Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017)
My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give. >

My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give.

Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give.

 
Old 04-18-19, 06:12 PM
  #31  
1WILLY1
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (9)
 
1WILLY1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 4,668
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
It's done, guys. No need to keep questioning my choice, but feel free to discuss. The 430 was $10,596 plus $595 dealer fee...tires are near new, detailed it. Brakes are not the strongest stoppers I've had. The passenger side mirror doesn't move with the controls. Their cost to replace was almost $700. They said if I buy one on Ebay they will install and paint it for free. It does have NAV and unfortunately no XM radio so I need to do something about that. As I said the timing belt was done at 70K. I hated the floaty steering of the 460; it feels much heavier than the 430. I just wanted it to be done so I could focus on some home issues. I really am happy with the car.

The frustrating thing is I keep getting in the car with the dang key in my pocket and reaching for the START button that isn't there.
the steering feel is definitely better in the 430 . The 460 is electric and im not sure what the benefits of that are, but it isn't as smooth and light as the 430 .
1WILLY1 is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 06:40 PM
  #32  
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fl
Posts: 1,451
Liked 54 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
It does have NAV and unfortunately no XM radio so I need to do something about that. I hated the floaty steering of the 460; it feels much heavier than the 430. I just wanted it to be done so I could focus on some home issues. I really am happy with the car.
Check out VaisTech for your XM situation. You'll be happy with it since it uses the factory system and is super easy for just about any shop to install. Added it in my LS430 about a week after I purchased it and never had issues. They exclusively focus on Toyota/Lexus products and have a good reputation within the forum. Should run you about $300 all in (unless you can install it yourself).

Not sure why steering felt floaty on the 460 compared to the 430. Having owned a 400, 430 and 460, I think 460 feels tightest of them all (and I have the LWB which was never offered on 400 or 430). No longer important to you, though. Glad you're enjoying the 430. Great car - I still miss certain aspects of mine. It won't let you down.
jrmckinley is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 07:38 PM
  #33  
JLAWS
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,276
Liked 94 Times in 79 Posts
Default

The real purpose of this thread all along was some who just wanted to bash the LS460 and praise the LS430 You never really wanted one. I've owned 2 LS430s. They were great but the LS460 blows them away. I love the power and coolness of the DVD bypass mod for long trips. Now go to the ls430 forum where you belong
JLAWS is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 08:50 PM
  #34  
1WILLY1
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (9)
 
1WILLY1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 4,668
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JLAWS View Post
Just dealt with a tire shop that said they can't swap an unprogrammed wheel sensor from a 19 inch spare I bought with a programmed one from an 18 inch wheel because I was not putting on a new tire! The rep said it was against company policy! Then he said they couldn't program sensors which I don't ask them to do! It took 4 times for it to sink in on exactly what I wanted to do. They redeemed themselves by doing it for free for me.
\


They struggle with anything other then you just walking in, leaving them your credit card and letting them do what they want.

I could go on and on with stories from tire shops , but the most recent is when the shop ive been dealing with snapped my tpms sensor while trying to remove a tire , then giving me attitude and trying to give me a used sensor they had laying around the shop , I rejected it , they ended up repairing the original somehow and I decided im done with them (had various issues with them over the years , destroyed tires on removal, damaged wheels , general attitude sucks etc....)

So I go down the street to another shop, this one a well known franchise , active green and ross , this time they give me my wheel and tire back, and say "there was no TPMS sensor on this wheel this is how you gave it to us" , I said you guys broke it didn't you ? I personally installed the tpms, and been running them for 2 years, so of course I know it was there.

I walked into the back and started looking around the tire machine, and of course I see my broken sensor right there on the tire machine itself . then they say some lame excuse and order me a new tpms .. just one of many stories , its incompetence all over the place from top to bottom, I highly doubt its just here in Canada.
1WILLY1 is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 09:24 PM
  #35  
FunFact
Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 167
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1 View Post
\


They struggle with anything other then you just walking in, leaving them your credit card and letting them do what they want.

I could go on and on with stories from tire shops , but the most recent is when the shop ive been dealing with snapped my tpms sensor while trying to remove a tire , then giving me attitude and trying to give me a used sensor they had laying around the shop , I rejected it , they ended up repairing the original somehow and I decided im done with them (had various issues with them over the years , destroyed tires on removal, damaged wheels , general attitude sucks etc....)

