LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

need some opinions on a Ls460 i may buy tomorrow....

Old 01-15-19, 02:58 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That was a charge thrown at them by Mercedes, it was never true.

Its all relative. LS400s had their issues too. Starters were a HUGE job, a bigger PITA than the 460. We dealt with an intermittent starter issue for a year prior to trading our LS400 in because it was such an expensive job ($2,000 at Lexus, and that was in 2003). They needed the timing belt replacement every 90k miles, that coming up was a big reason why we traded the 400 in on the 430, it needed that starter, and it needed a second timing belt within a year or so, so we were looking at $3,500 in work and while the car was high mileage it was only 5-6 years old. Air suspension also failed on the 400 although later models it was a really rare option (ours had it). Early 400s had a lot of issues with alternators and power steering also.

The timing belt on the 400 and 430 is a big reason why I don't consider the control arms on the LS460 that big a deal.

as an LS400 driver, the one part of your car that you never want to see, or hold in your hand is the starter. yeah, HUGE and very nasty job on them. the main known faults on the 400s are the starter, (nightmare) power steering pump (they always leak, every damn one of them), alternator (due to the power steering pump being directly over the alternator), the T-belt (not really a problem, just a wear and tear thing that absolutely has to be replaced around 100k with absolutely zero way to do cheap or just run a way from), and the ECU (HUGE problem for the early 2 gen models) but a very easy fix. the 400s were much more simple then the 460s and they were absolutely rock solid, but time is the enemy of all people places and things and no matter how well kept a car is, after a certain number of years it will not be reliable enough to drive and depend on to be a life line car, and that time is quickly approaching with the 400s, which is why im starting to look more and more at the 460s as they are almost depreciated down to where i can afford one

now as the 400s are going from old to borderline vintage, another new very big and very nasty problem has started showing up that it seems like every single one of them ends up with, transmission failure. no matter how well kept, or what the miles are, they are failing which is another horrible expensive repair that even i wont ever deal with again unless i absolutely have to. i haven't seen too many Ls430 or Ls460 transmissions go out yet, so i really think its just an age thing.

Lexus cars in general are over-engineered and rock soild , except the air suspension systems. that really is the one thing that is absolutely terrible and is guaranteed to fail regardless of the model so i try to stay away from air cars myself. air suspension is much more common on early 1st gens then on 2 gens. yeah, very very rare to see on the later 400s. ive only had one air Ls400, my original 1990 had it and broke several times. i see more 460s WITH air suspension then without though, and havent seen too many blown ones as of yet, so maybe they are better then the ones on the 400s and 430s. only time will tell i guess.
Old 01-15-19, 03:16 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think you will find that the LS460s are not as easy to keep running when they're really old as your LS400s are. The LS400 is actually a very simple car, and that has a lot to do with its longevity, the 460 is a lot more complex...
this is a major concern of mine. how easy or hard will it be to keep up with a 20 year old LS, 10-20 years in the future.. im planning on driving an LS of some kind for the rest of my life, and they only get more computerized and complex as time goes on. the capacitors fail in the 400s ECU causing all kinds of gremlins put the problem is centrally located and easy to fix. once the ONE ecu is replaced, those problems go away. however, theres over a dozen ECUs in the 460s and i dont even want to think about the horror of what will happen when those caps in the ECUs and throughout the rest of the cars get old enough to start failing. well, it will be something ill obviously have to face one day reguardless, but id rather face that 15 years from now when they actually start to fail due to age, and just pretend like the caps dont even exist till then which is what ill do. i know when other stuff starts to fail like the parking sensors, blind spot monitors and infotainment system screens start to fail it will be miserable to deal with as well. im already seeing some of that stuff happening in the earlier models.

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The LS400 was built to a standard, not to a price. Indeed, rumour has it that Lexus lost $10,000 on every LS400 they sold in the US.
But that was then and this is now. Don't expect the 460 to be as reliable as the 400 and when it breaks, so does the bank!!!

this is something else that concerns me. the LS400 was built to make a solid first-impression for a new brand that nobody ever heard of. the Ls460 was developed with a very different M.O. yes they feel well made, but not quite as solid as the 400s. but as long as whats under all the glitz glamour and gizmos is solid (engine/tranny), thats all that really matters.
Old 01-15-19, 03:26 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I put over 200,000 miles on my 1997 LS400, in comparison i feel my 2007 LS460 is substantially more solid feeling with more weight, power, and quieter build quality
Old 01-15-19, 03:35 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

this is starting to turn into an "LS460 Future predictions" thread lol... for all we know we could all be wrong! 100 years from now after WW3, total collapse of society and everything has been obliterated nukes, asteroids, flipping poles and climate changes, the antique ancient LS460s may be the only cars still left running and reliable enough for a post-apocalyptic Mad Max & friends to use in their caravan of doom!

