LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear air strut replacement with new Arnott aftermarket struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 03:25 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The ride is very definitely different even if it's reactive. The damper actuators react remarkably quickly, and they do not have to turn the adjustment rod much to have a radical change.

Passive air suspension merely uses air bags in place of steel springs, but the pressure can be varied some, so ride height is, in theory, variable. Can be made harder or softer, to a degree, by how much air pressure is required to hold a specific height.

This is why 'height high' rides a little strangely, because the struts are close to maximum pressure and extension.
Old 10-20-18, 07:29 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe

Passive means it’s regular struts and springs, no room for adjusting the suspension. Active provides control. True active valving would learn the roads and dampen as needed.

In our LS460, we have semi-active meaning we can switch from stiff to soft on the dampeners or leave it as normal. The actuators above the shock/strife turns clockwise or counter-clockwise to determine how stiff or soft the ride is.

Stiff means less vertical movement of the strut which puts more stress on the seals and hydraulics of the strute, soft means more travel (a lil more bouncy) and puts more stress on the air bags. People think the air bag controls the dampening effect of using the sport/comfort mode switch but they don’t.

thanks for the explanation!

So, If I were to replace my suspension w/ Arnott, would the different drive modes be non-functional?
Old 10-21-18, 03:32 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Correct. The sport/comfort switch no longer changes anything.
Old 10-21-18, 08:06 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Correct. The sport/comfort switch no longer changes anything.
Thanks! My bad for asking a question you already addressed. I just read your previous responses.

I agree that removing the drive mode functions, is enough for me NOT to use Arnott, when the time comes to change out suspension.

Unless Arnott, or a different manufacturer makes air suspension w/ the same functionality as OEM, I will stick w OEM for now.
Old 10-21-18, 08:48 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

You know.... I'm now wondering if including the semi-active valving would have driven the price up to the same as OEM, completely negating the cost savings of going aftermarket. That's just about the only reasoning for leaving it out that I would accept. Still won't get me to buy Arnott over OEM, but I could accept it as a legitimate argument since they're shooting for the "budget replacement" segment.
Old 10-22-18, 09:51 AM
ArnottInc
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Info on Arnott New Struts for the LS 460

It really all comes down to cost. Arnott is trying to provide LS 460 owners, some of which are going on 11+ year old, with an option that doesn't remove the comfort, luxury and height adjustability owners have grown to love but doesn't cost what you would spend at a dealership.

As you know an OEM rear strut for the LS 460 retails for $1,586.46 at the dealership - plus installation (Left or Right; Comfort or Sport). If you look at the Oct 2018 NADA on a 2007 (first year for this model) the average retail is now $7,550 and the car has over 120k miles.

After looking at many used cores that were purchased over the years - Arnott engineers decided the worn out used semi-active struts were not up to our standards for remanufacturing. Arnott then created an aftermarket strut with all new tier 1 components including new top and bottom mounts, bolts, ContiTech air bladder, air fitting, protective can and dust boot - and internal shock. The new damper was custom valved over months and countless road miles, to provide a great ride that we hope owners will like for $799 retail (almost half the OE MSRP) including a limited lifetime warranty. We offer dozens of similar new struts for other makes and models and normally get rave reviews (because you are comparing a worn damper and air spring to new ones with tighter mounts and bushings.)

Arnott-designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort, and auto leveling of air springs but replace the older original semi-active damping shock with a new, custom-valved shock designed to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.

If you use or like the difference active-dampers provide and your vehicle is a newer model year - get the OE. If you have multiple air suspension issues (multiple worn struts, failing ECU, bad compressor, unknown leaks) maybe a conversion kit is the most cost effective solution (Arnott will be developing such as delete kit in the coming years) and if you want to keep
the luxury, comfort, and auto leveling of air springs at a nice price - give the Arnott New Struts a look.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...air-suspension

Last edited by ArnottInc; 10-22-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 10:34 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Doug makes several valid points. They're a good alternative to OEM, however, I wish I'd known they were 100% passive. Personally, I used the active aspect of mine, daily, so I miss it.

As a bonus, Arnott's struts are warrantied for life.

I do wish I could find someone to rebuild the tired OEM ones I already have, but that's a very special service, and I will likely find it only on the west coast, somewhere, if at all.
Old 10-23-18, 07:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Great write-up Kelly! Even my non air was a NIGHTMARE to do, so I can only imagine.

Well done Lad
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (10-24-18)
Old 10-23-18, 08:30 AM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Kelly,

Thanks for for the update and the new information about the product. These things definitely would have been nice to know before you did this especially since you wanted to keep that stock ride.

However, Arnott does make some very real good points about cost and age of vehicle if things go bad so it is an option when not wanting to spend so much money.

If if you do find a place to rebuild your factory ones, please let us know as others would surely be interested.

Thanks again for your keen observations and great write up of the whole affair.

Last edited by Cubbylex; 10-23-18 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (10-24-18)
Old 10-30-18, 11:11 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

Why is this written in Arnott’s product description?

”AS-2856 is an Arnott engineered aftermarket air suspension strut for the rear right or left hand side of the 2007-2012 Lexus LS 460 and 2008-2012 LS 600h both with adaptive variable suspension (AVS) .”

For the longest time, I took this as Arnott’s struts having AVS but after learning of the OP’s problems, it’s for cars with AVS. Then again, it can be easily implicit that it has AVS. It’s not deceptive but poorly written.
Old 11-01-18, 10:21 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

That's the way I read it, too, however, while not deceptive, it's on the hairy edge, IMO.

Not helping matters is the center rod which is for adjustment, but does nothing in theirs.
Old 11-01-18, 11:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I always considered them a valid replacement but without the adjustability between the 3 settings that's a big problem.

The money you save on buying arnott will be nothing compared to the depreciation of the vehicle on resale.

Try making a for sale add which reads "car no longer has air ride adjustability due to aftermarket struts" and all you will hear is crickets

I would rather take a chance on the oem rebuilds from china , they are half the price of arnotts and come with a warrantee also
Old 11-05-18, 08:47 AM
ArnottInc
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Try making a for sale add which reads "car no longer has air ride adjustability due to aftermarket struts" and all you will hear is crickets

Actually, it would be more accurate to say: "Car no longer has actuator controlled semi-active adjustable dampers but does retain air spring comfort and air suspension adjustability (including any self leveling)."

Yes, If you want to afford it - OEM is always the single best option for retaining stock semi-active damping functionality. While a remanufactured strut would also offer semi-active damping our engineers where not impressed by the LS 460 actuator controlled damping and jumped past that option in favor of a brand new damper that is valved for a great ride, offers 100% new bottom and top mounts, bushings, seals, air valve and a name brand air spring (ContiTech) that maintains the luxury of adjustable, self leveling, air suspension at a more affordable price for your aging LS 460.

The next option will / would be a coil spring conversion kit.