Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Reliability LS 460 Vs. LS600h L

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 05:56 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats on the new 600hL! I also live in Omaha and drive a 2010 LS600hL that I bought used this year (from Sid Dillon Chevy in Blair, of all places!). I actually checked our your 600 at Lexus of Omaha when they got it. It was in decent condition, definitely not as nice as my 2010, but reasonably priced. The price kept dropping every couple of weeks until it became a fairly compelling value.

Are you certain it was the hybrid battery pack that was replaced and not the standard 12 volt battery? It would be very unusual for the hybrid batteries to be replaced at that mileage.

I wouldn’t be too fearful of the hydrocarbon switch malfunctioning. It’s a $7k fix, with few aftermarket alternatives, but doesn’t seem to actually impact the operation of the car. Since there is no annual emissions testing in Nebraska, you wouldn’t really need to do the repair if you didn’t want to.

I went with an amazing warranty from CMA that will cover my 600hL for 6 full years, including all suspension parts, electronics, and even the hybrid battery. It cost $2800 and has a $200 deductible. I paid $27,500 for my car this past spring. It had 66k miles and was totally loaded (including Executive seating). Original MSRP was $127k...

Hope to see you cruising around town in your beautiful car! I’ve never seen another 600 “in the wild” since I became aware of this car 5 years ago. Very rare!
The following users liked this post:
Jaisgrace (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 10:29 PM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Welcome to the forum. That's a very nice car and I think you made a very good and informed decision. The main things that scare a lot of ppl away from the 600 is the hybrid battery, air struts and actuators which have all been replaced recently. Unless these parts are defective out the box I think you should haves years of trouble free driving in that sense. I personally would not buy a warranty knowing all of the recent work that has been done already, others I'm quite sure will feel differently.

Here's a link to a recent thread about warranties.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...anty-cost.html

Original thread.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-service.html
Thanks for the inspiration, this car I felt is better than the 2014 LS460 CPo I actually looked at, I mean with all the features. How ever upon care full inspection of the service history, I noticed that the abs actuator has not been changed, it was cited that there is occasional squeekand possibly will have to be changed. I haven’t took the car yet as the check got delayed due to holidays, probably getting on Monday. So still debating . Iam considering talking to the dealership since it’s a safety issue. Don’t know if they will fix it .other than that a lot of stuff has been changed. What is your valuable oppenion on that. Enjoy your ride
Old 11-23-18, 10:37 PM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by writes123
As a semi-recent owner of a used 600h, it sounds like you got a great deal considering all the recent work. I'd opt for no warranty and instead just save the warranty money for if there is an issue with the hydrocarbon switch. Then again, 4 new air struts would cost around 1.2k per, so that in itself would be a 5k dealer issue. Struts do wear out, so it would be possible that near the end of 50-70k miles, new ones be required. Good luck with your ew car!

thats awsome, warranty as far as I understand doesn’t do much good, it’s got mixed results. So I really want to skip it.the shocks are kinda garunteed to go out eventually, my plan is to go for a after market non air suspension. We have a Indy shop in Omaha that has a prior Lexus master tech working at. So iam hoping it won’t be so much of a burn. Thanks for ur advice sincerely
Old 11-23-18, 11:01 PM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by riknchar
Congrats on the new 600hL! I also live in Omaha and drive a 2010 LS600hL that I bought used this year (from Sid Dillon Chevy in Blair, of all places!). I actually checked our your 600 at Lexus of Omaha when they got it. It was in decent condition, definitely not as nice as my 2010, but reasonably priced. The price kept dropping every couple of weeks until it became a fairly compelling value.

Are you certain it was the hybrid battery pack that was replaced and not the standard 12 volt battery? It would be very unusual for the hybrid batteries to be replaced at that mileage.

I wouldn’t be too fearful of the hydrocarbon switch malfunctioning. It’s a $7k fix, with few aftermarket alternatives, but doesn’t seem to actually impact the operation of the car. Since there is no annual emissions testing in Nebraska, you wouldn’t really need to do the repair if you didn’t want to.

I went with an amazing warranty from CMA that will cover my 600hL for 6 full years, including all suspension parts, electronics, and even the hybrid battery. It cost $2800 and has a $200 deductible. I paid $27,500 for my car this past spring. It had 66k miles and was totally loaded (including Executive seating). Original MSRP was $127k...

