LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I need your help-looking to buy in the next day or so

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 05:47 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need your help-looking to buy in the next day or so

Hello CL members. Looking for opinions and advice from your collective wisdom.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a used LS460
The 3 candidates are
1. 2013 Lexus LS 460 RWD - $32,495 grey 141 days on market 41,439 miles
2. 2014 Lexus LS 460 RWD - $32,200 silver 98 days on market 51,417 miles
3. 2014 Lexus LS 460 RWD F Sport- $37,898 27 days on market 34,229 miles LEXUS CERTIFIED

The first 2 cars have the same option list :
BM Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
CK All Weather Pkg: Windshield-wiper deicer/headlamp washer/Enhanced int. heater/High capacity battery
CP Comfort Package: Climate-comfort front seats, Power rear sunshade, One touch power trunk open/close
IR Shimamoku Espresso Ebony Wood
LU Semi-Aniline Leather Trim Interior and Alcantara Headliner Upgrade
ML Mark Levinson 19-spkr w/Single DVD/CD player
WT Heated Wood Steering Wheel w/Leather Center Pad
Z2 Cargo Net, Trunk Mat, Whl Locks & Rear Bumper App

Car 3 is the f sport , similar options but with f sport
BD Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
CQ F SPORT Comfort Package: Climate-comfort front seats, Power rear sunshade, One touch power trunk open/close
FK F SPORT Package: 19" split-10-spoke forged-alloy wheels with summer tires, F SPORT-tuned, lowered Adaptive Variable Air Suspension, stabilizer bars and shock absorbers, Brembo opposed six-piston front brake calipers with 14.8-in ventilated discs limited slip rear differential, Black leather trimmed interior with white perforations, F SPORT bolstered front seats with embossed headrests, Black Alcantara headliner, Aluminum pedals and interior trim, F SPORT steering wheel with paddle shifters, F SPORT exterior styling: front bumper, upper & lower grille inserts, LED foglamps
WU F Sport Steering Wheel

Car 1 has been on the market for quite a while 141 days and being sold at a Jeep dealership, so more flex on price maybe? Maybe take it to a Lexus dealership for an inspection-there’s one about a mile and a half away.

Car 2 has been on the market for quite a while 98 days and being by a private party through a selling service called shift, so more flex on price maybe? It does have a scratch and ding that pieces the paint-reminds me of a bb shot damage.

Car 3 is Lexus certified and the f sport, but quite a bit more in cost. From what I gather despite the sportier suspension and 19 inch wheels, the f sport has air susupension so is actually a bit smoother ride than a regular L?

Which car would you go for and for what price?

Thanks all

Old 11-01-18, 05:52 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Definitely F Sport! For $5k more, you get a lower mile and certified! I settled for a base now I'm regretting for not buying a F Sport.
Old 11-01-18, 06:05 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

#3 seems like a good deal, and with the air suspension you may want to look into an extended warranty when the CPO coverage runs out.

You might also want to ask the dealer about the brakes. Many owners complained about the Brembos being noisy and dusty, and some Lexus dealers used different replacement pads that took care of the problem.
Old 11-01-18, 08:04 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

#1 shows a wholesale based on miles/region color of $29,400
#2 shows a wholesale based on miles/region color of $29,800
#3 shows a wholesale based on miles/region (no color given) of $30,900. Being L/Cert adds value and interesting enough the F-Sport package doesn't figure into auction pricing on a 2014, but does on a 2015. .

Hope this helps. If it were me, I'd try and make the best deal I could on all three and then go with what works best and/or the color combo you like most. The ones that have the most lot time are certainly candidates to be moved at lower margins, but keep in mind they were bought/traded when the market value was higher so that can factor in. I wouldn't want to be more than $1500 over wholesale on any of them. YMMV and good luck!

Last edited by DedBirdDog; 11-01-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:27 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I would select whichever car had the least amount visible wear and tear inside and out. Have you inspected each car yet in person?
Old 11-02-18, 05:30 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Car #3. I am a big fan of Lexus CPO cars "IF" you are dealing with a reputable Lexus dealer........ The F Sport is "the way to go" if you don’t live a snow region.

BTW! I live in NJ and I am considering buying an LS F Sport.
Old 11-03-18, 10:42 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
Hello CL members. Looking for opinions and advice from your collective wisdom.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a used LS460
The 3 candidates are
1. 2013 Lexus LS 460 RWD - $32,495 grey 141 days on market 41,439 miles
2. 2014 Lexus LS 460 RWD - $32,200 silver 98 days on market 51,417 miles
3. 2014 Lexus LS 460 RWD F Sport- $37,898 27 days on market 34,229 miles LEXUS CERTIFIED

The first 2 cars have the same option list :
BM Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
CK All Weather Pkg: Windshield-wiper deicer/headlamp washer/Enhanced int. heater/High capacity battery
CP Comfort Package: Climate-comfort front seats, Power rear sunshade, One touch power trunk open/close
IR Shimamoku Espresso Ebony Wood
LU Semi-Aniline Leather Trim Interior and Alcantara Headliner Upgrade
WT Heated Wood Steering Wheel w/Leather Center Pad

