Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Reliability LS 460 Vs. LS600h L

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 09:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by hitsofmiss
During pre-purchase inspection, Lexus recommended replacing some missing plastic parts like Engine access cover, Splash guard, Fender liner, etc. but nothing major. Lexus is charging over $1500 for parts & labor.

Is there anyway I can order parts cheaper online & have it replaced by local mechanic?
Can it get too complicated finding out the exact part & subpart numbers?
Don't pay that at the dealership, don't be in a rush to replace those over priced parts, go online, check junk yards. Why were those parts even missing in the first place? You may want to look more into the history of the car, no reason those parts should be missing.
Old 11-12-18, 09:44 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

That is identical to my 2011 Sport - nice! The 2011 control arm bushings are no different from the 2010, and mine are already cracked at 75k.

I recognize the source of that vertical scratch in the center of the rear bumper as being from the hinge of a garage door, when you don't pull in far enough (ask me how I know this).

Here is your engine cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2017-L...4hP~:rk:3:pf:0

Last edited by Tec80; 11-12-18 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hitsofmiss (11-15-18)
Old 11-12-18, 03:33 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by writes123
Just did a quick check off Manheim. With 140k miles, it's above the average of 108k. So the MMR is currently 9650 for your year and mileage. A few dealers are trying to sell them for 12k.

You bought the car so congrats! Perhaps a better deal was around but you have your car, so enjoy!
Dang!!! I paid $3.5k more. With replacement parts, it'll be atleast 5k. That was definitely not a smart play. My daughter uses my SC430 to commute to college & I was left without a car. I guess, I was a bit desperate after 4-5 months of searching, evolving & giving up.

I would love to buy the car at MMR/ auction price. The difference is huge. Just don't know how to go about it.

Any suggestion on procuring various plastic covers?

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 11-12-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 04:55 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Check eBay and do a search for salvage parts networks if you don't have access to a good yard close-by. Don't beat yourself up on the price. There's a huge gap between auction and retail pricing. On the plus side, you have a great car that will remain a great car regardless of price. There are people who pay MSRP for these things and you know, they probably don't enjoy them any more than you will.
hitsofmiss (11-15-18)
Old 11-12-18, 05:33 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on your new to you Lexus. Hope you have many happy miles.
hitsofmiss (11-15-18)
Old 11-15-18, 05:50 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by UDel
That's kind of a lot for a 2010 with 140K miles, I would have walked if he would not negotiate but it is still a very nice car for the money. All 2010's have those potential air suspension/control arm issues, it would have been better if it actually had some of that stuff repaired in the past because it is likely waiting for the next owner/you, the potential repairs might be the reason the guy is selling it. Look around the wheel wells for signs any lubricant was sprayed on the suspension to keep it quiet. Did you have it inspected at a dealership before you bought it?
The car was previously leased/ owned by a President of a company. From what I have gathered in the forums here, most of these issues are fixed in the late 2010 model. And even though the car was religiously maintained at the dealership, nothing more than oil changes were done. This reflects reliability of this particular model.

The PPI at dealership in GA recommended spark plugs & all those plastic parts replacements. My local dealer recommended to replace only the splash & fender guard. They found spark plugs to be fine & the engine access cover being cosmetic, can wait if there are budget concerns. Honestly, I really like my local Lexus dealer & they have been very fair to me. That's what draws me to always approach them. It's a very rare trait among dealers.
Old 11-15-18, 10:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The car was previously leased/ owned by a President of a company. From what I have gathered in the forums here, most of these issues are fixed in the late 2010 model. And even though the car was religiously maintained at the dealership, nothing more than oil changes were done. This reflects reliability of this particular model.

The PPI at dealership in GA recommended spark plugs & all those plastic parts replacements. My local dealer recommended to replace only the splash & fender guard. They found spark plugs to be fine & the engine access cover being cosmetic, can wait if there are budget concerns. Honestly, I really like my local Lexus dealer & they have been very fair to me. That's what draws me to always approach them. It's a very rare trait among dealers.
Being owned by a President of a company does not add any value to a car. The issues were not fixed in 2010, they changed the design of the control arms somewhat but it did not solve the problem, 2010's CA still fail and don't seem to last any longer then the previous design, I test drove a couple 2010+ that were making all kinds of suspension noises that were likely CA related. Air suspension design was not changed in 2010 and they are a issue for all years on pretty much all cars. History could reflect reliability, maybe it was driven gently on smooth roads and not thrashed or it could mean you will be the one who is going to have to deal with those issues soon, hopefully the car is reliable for you. For all those pieces I would look to ebay, online, junk yards or else you are going to be paying a ton of extra money, I would just be very curious why it is even missing those pieces, that sounds odd.