Hope to see you cruising around town in your beautiful car! I’ve never seen another 600 “in the wild” since I became aware of this car 5 years ago. Very rare!

wow wow wow, small world huh. It’s nice to know there is one out, I haven’t yet seen a 600 ever on road. Great purchase , I would have bought a better one if one was available any where around 200 miles. These cars are so damn rare. I haven’t possessed the car yet. Sid Dillon Blair’s got a 460 l currently that iam planing to see tomorow , my quirk is black interior , which I hate. Other than that it’s a good one. This car happened to be the exact color and speck I always wanted, with a growing family (second child en way) I couldn’t afford the executive package, but it’s damn nice, may be when kids grow up.

This is car when I first went to check it was priced at 24 k and dealer ship gives this bull about upfront pricing. (Guess Lexus dealerships could afford it). Even Benz of Omaha can be negotiated down and they told straight to me that it’s because Lexus has grown. My experience with cpo Benz was awsome, 3 years and 25 k miles , no issues except I just don’t fit in it and it can barely take one infant car seat. Hence upgrading. .

Yes es it’s the hybrid battery was changed, the service record states that the customer was given 4K goodwill allowance. And heaven with hydrocarbon issue, m not fixing it if it pops up. The brake actuator is a bit of a concern for me as snow is gonna start and it’s my wife’s car.iam gonna try to see if they fix it.

how was ur experience with Sid Dillon. Did u buy the insurance through them? How can I purchase the same insurance as Lexus peddled after market insurance doesn’t inspire much. Where do u maintain your car. And who works with that insurance. Ur advice is much appreciated.

ps, why did u sell your previous 600. How was the experience .
holler at me when our paths cross, sooner or later. Enjoy ur awsome ride.
Old 11-24-18, 06:38 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jaisgrace

wow wow wow, small world huh. It’s nice to know there is one out, I haven’t yet seen a 600 ever on road. Great purchase , I would have bought a better one if one was available any where around 200 miles. These cars are so damn rare. I haven’t possessed the car yet. Sid Dillon Blair’s got a 460 l currently that iam planing to see tomorow , my quirk is black interior , which I hate. Other than that it’s a good one. This car happened to be the exact color and speck I always wanted, with a growing family (second child en way) I couldn’t afford the executive package, but it’s damn nice, may be when kids grow up.

This is car when I first went to check it was priced at 24 k and dealer ship gives this bull about upfront pricing. (Guess Lexus dealerships could afford it). Even Benz of Omaha can be negotiated down and they told straight to me that it’s because Lexus has grown. My experience with cpo Benz was awsome, 3 years and 25 k miles , no issues except I just don’t fit in it and it can barely take one infant car seat. Hence upgrading. .

Yes es it’s the hybrid battery was changed, the service record states that the customer was given 4K goodwill allowance. And heaven with hydrocarbon issue, m not fixing it if it pops up. The brake actuator is a bit of a concern for me as snow is gonna start and it’s my wife’s car.iam gonna try to see if they fix it.

how was ur experience with Sid Dillon. Did u buy the insurance through them? How can I purchase the same insurance as Lexus peddled after market insurance doesn’t inspire much. Where do u maintain your car. And who works with that insurance. Ur advice is much appreciated.

ps, why did u sell your previous 600. How was the experience .
holler at me when our paths cross, sooner or later. Enjoy ur awsome ride.
Here’s how the world is even smaller... The LS460L at Sid Dillon is the one I traded into them for my 600hL! That’s a very solid car, and in my mind is priced about right at $19,500. It used to be owned by the Lexus of Omaha used car sales manager (Freddie), and it has been extremely well cared for. I bought it in Feb from Lexus of Omaha for around $21k, I think. I had given up on finding the right 600. And then, of course, Sid Dillon had the 2010, and I struck a really aggressive deal with them on a trade in April/May timeframe. So they’ve been sitting on the 460L for a LONG time, and are probably very negotiable on it!

