LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 06:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
It's done, guys. No need to keep questioning my choice, but feel free to discuss. The 430 was $10,596 plus $595 dealer fee...tires are near new, detailed it. Brakes are not the strongest stoppers I've had. The passenger side mirror doesn't move with the controls. Their cost to replace was almost $700. They said if I buy one on Ebay they will install and paint it for free. It does have NAV and unfortunately no XM radio so I need to do something about that. As I said the timing belt was done at 70K. I hated the floaty steering of the 460; it feels much heavier than the 430. I just wanted it to be done so I could focus on some home issues. I really am happy with the car.

The frustrating thing is I keep getting in the car with the dang key in my pocket and reaching for the START button that isn't there.
the steering feel is definitely better in the 430 . The 460 is electric and im not sure what the benefits of that are, but it isn't as smooth and light as the 430 .
Old 04-18-19, 06:40 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

It does have NAV and unfortunately no XM radio so I need to do something about that. I hated the floaty steering of the 460; it feels much heavier than the 430. I just wanted it to be done so I could focus on some home issues. I really am happy with the car.
Check out VaisTech for your XM situation. You'll be happy with it since it uses the factory system and is super easy for just about any shop to install. Added it in my LS430 about a week after I purchased it and never had issues. They exclusively focus on Toyota/Lexus products and have a good reputation within the forum. Should run you about $300 all in (unless you can install it yourself).

Not sure why steering felt floaty on the 460 compared to the 430. Having owned a 400, 430 and 460, I think 460 feels tightest of them all (and I have the LWB which was never offered on 400 or 430). No longer important to you, though. Glad you're enjoying the 430. Great car - I still miss certain aspects of mine. It won't let you down.
Old 04-18-19, 07:38 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

The real purpose of this thread all along was some who just wanted to bash the LS460 and praise the LS430 You never really wanted one. I've owned 2 LS430s. They were great but the LS460 blows them away. I love the power and coolness of the DVD bypass mod for long trips. Now go to the ls430 forum where you belong
Old 04-18-19, 08:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Just dealt with a tire shop that said they can't swap an unprogrammed wheel sensor from a 19 inch spare I bought with a programmed one from an 18 inch wheel because I was not putting on a new tire! The rep said it was against company policy! Then he said they couldn't program sensors which I don't ask them to do! It took 4 times for it to sink in on exactly what I wanted to do. They redeemed themselves by doing it for free for me.
\

They struggle with anything other then you just walking in, leaving them your credit card and letting them do what they want.

I could go on and on with stories from tire shops , but the most recent is when the shop ive been dealing with snapped my tpms sensor while trying to remove a tire , then giving me attitude and trying to give me a used sensor they had laying around the shop , I rejected it , they ended up repairing the original somehow and I decided im done with them (had various issues with them over the years , destroyed tires on removal, damaged wheels , general attitude sucks etc....)

So I go down the street to another shop, this one a well known franchise , active green and ross , this time they give me my wheel and tire back, and say "there was no TPMS sensor on this wheel this is how you gave it to us" , I said you guys broke it didn't you ? I personally installed the tpms, and been running them for 2 years, so of course I know it was there.

I walked into the back and started looking around the tire machine, and of course I see my broken sensor right there on the tire machine itself ……. then they say some lame excuse and order me a new tpms ….. just one of many stories , its incompetence all over the place from top to bottom, I highly doubt its just here in Canada.
Old 04-18-19, 11:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FunFact
Advice: take a time-stamped photo of your pressure screen with all the readings coming in before you take it into the shop, this way they can't try to claim that you have a missing TPMS or some nonsense, because the magical lack of a reading that now appears will just make them look silly.
the wheels were not actually on my car when I brought it in, so maybe that's why they thought they could lie about it
Old 04-19-19, 04:31 AM
Muddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
You can paint the center section of the grille on the 2013-2017 models to match the car. Changes everything. The 2013+ cars are worth it.
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link? My Google skillz are not good enough to find an example.
Old 04-19-19, 05:12 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddy
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link? My Google skillz are not good enough to find an example.
He (DedBirdDog) did it to his 460. It looks awesome. Maybe send him a PM and have him send you the link or a pic if he's not following this thread. There was one part of the thread where his car and SW17LS's car (same color, different years) were posted right above & below each other to show the difference. I like having that middle part painted to match the car color.
Old 04-19-19, 10:53 AM
Muddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
He (DedBirdDog) did it to his 460. It looks awesome. Maybe send him a PM and have him send you the link or a pic if he's not following this thread. There was one part of the thread where his car and SW17LS's car (same color, different years) were posted right above & below each other to show the difference. I like having that middle part painted to match the car color.
Found it. Thanks!
Old 04-20-19, 07:04 AM
IchBin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
You would be shocked to find out the so called "experts" rarely know as much as you think

Ive ran into all kinds in my life and continue too almost daily:

-idiotic clueless "certified mechanics"
-Tire shops that don't know how to change tires
-Body shops that cant paint
-car dealers/salesmen who know nothing about the cars they sell
-chefs who cant cook
-personal trainers who don't know how to get themselves into good shape

The list goes on and on. People are also liars and will always try to pass the problem onto you , which is what they did with the LS430 , u should of just gotten a full refund.

