LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on this 460L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 11:07 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Thoughts on this 460L?

My commuter car recently got totalled and I'm looking into several options for a replacement.

This LS460L caught my eye, but I'm a newb when it comes to newer LS models.

Trying to learn as much as I can on here before pulling the trigger.

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/ctd/...845524141.html

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...GL46F585028799

Anything in particular I should look out for?

Old 03-20-19, 01:34 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

So, it's an Ultra Luxury that was serviced religiously up to about 100K and then the record is more sketchy. There's no indication that some common (and expensive) trouble-prone issues have cropped up. The more recent owners have been of short duration. Personally, I would pass, but if you can buy for less than 10 grand AND have several grand socked away for possible pricey future repairs, it might work out ok for you.

If you're serious about it, have a Lexus store do an inspection - in addition to the obvious benefit, their report might be a useful bargaining tool with the seller.
Old 03-20-19, 04:28 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Originally Posted by TriC
So, it's an Ultra Luxury that was serviced religiously up to about 100K and then the record is more sketchy. There's no indication that some common (and expensive) trouble-prone issues have cropped up. The more recent owners have been of short duration. Personally, I would pass, but if you can buy for less than 10 grand AND have several grand socked away for possible pricey future repairs, it might work out ok for you.

If you're serious about it, have a Lexus store do an inspection - in addition to the obvious benefit, their report might be a useful bargaining tool with the seller.

Thanks for the info.

Does this model have the uberspensive air suspension?

If so, can it be replaced with standard coils like the previous LS models?

Have there been any major issues with the dual fuel system?

I've done countless carbon cleanings on German DI engines, but never on a Toyota DI.

Also, I see the valve springs were replaced.

Is this a common problem with these engines?

Old 03-20-19, 06:23 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

That car does have air suspension, and yes, it can be replaced with a standard setup.

The engine is DI and Port Injection, and I've never heard of anyone having to do a carbon cleaning on it. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ect-injection/

There was a recall for faulty valve springs on the early model years, so they would have been replaced.
Old 03-20-19, 06:47 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

This beautiful LS with the air suspension was well maintained. It's ten years old so you can expect some issues. LS's are durable and I don't think you would regret buying this luxury sedan.
Old 03-20-19, 07:19 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Good to know

I'm not dead set on an LS

In fact, I'm all over the map when it comes to choices lol

My previous beater was an 06 Scion XB with over 254,xxx miles

Dead nuts reliable, great on gas, huge interior space, just a perfect little commuter.

Then this happened:

Insurance was good to me and settled quickly for more than what I paid for it almost 100,000 miles ago and even let me keep it for only $50 bucks so I can strip it down before selling it to a junk yard.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new beater and my main concern is reliability, so it will have to be a Toyota/Lexus

My trusty Land Cruiser has over half a million miles and still drives like brand new

There's nothing else I'd rather drive, but I have a 90mile daily commute and she's a total gas hog

Trying to keep my budget under $12k or so and I've been looking at getting the most car for the money (if that term makes any sense)....

I would love to get a GX470 since they seem to be the best bang for the buck solid SUV, but it's also a bit of a gas guzzler and with the amount of miles I drive, I'll be doing timing belts every 2 years, so that's out.

Also looking at a Venza or a Sienna (I know, I'm all over the map), but after comparing prices, the LS caught my eye

Always been a fan of the 400 and 430, but never really looked into the 460 until now

Old 03-20-19, 09:22 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

A Lexus ES300/330/350 or a Toyota Avalon will probably be much cheaper to run long term.
Old 03-20-19, 05:52 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Never really cared much for the ES (too Camryish)
I could make due with an IS or a GS, but since they're all pretty much comparable in price for the used market, I'd prefer an LS.
Old 03-20-19, 06:28 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 98SNAKETR
My previous beater was an 06 Scion XB with over 254,xxx miles

Dead nuts reliable, great on gas, huge interior space, just a perfect little commuter.

Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnXiVffX50
What, you didn't have aerial footage of the accident?

I have to say that is the most documented accident I have ever seen. What kind/brand of camera setup did you have in that vehicle?

BTW, smart to buy the car back from the insurance company. I did that once when my beloved 1995 Infiniti Q45a was rear ended. I was able to cheaply repair it almost back to original and drive it for another 4 more years
Old 03-20-19, 06:41 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Aw, man, a Q45a. I lusted after those back in the mid-90s.

I like the car you're looking at, OP, it's the twin to my last one. I had only 123K on mine, but I can tell you, this one's had suspension parts replaced, I'd put money on it. I like how the Carfax reads.

Also, I'd wager the brake actuator either has been done, or was never a problem. You'll know it's in trouble because of how the brakes sound while standing still when you press on the pedal. They also feel really touchy.

The interior's really clean, hopefully the chromed OEM wheels aren't rashed too badly. I'd bet they'd take $10K, which IMO, is fair. The car's about 2/5 used up by this point.

Though, I truly believe a remarkable number will make it to a million miles. Triple-digits...at least.

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-20-19 at 06:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (03-23-19)
Old 03-20-19, 09:41 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I have to say that is the most documented accident I have ever seen. What kind/brand of camera setup did you have in that vehicle?
I have a pair of Mini 0906's and a B1W in that car

BTW, smart to buy the car back from the insurance company. I did that once when my beloved 1995 Infiniti Q45a was rear ended. I was able to cheaply repair it almost back to original and drive it for another 4 more years

If it happened in Florida, I would've thrown some parts at it and keep it as a shop beater, but it happened in NY and my time/space is limited up here, so I'm just gunna pull the accessories and sell it to a scrap yard
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (03-23-19)
Old 03-21-19, 08:04 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would at least go look at it and if in good condition try to buy at YOUR price. Just make sure to get an experience shop to inspect it first!!!
Old 03-23-19, 11:31 AM
DaveGIowa
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1999 LX470, when I see a half million miles I can only think about the $$ for gas to reach that level. Even at an average of $2 per gallon it's $90k in gas! I'm inspired! I'm 370,000 miles away!
Old 03-23-19, 05:24 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you are on the right track w an LS. I wouldn't settle.....get what you want. Keep looking at other LS's as well an the right one will come your way.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 460L?