If you search the forum or look at my post history you can read all the details of my experience with my previous 2008 600hL, my brief experience with a Genesis G90, and my return to the 460L and now the 600hL. Bottom line: I really LOVE the 600, and it was dumb to ever trade my 2008 in. I’ll probably look for a used 2016/2017 600hL in 5.5 years when my warranty expires. There is no finer, quieter, or more refined car to be had for the price...
Old 11-25-18, 01:24 AM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Here’s how the world is even smaller... The LS460L at Sid Dillon is the one I traded into them for my 600hL! That’s a very solid car, and in my mind is priced about right at $19,500. It used to be owned by the Lexus of Omaha used car sales manager (Freddie), and it has been extremely well cared for. I bought it in Feb from Lexus of Omaha for around $21k, I think. I had given up on finding the right 600. And then, of course, Sid Dillon had the 2010, and I struck a really aggressive deal with them on a trade in April/May timeframe. So they’ve been sitting on the 460L for a LONG time, and are probably very negotiable on it!

If you search the forum or look at my post history you can read all the details of my experience with my previous 2008 600hL, my brief experience with a Genesis G90, and my return to the 460L and now the 600hL. Bottom line: I really LOVE the 600, and it was dumb to ever trade my 2008 in. I’ll probably look for a used 2016/2017 600hL in 5.5 years when my warranty expires. There is no finer, quieter, or more refined car to be had for the price...
wow rick, small world Indeed, I will collect the 600 on Monday and run it up my Indy Lexus tech. And the. Take it from there, if things are not looking good. I will go see ur old car at Sid Dillon. I also is looking at a 460 l cpo I see in Lexus of omaha (not equipped to my liking)

i was looking king at some of your old thread and thought I will contact Jeff for a warranty quote. Is it okay to refer u, CNA sounds good. Which policy is that u took, also do u know Lexus of Omaha works with them. Also how’s the 600hl doing with our cold weather, I mean with your previous experience
Old 11-25-18, 06:18 PM
My3Boyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a nice looking car!!! Congratulations on the find!!
The following users liked this post:
Jaisgrace (11-25-18)
Old 11-26-18, 06:05 AM
riknchar
Instructor

wow rick, small world Indeed, I will collect the 600 on Monday and run it up my Indy Lexus tech. And the. Take it from there, if things are not looking good. I will go see ur old car at Sid Dillon. I also is looking at a 460 l cpo I see in Lexus of omaha (not equipped to my liking)

i was looking king at some of your old thread and thought I will contact Jeff for a warranty quote. Is it okay to refer u, CNA sounds good. Which policy is that u took, also do u know Lexus of Omaha works with them. Also how’s the 600hl doing with our cold weather, I mean with your previous experience
I definitely recommend you check on the availability of a CNA warranty for your new 600hL, and sure, you can let Jeff know I referred you. I know the CNA warranties are very heavily influenced by mileage (more than the actual age of the car), so you'll have to pay more for a car with 85K miles than I did for my car with 66k miles, but the fact that everything is covered (including hybrid batteries) made this a very good warranty for me.

My 600hL does just fine in the cold weather! I'm sure the gas engine kicks on sooner as the batteries can't hold as much charge in the cold (like any hybrid or pure electric car), but the car itself never misses a beat, and the AWD system and all the safety features makes the car very safe to drive in the winter. To be honest, though, I always drive my Ram 1500 4WD truck anytime the weather is sloppy, so I really haven't driven in deep snow with my 600hLs.

Good luck with your new car! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Old 08-07-19, 11:12 AM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

I definitely recommend you check on the availability of a CNA warranty for your new 600hL, and sure, you can let Jeff know I referred you. I know the CNA warranties are very heavily influenced by mileage (more than the actual age of the car), so you'll have to pay more for a car with 85K miles than I did for my car with 66k miles, but the fact that everything is covered (including hybrid batteries) made this a very good warranty for me.

My 600hL does just fine in the cold weather! I'm sure the gas engine kicks on sooner as the batteries can't hold as much charge in the cold (like any hybrid or pure electric car), but the car itself never misses a beat, and the AWD system and all the safety features makes the car very safe to drive in the winter. To be honest, though, I always drive my Ram 1500 4WD truck anytime the weather is sloppy, so I really haven't driven in deep snow with my 600hLs.

