LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My time on the LS460 board was short...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 08:28 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

If you have a lot of money the Mercedes could be a good choice. Most of the older ones I researched did not have the dual injection high compression Chevy firing order engine with a 8 speed.

lexus got similar power from a smaller more advanced engine giving fantastic road mpg.

drove several other luxury cars and the lack of low rpm torque was a turn off.

drove a bmw twin turbo and the torque was great. Car shortshifted and pulled hard.

as does the ls460.

Would not buy any car without that feel.

I like driving it so much I am rebuilding everything wrong or needing updating in the car.

plus the overall reliability and build quality.

ls and our sc and we are good.

Old 11-18-18, 11:35 AM
Gillz460L
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn =(. Glad your ok mckellyb!! Time to look for another LS. I know everyone will say no to s55 or s63 but s55 drivetrain is actually very solid!! S63 is good depending on what gen.. first gen had some issues. We have a s600 in the family and its an amazing ride. So apart from being a lexus lover ...have been a mbz enthusiast for a long while. Anyways take care of yourself! Keep us updated
The following 2 users liked this post by Gillz460L:
mckellyb (11-18-18), sha4000 (11-18-18)
Old 11-18-18, 11:41 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The reason Mercedes cost a fortune to keep up is because people will not do things, themselves. I've had two, they're no big deal.

The 2009 S63 is naturally aspirated but 518 HP, so a 138 HP bump over the LS, but with 'only' an extra 100-400 lbs. (depending on the reference) to carry around. Otherwise, they both put out 82 (IIRC) HP/litre, almost exactly.

The Mercedes has a 7-speed trans, which is still overkill when you're talking more just under 500 torques.

The drag coefficient is 0.27, length is almost the same, they're really quite comparable, save for the LS gets to 60 MPH in 5.8 seconds (best time I ever saw, personally, and that was with a LWB model), while the monster Benz gets there in 4.5 seconds.

That's a substantial amount of scoot, especially for a machine this large.
Old 11-18-18, 11:50 AM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Man, Kelly, I am so sorry to hear about this. I am very glad you ar okay tho.

Legally, will insurance go after the bad guys’?

it really sucks you spent all that time trying to get your car repaired and then this to happen.

I hope you you can find a new LS that meets your needs. It really is a good car. I have never owned Mercedes or BMW but then I don’t have the mechanical know how to work on cars except to change oil.

Really glad you are okay

Take care
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (11-18-18)
Old 11-18-18, 12:32 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Glad you are okay. Take the insurance money and find another "gem" of an LS460..... They are out there.... more pop up this time of year when early buyers have the lease come up.... Hope you find a nice one.
mckellyb (11-18-18)
Old 11-18-18, 04:07 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You’re still alive and not seriously hurt. That’s all it matters.

Good luck with new replacement car
mckellyb (11-22-18)
Old 11-18-18, 04:49 PM
rfam
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Main thing is that you're OK. You've contributed a lot to this forum and I thank you for that. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
mckellyb (11-22-18)
Old 11-19-18, 07:01 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

wow what a bummer! i know what its like to have a car that you are trying to fix up and that dumped a bunch of money into just to have some ****head destroy it.

had a situation a few weeks back with my own LS myself. it was off the road almost two years. 1995 Ls400. i dropped $3200 with of new parts in it after saving for months to get it back on the road, finally (im not well off like some of you guys) didnt even have the car on the road 48 hours when some ****head with his nose in his phone ran a stop sign and plowed into me. only had pip insurance on it cause thats all i can afford. talk about heartbreak. it would have been totaled but i had just gone through so much to get it back on the road theres no way in hell i was about to take it in the *** and get a check for a grand and walk away. just fixing her and moving on with the restoration.

nothings worse than when you have a really nice car, especially one you worked your *** off to get, and a rare optioned one, only to have some ****head that cant drive, take it away from you. best of luck with your hunt.

hope to see you in another 460L, but the S63 is one hell of a car too! older ones have really come down in price and hell, if you can afford the parts and can do the work yourself, id go for it! i saw a 2004 S55 show up locally not too long ago for a couple grand and was VERY tempted myself, but didnt because its alot more complex than an old Ls400 that i can barley work on myself, and parts are super expensive. i cant drive a work of art like that into the ground.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stereorob:
mckellyb (11-22-18), sha4000 (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 07:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. As everyone else has said, the car can & will be replaced - the fact you are OK is of utmost importance. You should visit a doctor, get imaging of your head and other areas of your body, etc. and consider filing a personal injury claim using a reputable lawyer. Sometimes the injury doesn't fully set in until weeks or months after the accident so it's a good idea to go through the motions now and get everything documented in the event your condition gets worse.