with that said, i havent really talked about the actual car this thread was originally created for. well, i went and checked it out the other night. here were my findings...
Old 01-15-19, 04:00 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

during the day on friday, i bounced messages back and forth with my buddy with the car. sent me some pics here and there and honestly it looked pretty solid aside from some faded paint and obvious body work. hell even if i didnt do the trade deal with the mustang i could walk away with an actual running driving LS460 that even had the toys and not a base model for a measly 5 grand! seemed like a pretty sweet deal as these cars are simply not that kind of cheap yet, and i was quite curious and what exactly kind of Ls460 5 grand will buy these days. he said if i could overlook the cosmetic flaws -he was upfront and made it VERY clear the car was kinda ugly but it was a solid runner.

i get off work at 7pm and went right out to his place to see this thing. they say never test drive a car at night but honestly i wanted to, especially to make sure everything lit up inside, as the LS460 looks like being behind the controls of a space ship at night, which is pretty cool looking.

i get home, change, and drive to his place around 8pm to see it. it didnt look too bad parked along the curb under a lamp post at night from a block away, but as i got closer i saw what a mess it really was. either way it was still pretty wild to see such a cheap, totally clapped out Ls460 in the flesh, basically a preview of what alot of them will look like by the second half of the 2020s sadly. and yeah. it was absolutely CLAPPED. even the key fob was rough looking. the paint looked like it had been in a fire, the dash was sticky and melting pretty bad as was the rest of the interior, the seats were cracking and torn, the steering wheel was sun bleached as was alot of the wood trim inside. all the buttons and switches were very wore out. but yeah, everything still damn worked on it! she was standing at just over 190k miles, but must have been a very very hard 190k miles. i opened the door, plopped down in the ragged but still comfy drivers seat, and pushed the stop-start button. starter sounded noisier then normal but it fired right the hell up. the mufflers had rusted through so it was kinda loud (rust belt car that transplanted recently). everything felt loose and slap wore out, but it went right into drive and clicked through all 8 gears without any hiccups at all. engine sounded good too! i got it out of the neighborhood and onto a curvy backroad and nailed it. no hesitation and pulled like hell, as any LS460 does, and the car was on Coil overs so it had a nice firm sporty ride to it. i honestly kinda liked it! it had character, but didnt feel or drive anything like a 460 should. it felt more wore out then the roughest 400s ive dragged home, but it still did its job. the heated seats, the heat/ac, heated wheel, all still worked, so did the ML stereo and navi, hell even the power sunshade still worked. yes everything made a noise but it all still worked. really the only complaint i had about it is that it was just beat **** ugly and burned a little oil probably from a valve cover gasket. it was still a good car, but god only knows for how much longer. kinda really wanted to take it home with me but quickly gave my buddy the key back and left, as i could tell i was starting to fall in love with it. i had to save myself from making what would probably be a huge mistake in the near future.

either way, it would be a great project car for someone looking to get into a 460 cheap. it had good bones, i just dont have time for any more project cars right now..
Old 01-16-19, 05:37 PM
Vahd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased an ‘07 460 with 51000 miles, just 8 weeks ago, one owner, all service accounted for at the dealership I
dealt with. Paid 18K with their recommended transferable warranty.

The car is in perfect condition and I can handle anything I can think of that might fall outside the warranty. We’ll see.

These comments are made only to possibly help a hesitating buyer,

Happy to hear comments on my purchase.
Old 01-17-19, 09:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Vahd
I have purchased an ‘07 460 with 51000 miles, just 8 weeks ago, one owner, all service accounted for at the dealership I
dealt with. Paid 18K with their recommended transferable warranty.

The car is in perfect condition and I can handle anything I can think of that might fall outside the warranty. We’ll see.

These comments are made only to possibly help a hesitating buyer,

Happy to hear comments on my purchase.
Welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on your 460. You may or may not be aware that 2007 to 2009 are very prone to certain issues - some of which are covered by Lexus regardless of if the car is under warranty or not. One of the more recent items is the "sticky" interior - you should look closely at your hard plastic surfaces in your car (glove box, dash, arm rest/door panels, etc) and see if you notice discoloring, a strange feel to the material, and/or chipping away of the material. You can take your car to a Lexus dealer and reference the "ZLZ program" and they will inspect it for you and take pics. Other issues to be careful of are brake actuator and control arms. Lots of individual threads on all of these items are found in this forum.