Old 11-16-18, 10:39 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Could we have a poll on how many have had hybrid battery problems ..

...and had to get a new pack..??
I've heard about 1 or 2 that have problems..but these have been living in the southern states in the USA..maybe due to high temperatures ??
My 08 LS600hL has now around 100k miles, but it's mostly been driven in Norway..and it's not 110 Fahrenheit here.. and there is no problem with the hybrid battery..

Last edited by Arvid; 11-16-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 04:44 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arvid
...and had to get a new pack..??
I've heard about 1 or 2 that have problems..but these have been living in the southern states in the USA..maybe due to high temperatures ??
My 08 LS600hL has now around 100k miles, but it's mostly been driven in Norway..and it's not 110 Fahrenheit here.. and there is no problem with the hybrid battery..
That’s an interesting finding. My Lexus Consultant told me it’s a very reliable car. But most of the people here have been complaining about all the common problems of ‘07-‘10 LS 460 + hybrid battery related issues.

So if not battery, what other problems you have encountered? TBH, I just bought a F Sport last week & I was contemplating, did I make the right decision? Should I have gotten LS 600h L instead? That’s a one hell of a sexy looking model, especially the headlights & those ultra luxury features.

Having said that, I got my car back from the dealership after 140k miles oil, cabin air filters, most of the plastic covers replaced & also getting it detailed. Loving every moment & can’t get enough of it. I’m randomly driving in city traffic & just don’t feel like going back home. 😜😂😂

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 11-16-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 06:54 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Other problems with my 2008 LS600hL ?

None...only one 12V battery and tires has been changed ...and I don't skip regular service intervalls
It has so far been just as reliable as my former Lexus..a 1993 LS400 ....

...forgot that the ML amp got the chirping noise and was fixed ..sorry about that :-)

Last picture taken before it was sold in 2012 with 235000 km without any faults as long as I owned it

Last edited by Arvid; 11-17-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-17-18, 12:41 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

My 08 600hL was a potential money pit..over $15k in warranty repairs including a hybrid battery replacement. I dumped it and got a 2012 460L and zero issues. I haven't heard much issues with 2010 and higher 600s . I'd never get another 600 even if a good deal based on my personal experience with one
Old 11-21-18, 11:07 PM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Getting a 2008 Ls 600h on Friday

Hello all
first of what an awesome discussion
iam new and joined today . I have previously been a member of Mercedes forum. I hope you would all welcome me and sincerely hope to contribute some meaningfull discourse and knowledge in the future

so iam getting delivery of a 2008 ls 600h on Friday (day after thanks giving 2018)

have been reading through all resourcefull information on Lexus LS models for a month in this forum and decided to take the plunge. The reason I decided to buy is because of the service history [its pages long] and the fact the car is being sold by the local Lexus dealership here in Omaha , ne ( also they gave the best price I have been quoted for my Benz e 350)

iam getting the ls 600 for 19500, it’s 2008 and has 88 k miles , with the seating, entertainment,luxury package 2, (not the captains chair). The car drives like new, and the exterior and interior is spotless, the interior is phenomenal. All the functions and buttons I tested works. In the last year and a half or 15k miles, the hybrid battery was replaced, all 4 air suspension struts , all brake pads and abs acurators,and transfer case oil (1x) was replaced, so was tires, entertainment system head units etc

the service history says customer was advised to change 3 front control arms, (but it Doesn't appear to have been replaced unless it’s replaced by default when changing struts) so I don’t know.

the car was bought in California for first 40k miles, then in Houston for 30 some k and was sold in an auction where it was bought and resold in Lexus of Omaha for around another 10 k and now listed back for sale. It’s white exterior with a ivory interior. If this car sounds familiar to any member please reach out. Who ever owned it has bought in for repair many times to fix issues which many would consider trivial, (dings, leather rips etc) so I feel confident in buying for the price. I would appreciate any comments, advice that you may have for me. Plz let me know if iam making a good calculated risk here in your opinion, I value it and especially if u are the previous owner

my real question is , should I take an after market warranty and if I do , which brand should I take. Lexus dealership offers something called mechanic service platinum plan and I couldn’t find much info on it online. I guess it’s by assurant group and as far as I can see, not a good one( though Lexus dealership swears by it, they claim they are part owners of the warranty company and quoted me around 5 k dollars for 72 months 70 k miles with 500 deductible)

plz let me know what are my options for a decent warranty that might cover common issues, especially the hydrocarbon switch issue, which I see reported by few.

