-grab the door handle and possibly bang the bags of groceries into the car. First world problems are just the worst
Old 04-29-19, 01:41 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

or closed by kids...
but definitely not a common issue for most adult usage!
Old 04-29-19, 02:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nickderosa
This happens to me about 1-2 times per week. Usually it's when I have my hands full (e.g. groceries). It's nice not having to re-grab the door handle and possibly bang the bags of groceries into the car. First world problems are just the worst
Originally Posted by Red97tj
or closed by kids...
but definitely not a common issue for most adult usage!
I don't close my door forcefully, in any car I've owned. The amount of force I use as alwasys been sufficient for Hondas/Toyotas. Sometimes I'm on an incline or in a hurry and didn't give it enough push. In those instances it is nice not to worry about and know the car will take care of it for me. When I'm in a rush I'm already past the trunk by the time I realize the door isn't fully closed. The soft-close doors save me from going back to close the door fully.

I did need to teach/warn our daughter about the soft-close doors in case she tries to put her fingers in the gap and pull the door open. Would hate for the soft-close doors to shut on her precious fingers.
Old 04-29-19, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I actually use the soft close doors all the time. Its such a tightly sealed car that its common for a door not to shut all the way in my experience.

Quick Reply: Most useless features on the LS?