Good luck in your search for your next car.
mckellyb (11-22-18)
Old 11-19-18, 09:19 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mckellyb
The reason Mercedes cost a fortune to keep up is because people will not do things, themselves. I've had two, they're no big deal.

The 2009 S63 is naturally aspirated but 518 HP, so a 138 HP bump over the LS, but with 'only' an extra 100-400 lbs. (depending on the reference) to carry around. Otherwise, they both put out 82 (IIRC) HP/litre, almost exactly.

The Mercedes has a 7-speed trans, which is still overkill when you're talking more just under 500 torques.

The drag coefficient is 0.27, length is almost the same, they're really quite comparable, save for the LS gets to 60 MPH in 5.8 seconds (best time I ever saw, personally, and that was with a LWB model), while the monster Benz gets there in 4.5 seconds.

Are you sure you are ok? You are considering an 8 to 10 year old S Class Benz? You are going to get so many check system pop up that will either disappear or stay on. The only pop ups I've gotten in the LS460 were maintenance reminders set by the previous owner and that was a little scary for a sec
I don't like having a vehicle where there is anxiety of a warning light popping up every time I start it.

You would be better off with an LS600hl. The biggest repair cost is the battery but you Lexus may assist with the cost. I don't believe there is "Financial aid" at a Mercedes dealership.
mckellyb (11-22-18)
Old 11-21-18, 05:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Are you sure you are ok? You are considering an 8 to 10 year old S Class Benz? You are going to get so many check system pop up that will either disappear or stay on. The only pop ups I've gotten in the LS460 were maintenance reminders set by the previous owner and that was a little scary for a sec
I don't like having a vehicle where there is anxiety of a warning light popping up every time I start it.

You would be better off with an LS600hl. The biggest repair cost is the battery but you Lexus may assist with the cost. I don't believe there is "Financial aid" at a Mercedes dealership.
I have to wholeheartedly agree. I didn't want to be the one that said it, but any BMW or MB of those vintages are a nightmare. I went to the MB boards to see about these cars being considered (in case anything has changed), but there's still nothing but rife and misery there. Everything from electrical problems to mechanicals. Just like my BMW 7 was. My only consideration, is if I was leasing. Its no wonder no company or dealer wants to sell a warranty for them.That said, they are glorious looking cars. If they could just be reasonably reliable....
The following 3 users liked this post by roadfrog:
mckellyb (11-22-18), ReLexing (11-28-18), sha4000 (11-21-18)
Old 11-22-18, 12:03 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I know two people with AMGs, both E-classes, from the 2006-2008 model years, and the engine/drivetrains are quite robust.

This said, we looked at an '09 S63, Tuesday, and man, was that thing beat to crap. Under (just) 100K miles, but it looked like it had twice that on it.

Drove...um...interestingly. Little self-centering on the steering, and the engine always sounded stressed...like the RPM were too high for what the tach read.

That, and my god, talk about some ham-fisted traction control. Jeebus! I thought it was severe axle hop, like in the old, live-axle days.

I need to find a CL65 AMG. Two door, hardtop, V12 goodness...yeah, I know about the coil packs...you've gotta pay to play.

A 2007-2009 Jaaaaag XJ Super V8 (preferably a Portfolio) is also a possibility, if I can find one.

I'm not writing off another 460 L, they're just a challenge to find in good nick, with low miles, and the touring suspension (on air).
Old 11-23-18, 06:13 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had 4, 6, 8, and 10 cylinders but 12? That's the one on my bucket list.

The S63 and CL65 are high maintenance German super models. It's a different lifestyle than low maintenance Japanese models. Haha
Old 11-23-18, 07:10 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

This guy's got some great videos about buying and maintaining older Mercs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-...P8j4nEKW3DXpOA
Old 11-25-18, 04:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb

Glad your ok man, I had a horrible health issue this year that was just devastating (to put it lightly) and it made it abundantly clear to me that health really is the most important thing of all.

So you are ok, consider it a fun time now to find your new car and see where it leads you

I quoted your post because I see these types of post once in a while and it makes me wonder if I should take a risk and get into an s63 or s65 but then I read the Mercedes forums and I get scared again lol

I wont experiment with benz until im ready to buy one with a warrantee, and even then you will take massive losses on depreciation so you really cant win either way it seems

Quick Reply: My time on the LS460 board was short...