LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2nd time I will need a new actuator for the door lock...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 12:12 PM
mooondog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd time I will need a new actuator for the door lock...

2015 LS460. 34,000 miles. My driver door actuator was replaced earlier this year. Now my rear driver-side actuator has failed.

Is this "a thing" with the 2015 LS460 or just bad luck?

Also ---- can I "push" them to replace the other 3 before warranty eventually runs out? What will they say when I ask? I'm pretty pushy when I need to be and it's warranted. I think in this case, it's warranted.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Eric
Torrance, CA
Old 08-11-18, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Its a relatively common issue with Lexus vehicles...
The following users liked this post:
mooondog (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 10:05 AM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Twice? You car is almost new....

This only happens once in my 02 LS years ago. Genuine parts itself is $350 (There may be substitutes; but I prefer Lexus source if affordable). The total bill is $650 with labour and tax. Now I think it is quite stupid to get that repaired because
1) I have no intention to sell my 02 LS; and no one wants such an old car.
2) I cannot recall more than 2 occasions when the front passenger seat was taken.

My 10 LS? Not happened yet. Let's see.
mooondog (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 03:04 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

What will they say if you push have others replaced under warranty prior to failure?

The will say, "No."
Old 08-14-18, 09:03 AM
mooondog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriC
What will they say if you push have others replaced under warranty prior to failure?

The will say, "No."
Okay, so let's say another fails just outside of warranty. Will Lexus stand by their product and do the right thing? Or are they no longer a brand consumers can trust?
Old 08-14-18, 09:47 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by mooondog
Okay, so let's say another fails just outside of warranty. Will Lexus stand by their product and do the right thing? Or are they no longer a brand consumers can trust?
Goodwill repairs such as you describe seem to be hit or miss with all manufacturers. The transmission in our '99 Honda Odyssey failed at 41,000 miles. At the time it was not yet known to the public that these transmissions simply weren't sufficiently stout for the weight of the vehicle. For whatever reason, it was then replaced at no charge. At the time, the best that most anyone in a similar situation did was to get Honda to split the cost 50/50. Why were we treated better? I don't know, but presumably the dealer went to bat for us and, as a result, we have since bought many new cars from that store. Eventually, Honda extended the warranty on those early bad transmissions for everybody. Likewise, stories abound about goodwill repairs on the LS 460 - think melting dashes and door panels for example.

It seems to me though that the real issue is that door lock actuators have been a recurring Lexus issue for more than 10 years. Why they have not developed a more robust design is simply inexcusable.
mooondog (08-14-18)
Old 08-16-18, 04:26 PM
mooondog
Driver School Candidate

So now South Bay Lexus is giving me the old "we can't replicate the issue". I said "keep trying..... i'll bring the loaner back when you replace the actuator". We'll see where this goes. Based on my history with them and basically being an LS owner since 2006 they better do the right thing. But I will hold this loaner hostage as long as I need too.
Old 08-17-18, 09:51 AM
mooondog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriC
Goodwill repairs such as you describe seem to be hit or miss with all manufacturers. The transmission in our '99 Honda Odyssey failed at 41,000 miles. At the time it was not yet known to the public that these transmissions simply weren't sufficiently stout for the weight of the vehicle. For whatever reason, it was then replaced at no charge. At the time, the best that most anyone in a similar situation did was to get Honda to split the cost 50/50. Why were we treated better? I don't know, but presumably the dealer went to bat for us and, as a result, we have since bought many new cars from that store. Eventually, Honda extended the warranty on those early bad transmissions for everybody. Likewise, stories abound about goodwill repairs on the LS 460 - think melting dashes and door panels for example.

It seems to me though that the real issue is that door lock actuators have been a recurring Lexus issue for more than 10 years. Why they have not developed a more robust design is simply inexcusable.
I vented on Twitter and Lexus reached out and started some dialogue via direct message. This is what I got this morning.... "I appreciate the follow up, Eric. I understand how frustrated you feel, and want you to know South Bay Lexus is working diligently on this issue. I was able to get in touch with Service Manager, XXXXXX, who did advise they were not able to duplicate the concern, but will keep trying through the weekend. I hope to have more information for you by Tuesday. ^RR....."
Old 08-24-18, 12:23 PM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooondog
So now South Bay Lexus is giving me the old "we can't replicate the issue". I said "keep trying..... i'll bring the loaner back when you replace the actuator". We'll see where this goes. Based on my history with them and basically being an LS owner since 2006 they better do the right thing. But I will hold this loaner hostage as long as I need too.
Wow. Lexus offered you a loaner for a small issue like actuator? They are nice..... What did you bring home? RX?

It is understandable that they are not going to replace the 3 functional ones...but for the one that is defective, they should take care of that. How about you take your car back first and if the same problem shows up, you immediately bring it back to Lexus? I bet they will get their jaw dropped. You are not going anywhere if they insist that the issue is not reproducible...
Old 08-24-18, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Lexus gives me loaners for oil changes. If you ask, you should always get a loaner.