Hey rick
life life have been too good that I didn’t get a chance to give u an update

2nd baby now 6 morning months, she’s a winner

i bought the ls, u will probably see me around in Omaha or have seen me . I don’t use it much, I like my sequoia too much, how ever my wife loves this car and is now her daily driver , she has since stoped using the Benz . I have no regrets buying the car, we added around 6k miles, the only issue we keep having is the tires going low in air and need to refill every 2 weeks, Lexus IS not sure what’s going on there. Also 3 tires have so far BRUST open, I blame the Omaha mayor for that. Other than that it’s good,

stats
the wintshield is off market and and contributes to any feeble noise that seeps in from outside , highway 27 miles, and in city 21 to 22, lesser if I drive as I like keeping it on and waits no n the car a lot. The car looked spotless when we bought it, have a few scratches , no dents though, even with the recent hail.

i get a good couple miles in the nighbour hood with battery alone, in my mind that’s so cool because it’s so silent, and when I drive past people , I look to see if they notice. (They don’t care a fig).

We we have also decided to get a 2015 or 16 600 hL when a good one pops up here as we think this cars are great and may be even one day be collectibles.

I also noticed the irresistible urge urge that fellow drivers feel to race with me , while I thrust forward elegantly. Not sure I will ever drive a car without v12 again,

Chiaio, honk if u spot us. I have yet to see a 600 in Omaha
Old 08-07-19, 11:15 AM
Jaisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Oh btw, needed up buying a 5 year 60k warranty from Lexus, the 3rd party one, pretty much covers everything except acurators. Have used them so far 3 times for brust tires. And it was free
Old 08-07-19, 11:35 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Hey rick
life life have been too good that I didn’t get a chance to give u an update

2nd baby now 6 morning months, she’s a winner

i bought the ls, u will probably see me around in Omaha or have seen me . I don’t use it much, I like my sequoia too much, how ever my wife loves this car and is now her daily driver , she has since stoped using the Benz . I have no regrets buying the car, we added around 6k miles, the only issue we keep having is the tires going low in air and need to refill every 2 weeks, Lexus IS not sure what’s going on there. Also 3 tires have so far BRUST open, I blame the Omaha mayor for that. Other than that it’s good,

stats
the wintshield is off market and and contributes to any feeble noise that seeps in from outside , highway 27 miles, and in city 21 to 22, lesser if I drive as I like keeping it on and waits no n the car a lot. The car looked spotless when we bought it, have a few scratches , no dents though, even with the recent hail.

i get a good couple miles in the nighbour hood with battery alone, in my mind that’s so cool because it’s so silent, and when I drive past people , I look to see if they notice. (They don’t care a fig).

We we have also decided to get a 2015 or 16 600 hL when a good one pops up here as we think this cars are great and may be even one day be collectibles.

I also noticed the irresistible urge urge that fellow drivers feel to race with me , while I thrust forward elegantly. Not sure I will ever drive a car without v12 again,

Chiaio, honk if u spot us. I have yet to see a 600 in Omaha
Thanks for the update, Jaisgrace! Glad you've had such good luck with the car so far! I'm only driving my LS600 around 7k miles per year (I don't drive it much in the snow/rain), but so far mine has been completely bulletproof! I'll definitely give you a honk if I see you out and about on our Omaha streets. I've never seen another LS600 "in the wild," and very rarely even see an LS460 on the streets...

Sounds like you've gotten some money's worth out of the warranty you bought! Good deal. So far mine has been a complete waste, but that's okay. I figure at some point in the next 6 years, I'll need a new Air Shock, Amp, Brake Actuator, or Hybrid batteries... If not, that's just a good sign about out solid the LS600 is!
Old 12-29-23, 06:08 PM
Hosed
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
My 08 600hL was a potential money pit..over $15k in warranty repairs including a hybrid battery replacement. I dumped it and got a 2012 460L and zero issues. I haven't heard much issues with 2010 and higher 600s . I'd never get another 600 even if a good deal based on my personal experience with one

I know this is old, but my battery in my 2012 600hl went bad, and was around $7k to replace it. Also, many control arms and items were bad and were $12k to replace.

I want to have a paid off car and knowing these types of items will not occur. 460s still have luxury
Old 12-29-23, 07:14 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosed
I know this is old, but my battery in my 2012 600hl went bad, and was around $7k to replace it. Also, many control arms and items were bad and were $12k to replace.

I want to have a paid off car and knowing these types of items will not occur. 460s still have luxury
how many miles?
you should take your car to the CAR CARE NUT. He is on YouTube too.