With that said I've never heard of a 460 blowing a tranny, if it happens its super rare.
I agree about Lexus LS' wearing out transmissions early. The engine and transmission are what built their reputations for being so well made.

My current car I am looking to sell and move up is a 2002 LS430. It had 170k on it when I bought it. Right before it was sold to me the local Lexus dealer told them the rear differential as failing and needed to be replaced. This car had been serviced every 5k at a Lexus dealer. He was smart enough to get a 2nd opinion. A really good independent import shop looked it over. The noise and vibration coming from the rear were loose exhaust parts. I know this ended up being true, as I have had it now over 4 years, and put another 40k miles on it, no issues with the rear differential. I would be willing to bet, something other than the transmission is causing that vibration and noise. They just guessed at the most expensive possibility. Vibrations and noises are almost always wearable parts that go every 100k. Like brakes, balancing tires, suspension parts, bearings on water pumps and pulleys, etc Unless it is leaking and they pulled oil and tested it and found an issue, I say they most likely misdiagnosed that car!
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Guarantee the car didn't actually need a new transmission
Old 05-03-19, 06:42 PM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give.

I am heartbroken, pissed, annoyed yet somewhat relieved at the time. So on 4/6 I closed on a White 2010 LS460 w/128K miles. I did not do a PPI because the maintenance records were stellar, pretty much everything was done at the same dealer. Serviced every 5K miles at the dealer it was originally sold from and then traded in at. I test drove a week before buying, and I test drove it the day I bought it; everything seeemed. The VERY next day I noticed a strange vibration about every 5 minutes or so when going a steady 40-50mph. Fast foward - took it back to the dealer. Service says transmission is going.

1. Get a PPI
2. Get a #$^$ PPI
3. Read step 1 again, I don't care what the maintenance says.
4. No step 4 necessary

Needless to say I'm not about that "paying $8K to fix a tranny on a car I bought a week ago for $15K" life. Sales Manager dude, you need to make this right. They have no other 460s so they offer some other brands. I'm not accepting anything non-Lexus. He offers a 2006 LS430 w/90K miles (which is actually what I originally wanted) and $2,300 back. At some point I have another $3K coming from the guy who totaled my Optima. I drive the car HARD. I test the brakes, door locks, rear shade, everything I can think of. It's not a color I'm crazy but it really is in good shape; good enough to accept.

I'm supposed to pick up the 430 after work today, telling them you guys better check that car up and down. The sales guy is now suggesting that I use the $2,300 to get an extended warranty, but his motivation is so they can keep the money...not to protect me.

WWJD? What would you do? What should I do? Leave the cash, take the warranty? Leave the gun, take the cannoli? The timing belt has already been replaced. I saw the receipt for it.

* Before you start I honestly believe they didn't know about the trans. They just took the car on a trade-in a week before I bought it. They didn't even have pictures of it on the sales sites, just a description. Probably gave the guy $11-12K toward something new. It wouldn't make sense for them to do that, replace the trans then try to sell it for $20K+ because they'd never get it.
$12k for a '06 430 sounds like a fair deal to me.

I agree with members here that the quality control is phenomenal for 430. All the leather parts in my '02 only exhibit minimal wear. As for my '10 460, there are prominent signs of leather ageing.... (Yes cracks). The dealer where I bought it from offers complimentary replacement of the leather parts. In other words, inspect the leather status if u plan to get another 460. It is also noteworthy that please test drive the car at highway speed. If there is wind noise. Pass. This is something that I did not expect when I bought my 460. As for the 430, make sure the 90K service is done by the previous owner since the timing belt / water pump job therein costs $1600.

I am biased to 430 since this is the first Lexus and also the first car I own. The only downside is to sacrifice BT music steaming. That's it. However, if you can find one loaded with ML, I would have pulled the trigger to bring the car home with $12k.

Don't get the warranty. This is intruigingly what the Lexus salesman from whom the purchases of my 430 and 460 were made said. He is certainly a warm-hearted, ethical man. Keep the $2300 for your 460 hunt (if u want to keep 2 generations of LS like me haha)