LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Bleed Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 06:31 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Brake Bleed Question?

So I have a really dumb question for those who have bled their own brakes on their LS460. So was reading the workshop manuals to determine any gotchas, and OMG did I find them... https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/l...rake_actuator/

I'm used to the one person method of turkey baster the reservoir, filling the reservoir with new fluid, tube on RR brake nipple into bottle with some fluid, then steady pump of brakes until fluid runs clear. If all I'm doing is running new fluid through the brake lines, then is the overly complicated procedure mentioned in the workshop manuals really necessary? I'm not trying to clear air, replace an actuator, master cylinder, etc... I just want to get new fluid in.

Please advise my risk
Old 03-13-19, 06:32 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

I just ordered my Techstream cable, but even then this seems like a PTIA!
Old 03-13-19, 06:54 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, I took mine to a shop too many ways to ruin the system. If you have a good working version of Techstream than you might be fine.
Old 03-13-19, 07:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As much of a staunch DIY'er that I am, even I gave this job to my local Toyota dealer. They even had to do it twice because of a brake code that was triggered. It's a very exact job and requires Techstream. What would normally be a one hour job, ended in being two hours. They charged me 79.99, so for that price it's a no-brainer.
Old 03-13-19, 09:38 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Yeah I hear you, but it’s 2 hrs to my nearest dealer and they charge a lot more than $80.
Old 03-13-19, 10:50 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
So I have a really dumb question for those who have bled their own brakes on their LS460. So was reading the workshop manuals to determine any gotchas, and OMG did I find them... https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/l...rake_actuator/

I'm used to the one person method of turkey baster the reservoir, filling the reservoir with new fluid, tube on RR brake nipple into bottle with some fluid, then steady pump of brakes until fluid runs clear. If all I'm doing is running new fluid through the brake lines, then is the overly complicated procedure mentioned in the workshop manuals really necessary? I'm not trying to clear air, replace an actuator, master cylinder, etc... I just want to get new fluid in.

Please advise my risk

use this info. files and follow the steps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BRAKE OIL PRECAUTION.pdf (208.1 KB, 249 views)
BRAKE OIL REPLACMENT.pdf (250.7 KB, 248 views)
The following users liked this post:
Tlutrick (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 01:00 AM
Kee318
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We change the rotors and pads on my 2013 ls460 f sport with slotted and drilled rotors. My friend accidentally took the wrong bolt out and fluids was everywhere. The brake light, traction control and ABS light came on. Took it to the dealer and they charged me 325. Took them 4 hrs to do it. They gave me a loaner car to drive home. Went to pick up the car the next day. These cars are so complicated if you messed up. It's not like the older cars.

Last edited by Kee318; 03-14-19 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 06:22 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I was aware of the techstream procedure but to be honest I ended up using the motive power bleeder and everything went perfectly fine:
You just need to make sure to use the adapter in the video (expensive but worth it), take the time to make sure your seals don't leak and above all don't introduce air bubble in the system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vansibel:
NotFasty (03-14-19), texas008 (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 12:51 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

So I went out to... https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/
Printed my own from the screen shots to make the following pdf's (apologies on the image quality for Brake Bleed Techstream compressed file, but the forum prohibits greater than 5Mb files, so I had to compress the image quality), which are descriptive of the Techstream screens. You can go out and see the procedure in better quality at... https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/l...rake_actuator/

I've gotten by for awhile with my Innova 3100j scan tool, but this forced me to pull the trigger on Techstream, Cable, and a $199 Windows 10 64 bit laptop off of Amazon.

The ambiguity of NOT performing the accumulator zero down function in this Techstream process worries me just enough to make me feel uncomfortable using a typical 1-man method or Pressurized system.
Attached Files
Bleed 1_compressed.pdf (1.34 MB, 204 views)
Old 03-14-19, 02:28 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah I hear you, but it’s 2 hrs to my nearest dealer and they charge a lot more than $80.
You don't have any repair shops close?? You have a toyota shop closer? Most normal repair shops should be able to handle it ask around. Cost wise i think is anywhere around 80-150.
Old 03-14-19, 05:29 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

So I went out to... https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/
Printed my own from the screen shots to make the following pdf's (apologies on the image quality for Brake Bleed Techstream compressed file, but the forum prohibits greater than 5Mb files, so I had to compress the image quality), which are descriptive of the Techstream screens. You can go out and see the procedure in better quality at... https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/l...rake_actuator/

I've gotten by for awhile with my Innova 3100j scan tool, but this forced me to pull the trigger on Techstream, Cable, and a $199 Windows 10 64 bit laptop off of Amazon.

