LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 06:14 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would get my money back immediately and buy a beater for the meantime.
Old 04-17-19, 06:27 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hennessy is probably one of the biggest auto dealers in the Southeast. Feel free to Google how many dealerships they own just in the ATL area alone. I'm sure if it was something as trivial as fluids they would have said so. I might have been willing to pay for labor if they covered the parts.

I took the 430. I will pay it off in six months and begin looking for that White 2012 460L or Sport I'm dreaming about. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 04-17-19, 06:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
I took the 430. I will pay it off in six months and begin looking for that White 2012 460L or Sport I'm dreaming about. Thanks for all your responses.
I think that was probably your best course of action. Good luck with the new LS430!
Old 04-17-19, 06:49 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I just don't understand your car decision. What If LS460L shows up tomorrow? Also the right LS460L just does pop up for you to buy. Many have hunted for months even years to find one. Most will even travel out of state to get one.

Now with the LS430 you might as well keep it until 2013+ LS460 come down in price.
Old 04-17-19, 07:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Buying an old school 430 over a 460 would be a huge negative for me. I just wouldn't do it. Your situation sucks, but to settle for the 430 would not happen if it were me.
Old 04-17-19, 11:29 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Have owned a 2005 LS430 Custom Luxury and now a 2010 LS460 Sport Package, I must admit the LS430 is well built but dated. As you purchased a LS460, you should be able to get what you had purchased or something alike to be satisfied. Don’t settle! State law allows a short term return policy for any reason in the case you may not be satisfied. As you took it in early (1 day later) for the tranny problem, you should have a way out. By agreeing to the LS430 for the absorbent amount you’re only doing the dealer a favor. Especially when you are already thinking of just settling for the LS430 and to look for the LS460 later. Get what you want and what you paid for. Ask for your money back or consult an attorney. That would be my approach.

I too had issues when I had purchased my LS460 from a well known dealer. I had purchased it with a 30 day warranty and found that the front camber arms were shot. They did what they could not to pay out to fix the issue. I was professional and they had changed out the front control arms, $5500 bill. Although my brother told me to get a PPI after, I was too lazy. Now I had found the rear control arms are shot outside the short term warranty period. Lesson learned, can’t trust even renowned dealer with their 160 point inspection BS. Just be professional while being firm. Good luck.
Old 04-18-19, 06:49 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I just don't understand your car decision. What If LS460L shows up tomorrow? Also the right LS460L just does pop up for you to buy. Many have hunted for months even years to find one. Most will even travel out of state to get one.
You just answered your own question. One might show up tomorrow or it could be years. I know some do but I'm not flying somewhere to test drive a car. I did have a long distance relationship once where I guess you could say I flew to test drive a girlfriend, hah.

Now with the LS430 you might as well keep it until 2013+ LS460 come down in price.[/QUOTE]
If I don't see the right 2012 I just may wait until a 2020 is affordable just to stay with my 14-year upgrade pattern. 1992-2006-2020

I can't stand the X shaped grill on the newer models; that was why I said 2012.
The following users liked this post:
Jasoneo5 (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 07:59 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

You can paint the center section of the grille on the 2013-2017 models to match the car. Changes everything. The 2013+ cars are worth it.
Old 04-18-19, 08:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You just answered your own question. One might show up tomorrow or it could be years. I know some do but I'm not flying somewhere to test drive a car. I did have a long distance relationship once where I guess you could say I flew to test drive a girlfriend, hah.

Now with the LS430 you might as well keep it until 2013+ LS460 come down in price.
If I don't see the right 2012 I just may wait until a 2020 is affordable just to stay with my 14-year upgrade pattern. 1992-2006-2020

I can't stand the X shaped grill on the newer models; that was why I said 2012.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most that them giving you a older previous gen LS430 and some money back is still not enough, they are just doing what won't cost them any money just to get you out of their hair. Dealerships get cars at auctions, have plenty of connections to get vehicles from different states, it should not be hard for them to find a LS460 that is much closer to what you want. LS430 is nice but I honestly would take a 4th Gen GS over a LS430 if they can't get you a LS460, the value on the LS430 is just going to plummet more and more, more so then a LS460, the trade off they are giving you is not very good at all.

If you are anywhere near Atlanta there is a pretty large selection of LS 460's there, same with GS350's, Nashville has a pretty good selection. You and the dealership is in a good area to find a decent LS not too far. I would demand the dealership fix/replace the transmission for free or do everything they can to find you another LS460 that fits what you want and say even if they find one that has less miles/priced too high they should eat the cost considering what you had to go with, see if they will let you drive one of their beaters/loaner until they find you another LS460, I would also test drive a GS350 and see what you think.

