LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What did you do to your LS today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 04:36 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

A SMOG sensor attached to the radiator with filter medium that needs to be cleaned occasionally. Now I understand. Thanks. First time I've seen it mentioned on the forum.
Old 02-27-20, 08:20 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Found the SMOG sensor 2013 LS. Passenger, front side of radiator next to horn. The size of a cigarette lighter. Remove the two forward engine panels that cover belts and radiator by pressing buttons in center of pond black clips. These are resettable by pushing the pointed end back into the up position. One !0mm bolt holds the sensor in place. After unbolting, I unsnapped the plastic assembly and remove the white filter media and rinsed it in warm soapy water and blotted it dry with a couple of paper towels. I also used the damp towel to wipe the interior and exterior of casing. Reassembled and done. At 58k miles the filter was worth cleaning but not clogged. You can adjust how quickly your HVAC system switches between outside and cabin air. There's a setting on your NAV screen under climate controls. Most posts mention keeping the setting centered. Likely not really noticeable but it is something to address if you enjoy tinkering. I went into detail for the benefit of new members.
The following users liked this post:
BMW7_LS430 (02-27-20)
Old 03-02-20, 07:13 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Looks like we have a duplicate thread with same intent. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...460-today.html
Old 03-03-20, 07:01 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Found the SMOG sensor 2013 LS. Passenger, front side of radiator next to horn. The size of a cigarette lighter. Remove the two forward engine panels that cover belts and radiator by pressing buttons in center of pond black clips. These are resettable by pushing the pointed end back into the up position. One !0mm bolt holds the sensor in place. After unbolting, I unsnapped the plastic assembly and remove the white filter media and rinsed it in warm soapy water and blotted it dry with a couple of paper towels. I also used the damp towel to wipe the interior and exterior of casing. Reassembled and done. At 58k miles the filter was worth cleaning but not clogged. You can adjust how quickly your HVAC system switches between outside and cabin air. There's a setting on your NAV screen under climate controls. Most posts mention keeping the setting centered. Likely not really noticeable but it is something to address if you enjoy tinkering. I went into detail for the benefit of new members.
After getting a used LS, I have never even heard of anyone from Lexus cleaning these. When I got my 2014, it looked like it was never cleaned(caked in leaf parts). I cleaned mine the same way and it made a MAJOR difference on how it worked.

Prior setting to very sensitive (highest setting), it would lag, I would smell exhaust from a car/truck (that was not in good shape), then after I noticed it, I would see it change over but, the damage was already done. My wife made a comment on it that she could smell the car in front of us.

After cleaning, on the highway, I never smell anything outside, it keeps it on cabin air for most of the time on the highway but, once a open way comes (no cars around), I would see it change outside. I think I need to drop it down a little

This was the same on my 2007, as well as my 2014, in the same location. I wonder if anyone actually found a OEM part to replace the filter with a new one. Cutting up a home air filter would do the job but, possibly not as good.

It would be nice to get a brand new filter, like when the car was brand new.... Anyone find a OEM filter replacement ?

Last edited by DavidinCT; 03-03-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-03-20, 09:23 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Looks like we have a duplicate thread with same intent. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...460-today.html
Looks like I got to it first

MODS!!!!
Old 11-29-20, 08:53 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Not today but Friday- had the oil and filter changed, brakes and rotors replaced, and both rear shocks w/mounts replaced. Rear driver's side shock was leaking, now it feels like a brand new car. May do the fronts as I feel the front passenger's side has been rougher on the bumps past few months, hard hit on NYC potholes where it used to just bump over them- it feels like my old WRX without the hard metal crunch. One thing about this car, unless I really pay attention I don't notice when this stuff goes bad as easily as I would in another car, it was still driving fine and comfy with the rear on it's way out.
Old 11-29-20, 02:21 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
After getting a used LS, I have never even heard of anyone from Lexus cleaning these. When I got my 2014, it looked like it was never cleaned(caked in leaf parts). I cleaned mine the same way and it made a MAJOR difference on how it worked.

Prior setting to very sensitive (highest setting), it would lag, I would smell exhaust from a car/truck (that was not in good shape), then after I noticed it, I would see it change over but, the damage was already done. My wife made a comment on it that she could smell the car in front of us.

After cleaning, on the highway, I never smell anything outside, it keeps it on cabin air for most of the time on the highway but, once a open way comes (no cars around), I would see it change outside. I think I need to drop it down a little

This was the same on my 2007, as well as my 2014, in the same location. I wonder if anyone actually found a OEM part to replace the filter with a new one. Cutting up a home air filter would do the job but, possibly not as good.

It would be nice to get a brand new filter, like when the car was brand new.... Anyone find a OEM filter replacement ?
sounds like aquarium filter media