Thanks again gentlemen and happy to be Among the league of extra ordinary

here is a current link the listing
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=215008159

Last edited by Jaisgrace; 11-21-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 05:46 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That's a very nice car and I think you made a very good and informed decision. The main things that scare a lot of ppl away from the 600 is the hybrid battery, air struts and actuators which have all been replaced recently. Unless these parts are defective out the box I think you should haves years of trouble free driving in that sense. I personally would not buy a warranty knowing all of the recent work that has been done already, others I'm quite sure will feel differently.

Here's a link to a recent thread about warranties.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...anty-cost.html

Original thread.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-service.html
Jaisgrace (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 11:05 AM
pho99
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mind is set on getting a reliable, long lasting, luxury vehicle. And I don't mind looking at high mileage, older, luxury cars as long as they're well taken care of. With 2 daughters in College, I can't even put a quarter aside. But as you said, you only live once, right? TBH, I just want to strike a balance.

As I indicated in my initial post, I decided exploring this option after great experience with both high mileage V8s & assuming the later models will be even more reliable & more luxurious. If the 600h is going to give me nightmares with surprises every now & then than I would rather drive a late 2010 460 or even a Honda or a Toyota.

That's why I asked @ jrmckinley if he's aware of reliable production year of 600h & is it even worth pursuing.
I brought my 2007 Lexus LS460 2 months ago with 200k miles for $7600 on EBay. The car was maintain mostly at Lexus for the life of the car. The only thing I had to do so far was replaced tires, TPMS sensors, brakes and rotors. I have already put over 2000+ miles since I got the car two months ago. So far so good. I was on the same boat looking at a 600h but then I decided as long as the car had ML everything else was gravy. I also didn’t want to deal with paying for the hybrid battery replacement.
Old 11-23-18, 12:10 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaisgrace
Hello all
first of what an awesome discussion
iam new and joined today . I have previously been a member of Mercedes forum. I hope you would all welcome me and sincerely hope to contribute some meaningfull discourse and knowledge in the future

so iam getting delivery of a 2008 ls 600h on Friday (day after thanks giving 2018)

have been reading through all resourcefull information on Lexus LS models for a month in this forum and decided to take the plunge. The reason I decided to buy is because of the service history [its pages long] and the fact the car is being sold by the local Lexus dealership here in Omaha , ne ( also they gave the best price I have been quoted for my Benz e 350)

iam getting the ls 600 for 19500, it’s 2008 and has 88 k miles , with the seating, entertainment,luxury package 2, (not the captains chair). The car drives like new, and the exterior and interior is spotless, the interior is phenomenal. All the functions and buttons I tested works. In the last year and a half or 15k miles, the hybrid battery was replaced, all 4 air suspension struts , all brake pads and abs acurators,and transfer case oil (1x) was replaced, so was tires, entertainment system head units etc

the service history says customer was advised to change 3 front control arms, (but it Doesn't appear to have been replaced unless it’s replaced by default when changing struts) so I don’t know.

the car was bought in California for first 40k miles, then in Houston for 30 some k and was sold in an auction where it was bought and resold in Lexus of Omaha for around another 10 k and now listed back for sale. It’s white exterior with a ivory interior. If this car sounds familiar to any member please reach out. Who ever owned it has bought in for repair many times to fix issues which many would consider trivial, (dings, leather rips etc) so I feel confident in buying for the price. I would appreciate any comments, advice that you may have for me. Plz let me know if iam making a good calculated risk here in your opinion, I value it and especially if u are the previous owner

my real question is , should I take an after market warranty and if I do , which brand should I take. Lexus dealership offers something called mechanic service platinum plan and I couldn’t find much info on it online. I guess it’s by assurant group and as far as I can see, not a good one( though Lexus dealership swears by it, they claim they are part owners of the warranty company and quoted me around 5 k dollars for 72 months 70 k miles with 500 deductible)

plz let me know what are my options for a decent warranty that might cover common issues, especially the hydrocarbon switch issue, which I see reported by few.

Thanks again gentlemen and happy to be Among the league of extra ordinary

here is a current link the listing
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=215008159

As a semi-recent owner of a used 600h, it sounds like you got a great deal considering all the recent work. I'd opt for no warranty and instead just save the warranty money for if there is an issue with the hydrocarbon switch. Then again, 4 new air struts would cost around 1.2k per, so that in itself would be a 5k dealer issue. Struts do wear out, so it would be possible that near the end of 50-70k miles, new ones be required. Good luck with your ew car!
Jaisgrace (11-23-18)

Quick Reply: Reliability LS 460 Vs. LS600h L