You can paint the 2013 grills, I don't care for the 2013+ new styling/grill but painting it helps from the pics I have seen(I even made a thread asking about aftermarket grills), I still find it much nicer looking then the 2019/2020, talk about a huge grill and the interior leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by UDel; 04-18-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 09:18 AM
mambo619
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So, something similar happened to me when i bought my first LS460. 2011 with 125k miles. the previous owner was a large gas and electric company and they did EVERY recommended maintenance to the T. i also bought it with out a PPI since the history was so good AND just like you, it was purchased from that same Lexus dealer. the 2nd day after i owned it (about 50 miles or so) it goes into limp mode and the dash lights up. Turns out that the timing chain tensioner broke. just my luck. i was livid and scared. I called 2 of my cousins ( both are master mechanics, 1 at Toyota and the other at Lexus dealership, not this one). they both told me the same thing, that large dealerships like this typically carry a 30 day warranty that they do not advertise. they also told me that the bad press they would garner from a disgruntled customer isn't worth the money, to just take it in so they can look at it. I made sure to talk to the manager first. in our convo (it went well), i made sure to mention that A) i am a long time Lexus customer who changes cars every 1-3 years B) i am very active online and i make sure to leave and write reviews and C) that i had no problem calling corporate if the need arises. thank fully they took care of me.
Dubbayoo (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 11:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

You will likely be pleased with the 430. Frankly, I'm surprised at the issue with the 460 as I have been on this forum for a while and don't recall reading many/any issues with transmission or engine. Nonetheless, I think you made the right call since you would be dealing with a rental car fee each week until you found the right car. I drove a 430 to 250k miles with absolutely no big issues. They're great cars, and while they lack some of the tech found in the 2010+ models, they ride very well (engine is smoother and quieter than my 2010 460) and won't leave you stranded. Plus, the timing belt has been changed which is the biggest expense you'll likely incur on that car. Hope it treats you well.

Edit: I was very glad to read that you bought the 460 from a dealer. Can you imagine if that was from a private party and you had no recourse?
Old 04-18-19, 11:33 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Hennessy is probably one of the biggest auto dealers in the Southeast. Feel free to Google how many dealerships they own just in the ATL area alone. I'm sure if it was something as trivial as fluids they would have said so. I might have been willing to pay for labor if they covered the parts.

You would be shocked to find out the so called "experts" rarely know as much as you think

Ive ran into all kinds in my life and continue too almost daily:

-idiotic clueless "certified mechanics"
-Tire shops that don't know how to change tires
-Body shops that cant paint
-car dealers/salesmen who know nothing about the cars they sell
-chefs who cant cook
-personal trainers who don't know how to get themselves into good shape

List goes on and on. People are also liars and will always try to pass the problem onto you , which is what they did with the LS430 , u should of just gotten a full refund.

With that said ive never heard of a 460 blowing a tranny, if it happens its super rare.
JLAWS (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 12:17 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Just dealt with a tire shop that said they can't swap an unprogrammed wheel sensor from a 19 inch spare I bought with a programmed one from an 18 inch wheel because I was not putting on a new tire! The rep said it was against company policy! Then he said they couldn't program sensors which I don't ask them to do! It took 4 times for it to sink in on exactly what I wanted to do. They redeemed themselves by doing it for free for me.

Last edited by JLAWS; 04-18-19 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 05:22 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I would get another opinion on the transmission. I'm not convinced that this is a failure, the mileage seems low for that to happen. What are the symptoms? What did they say was wrong with it? Who did the diagnostics?

Also, I own an LS430 with 185k miles. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Rides great. If you can find a low mileage one that is not beat up, I think you will be fine. Just know you will have expenses for timing belts, the struts can wear out and there are a couple of suspension bushings that can go on the lower control arms - I replaced mine at around 150k miles. Overall awesome reliable car. If you can get one without NAVI and upgrade the head unit might be a good idea. I have always hated the NAVI in that car.
Old 04-18-19, 06:00 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

It's done, guys. No need to keep questioning my choice, but feel free to discuss. The 430 was $10,596 plus $595 dealer fee...tires are near new, detailed it. Brakes are not the strongest stoppers I've had. The passenger side mirror doesn't move with the controls. Their cost to replace was almost $700. They said if I buy one on Ebay they will install and paint it for free. It does have NAV and unfortunately no XM radio so I need to do something about that. As I said the timing belt was done at 70K. I hated the floaty steering of the 460; it feels much heavier than the 430. I just wanted it to be done so I could focus on some home issues. I really am happy with the car.

The frustrating thing is I keep getting in the car with the dang key in my pocket and reaching for the START button that isn't there.

Quick Reply: My LS460 bubble has burst, need advice ASAP...and I have some to give.