The ambiguity of NOT performing the accumulator zero down function in this Techstream process worries me just enough to make me feel uncomfortable using a typical 1-man method or Pressurized system.
--
Unless you are replacing your brake actuator, you should select "Usual Air Bleeding" instead of "Actuator has been removed" on Techstream to conduct the rear brake bleeding (Page 13 of your file "Brake Bleed TechStream"). The verbal description of the bleeding process with TechStream sounds complex but the actual process is straightforward. The instruction of selecting "Actuator has been removed" option in your file (Page 13) was meant as an attempt to repair the first generation of brake actuators on 2007-09 LS460 before the dealer calls for the replacement of the actuator under warranty (i.e., an extra step required by Lexus to validate a request for replacement of the brake actuator under warranty).
Tlutrick (03-15-19)
Old 03-14-19, 06:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
I was aware of the techstream procedure but to be honest I ended up using the motive power bleeder and everything went perfectly fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAK_nuBkxz0
You just need to make sure to use the adapter in the video (expensive but worth it), take the time to make sure your seals don't leak and above all don't introduce air bubble in the system.
I did the same thing, I didn't have any issues either. And another time (while changing pads),I disconnected the battery and opened the bleeders while I pushed in the caliper Pistons.
derpie (04-07-19)
Old 03-15-19, 09:39 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
--
Unless you are replacing your brake actuator, you should select "Usual Air Bleeding" instead of "Actuator has been removed" on Techstream to conduct the rear brake bleeding (Page 13 of your file "Brake Bleed TechStream"). The verbal description of the bleeding process with TechStream sounds complex but the actual process is straightforward. The instruction of selecting "Actuator has been removed" option in your file (Page 13) was meant as an attempt to repair the first generation of brake actuators on 2007-09 LS460 before the dealer calls for the replacement of the actuator under warranty (i.e., an extra step required by Lexus to validate a request for replacement of the brake actuator under warranty).
That is helpful, so thanks for clearing that up Zeroing the Accumulator. I have already ordered a new $199 Windows 10 Laptop and Techstream cable, as I keep running into need for TechStream, but my cable won't arrive until Tuesday, 3/19. How critical is the step regarding the directions to Disable Brake Control (Step 1a on Bleed 1.pdf)? If critical, then I will attempt to do with my Innova 3100j scan tool. If it can't handle that operation, then I guess I will wait until next week to set up and verify Techstream is working.
Old 03-15-19, 11:21 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

That is helpful, so thanks for clearing that up Zeroing the Accumulator. I have already ordered a new $199 Windows 10 Laptop and Techstream cable, as I keep running into need for TechStream, but my cable won't arrive until Tuesday, 3/19. How critical is the step regarding the directions to Disable Brake Control (Step 1a on Bleed 1.pdf)? If critical, then I will attempt to do with my Innova 3100j scan tool. If it can't handle that operation, then I guess I will wait until next week to set up and verify Techstream is working.
---
1) If your new $199 Windows 10 is 64-bit (the default with new Windows 10 laptop and desktop computers today), the success of your installation of TechStream depends on the TechStream software package you purchased and USB cable type, that is, you'll need the 64-bit driver for the 64-bit Windows OS to communicate with the ODB cable/connector properly. Hope that your Techstream seller included the 64-bit driver in the software package.
2) "Disable Brake Control" step (I took it to mean the "Zero Down Accumulator Pressure" and "ECB Invalid" procedures in TechStream terms) is necessary for properly bleeding the front brakes. The "Zero Down" procedure releases the pressure in the accumulator and the "ECB Invalid" procedure allows you to do the front brake bleeding manually (the traditional two-person bleeding process). Don't skip these two procedures. Follow the instructions and steps in your document "Break Bleed TechStream_compressed small.PDF" file to complete the front brake bleeding.
3) TechStream is the right tool to use for LS460 brake bleeding. Since you will have TechStream, no need to use Innova 3100. My recommendation is that use the right tool (TechSream) that Lexus/Toyota technicians use to do brake bleeding - do it right and do it once.
4) Just a word of encouragement. Bleeding with TechStream is not difficult or complex. Just follow the instruction in your "Break Bleed TechStream_compressed small.PDF" file and follow the instruction on TechStream screen, you'll get it done. Be patient with TechStream and with the bleeding process. Make sure that your car's battery is fully charged before you begin to bleed the brakes. I learned my lesson the hard way. My car's battery was drained during the bleeding process as TechStream used quite a bit of battery. That created a small crisis but was easily resolved once I replaced the battery and used TechStream to reset the brakes.
Old 03-15-19, 11:28 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

For replacing the brake fluid . The "Usual air bleeding" is the step . But you must keep the level above low . Don't go below low as that would result in air in the system . I have did it to my LS 460 and 2 other LS 460 . And make sure the car is level .

Quick Reply: Brake Bleed Question?