Car 3 is the f sport , similar options but with f sport
BD Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
CQ F SPORT Comfort Package: Climate-comfort front seats, Power rear sunshade, One touch power trunk open/close
FK F SPORT Package: 19" split-10-spoke forged-alloy wheels with summer tires, F SPORT-tuned, lowered Adaptive Variable Air Suspension, stabilizer bars and shock absorbers, Brembo opposed six-piston front brake calipers with 14.8-in ventilated discs limited slip rear differential, Black leather trimmed interior with white perforations, F SPORT bolstered front seats with embossed headrests, Black Alcantara headliner, Aluminum pedals and interior trim, F SPORT steering wheel with paddle shifters, F SPORT exterior styling: front bumper, upper & lower grille inserts, LED foglamps
WU F Sport Steering Wheel

Car 1 has been on the market for quite a while 141 days and being sold at a Jeep dealership, so more flex on price maybe? Maybe take it to a Lexus dealership for an inspection-there’s one about a mile and a half away.

Car 2 has been on the market for quite a while 98 days and being by a private party through a selling service called shift, so more flex on price maybe? It does have a scratch and ding that pieces the paint-reminds me of a bb shot damage.

Car 3 is Lexus certified and the f sport, but quite a bit more in cost. From what I gather despite the sportier suspension and 19 inch wheels, the f sport has air susupension so is actually a bit smoother ride than a regular L?

Which car would you go for and for what price?

Thanks all
Definitely not true. Test drive the F Sport and decide for yourself. MotorTrend pointed out the F-Sport on softest setting is equivalent to a regular LS 460 air suspension car set to stiffest setting and I fully agree; sportier settings on the F Sport provide an even stiffer ride. The F Sport is also half-an-inch lower and contributes to the stiffer ride. It depends what you expect in ride quality and the F Sport definitely was not for me and didn't reflect the typical Lexus-smooth ride. Just test drive it first before you decide. As for CPO, on a 2014 it only leaves you with two more years of coverage and I feel the car will be reliable during that period and the CPO is a waste. Only you can decide your level of comfort with a potential air suspension expense during the coverage period. At least you would qualify to extend the warranty for additional cost if you wanted (has to be done before 50K miles, I think).

Originally Posted by RussLS460
I would select whichever car had the least amount visible wear and tear inside and out. Have you inspected each car yet in person?
Second this.
Old 11-04-18, 10:51 AM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Okay I wound up with none of them. The F sport turned out not to be cpo as the saleperson first told me.
I did buy a 2014 with pretty much the options I listed for the non f sport with the addition of the 19inch wheels , silver with gray interior for $31,750 and 56K miles. I will be driving it from California to Atlanta starting tuesday.
Old 11-04-18, 01:30 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Okay I wound up with none of them. The F sport turned out not to be cpo as the saleperson first told me.
I did buy a 2014 with pretty much the options I listed for the non f sport with the addition of the 19inch wheels , silver with gray interior for $31,750 and 56K miles. I will be driving it from California to Atlanta starting tuesday.
Congrats on your new ride! Did you test drive the F Sport? Just curious what you thought of its ride quality. Seems like you got a great price for a California LS. What city did you buy it in? Safe travels on your way home.
Old 11-04-18, 02:29 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Congrats on the new car. Have a fun and safe ride. I think you will have a thoroughly enjoyable trip!
Old 11-04-18, 03:31 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congratulations

please let let us know how your drive was.

Old 11-04-18, 09:33 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Congrats on your new ride! Did you test drive the F Sport? Just curious what you thought of its ride quality. Seems like you got a great price for a California LS. What city did you buy it in? Safe travels on your way home.
It wasn't a California car, it was a lease return from Tucson Az which is pretty good state imho for a used car. Was serviced at Lexus there and an independent picked it up and brought it to Concord, Ca, so one owner/user car. They put the ad up in the evening and I bought it the next morning.
I did drive the f sport and it was a little louder exhaust but sounded a little tinny. The f sport seem to ride ok, but since it wasn't a cpo I didn't want to spend the extra on it. I might have gotten them to 35,500 if I fought for it, but for me I liked the silver color and the f sport was gray-still nice but I really wanted silver if it was available. I do like the gray interior I got as well as the Shimamoku wood that wasn't on the f sport.
Also the 19 inch wheels are nice too.
The other thing was all the california cars had front license plate mounts while the Az one did not. Since my state doesn't require front plates I liked the unmolested bumper-looks much cleaner.
I've got a 2400 mile trip-should be a good aquaintance.
Old 11-07-18, 06:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I've got a 2400 mile trip-should be a good aquaintance.
That'll be 2,400 miles of bliss. Enjoy.
Old 11-10-18, 01:15 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

I must have been crazy. 2500 miles leaving Tuesday morning and getting home Thursday night. It's washed and in the garage
Old 11-10-18, 01:21 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

A friend bought a Tesla Model S in California and drove it back home to Chicago. Sounds like a fun trip .

Quick Reply: I need your help-looking to buy in the next day or so