So I go down the street to another shop, this one a well known franchise , active green and ross , this time they give me my wheel and tire back, and say "there was no TPMS sensor on this wheel this is how you gave it to us" , I said you guys broke it didn't you ? I personally installed the tpms, and been running them for 2 years, so of course I know it was there.

I walked into the back and started looking around the tire machine, and of course I see my broken sensor right there on the tire machine itself . then they say some lame excuse and order me a new tpms .. just one of many stories , its incompetence all over the place from top to bottom, I highly doubt its just here in Canada.
Advice: take a time-stamped photo of your pressure screen with all the readings coming in before you take it into the shop, this way they can't try to claim that you have a missing TPMS or some nonsense, because the magical lack of a reading that now appears will just make them look silly.
FunFact is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 11:47 PM
  #36  
1WILLY1
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (9)
 
1WILLY1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 4,668
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FunFact View Post
Advice: take a time-stamped photo of your pressure screen with all the readings coming in before you take it into the shop, this way they can't try to claim that you have a missing TPMS or some nonsense, because the magical lack of a reading that now appears will just make them look silly.
the wheels were not actually on my car when I brought it in, so maybe that's why they thought they could lie about it
1WILLY1 is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 04:31 AM
  #37  
Muddy
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog View Post
You can paint the center section of the grille on the 2013-2017 models to match the car. Changes everything. The 2013+ cars are worth it.
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link? My Google skillz are not good enough to find an example.
Muddy is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 05:12 AM
  #38  
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fl
Posts: 1,451
Liked 54 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link? My Google skillz are not good enough to find an example.
He (DedBirdDog) did it to his 460. It looks awesome. Maybe send him a PM and have him send you the link or a pic if he's not following this thread. There was one part of the thread where his car and SW17LS's car (same color, different years) were posted right above & below each other to show the difference. I like having that middle part painted to match the car color.
jrmckinley is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 10:53 AM
  #39  
Muddy
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: FL
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post
He (DedBirdDog) did it to his 460. It looks awesome. Maybe send him a PM and have him send you the link or a pic if he's not following this thread. There was one part of the thread where his car and SW17LS's car (same color, different years) were posted right above & below each other to show the difference. I like having that middle part painted to match the car color.
Found it. Thanks!
Muddy is offline  
Old 04-20-19, 07:04 AM
  #40  
IchBin
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: wi
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1 View Post
You would be shocked to find out the so called "experts" rarely know as much as you think

Ive ran into all kinds in my life and continue too almost daily:

-idiotic clueless "certified mechanics"
-Tire shops that don't know how to change tires
-Body shops that cant paint
-car dealers/salesmen who know nothing about the cars they sell
-chefs who cant cook
-personal trainers who don't know how to get themselves into good shape

The list goes on and on. People are also liars and will always try to pass the problem onto you , which is what they did with the LS430 , u should of just gotten a full refund.

With that said I've never heard of a 460 blowing a tranny, if it happens its super rare.
I agree about Lexus LS' wearing out transmissions early. The engine and transmission are what built their reputations for being so well made.

My current car I am looking to sell and move up is a 2002 LS430. It had 170k on it when I bought it. Right before it was sold to me the local Lexus dealer told them the rear differential as failing and needed to be replaced. This car had been serviced every 5k at a Lexus dealer. He was smart enough to get a 2nd opinion. A really good independent import shop looked it over. The noise and vibration coming from the rear were loose exhaust parts. I know this ended up being true, as I have had it now over 4 years, and put another 40k miles on it, no issues with the rear differential. I would be willing to bet, something other than the transmission is causing that vibration and noise. They just guessed at the most expensive possibility. Vibrations and noises are almost always wearable parts that go every 100k. Like brakes, balancing tires, suspension parts, bearings on water pumps and pulleys, etc Unless it is leaking and they pulled oil and tested it and found an issue, I say they most likely misdiagnosed that car!
IchBin is offline  
The following users liked this post: IchBin
1WILLY1 (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 11:43 AM
  #41  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,413
Liked 612 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Guarantee the car didn't actually need a new transmission
SW17LS is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: