LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front Lower Ball Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 09:20 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Front Lower Ball Joint Replacement

I'm going to start off by saying, I wouldn't recommend this for a diy. It's not an easy task by any means and requires a lot of tools that most people wouldn't have. I spent about 10-11 hours over 2 days trying to figure out how to do this (my first time working on a LS460L). I'm only posting this to provide insight into how to attempt the repair since I couldn't find much information before starting.

Tools needed/what I used:
- Ball joint kit - Alltrade 648617 Kit #46 Master Ball Joint/U-Joint Service Tool Set - 23 Piece
- Mini sledge hammer - Stanley FMHT51297 FATMAX AntiVibe Fiberglass Engineering Sledge Hammer, 4 lb
- Impact gun - Milwaukee High torque 2767-20
- Penetrating oil/lubricant - PB Blaster
- 1/2" ratchet (at least 12" long) - Snap on S80
- Snap ring pliers
- Multiple Flat head screw drivers

*The first step before starting this entire process is to throw your new ball joints in the freezer (I left them in there for over 24 hours) so they can shrink and become easier to press in.*

Ball joint removal:
1. Once the knuckle is removed from the car, flip it over and remove the C clip from the bottom with the snap ring pliers and flat head screw drivers.
2. Mock up the C clamp with the appropriate receiving cup and driver. Notice that the receiving cup is larger than the diameter of the ball joint and the driver is smaller than the ball joint diameter

3. When placing the receiving cup over the ball joint, you want the half moon to be on the back side of the knuckle and placed in a position that it can't shift when pressing the ball joint out. If you're not careful, and the assembly shifts the cups will shave off pieces of aluminum knuckle.

4. Prop the knuckle on to a block of wood (to elevate the wrench side of the clamp)
5. Use the impact gun to press the ball joint out (it took me about 30 seconds to get the ball joint out)
6. Once the ball joint was out, I used degreaser and cleaned everything to inspect the ball joint bore. I left the knuckles out in the sun for a bit, so they could warm up and expand (plus I needed a break).

Ball joint installation:
I took the ball joint out of the freezer, and started mocking up my clamp rig. There are a few requirements:
- The part that covers the ball joint can't rip the boot and it has to seat on the edge of the ball joint.
- The ball joint has to pass through the knuckle (the clip needs to lock in place), so the receiving cup has to be larger than the diameter of the ball joint.

1. Start by mocking up the clamp with the appropriate cup and driver
2. Try to get the ball joint as straight as possible. The knuckle is at a weird angle, so this is very difficult to do.
3. Spray the surface that is getting pressed into the knuckle with some type of lubricant and start turning the ratchet to tighten the clamp.
4. After doing a couple of turns inspect the space between the ball joint seat and the knuckle to see if its even. If there is a larger gap on one side, then take the mini sledge hammer and gave it a good whack on that side until the gap looks even all around.
5. Once the gap starts to look even again, spray some more lubricant and tighten the ratchet
6. If you start to feel the resistance increasing, then check the gaps, whack it with the sledge hammer, add more lubricant and keep going
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the ball joint is completely seated into the knuckle.

*The above steps for installation sound easy, but it's definitely going to make you sore. If you have a second person to help you hold the knuckle down it'll help a lot otherwise you'll have to find a position where you can hold the knuckle while having enough leverage to force two pieces of metal together. Do not use the impact gun to install the ball joint. The impact gun spins at a much faster speed and will force the ball joint to make a new home for itself. The best way is to use a ratchet, so you can get feedback and feel the misalignment happening.

This is what it'll look like once the ball joint is completely seated:

8. Once the ball joint is seated, install the lower C clip
9. Reinstall knuckle on to the car with all new arms
10. Align the car
11. Admire all your hard work

The following 4 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
213374U (11-02-18), 3GSShoe (04-08-19), NotFasty (01-04-19), yyymmm31 (08-06-18)
Old 08-06-18, 11:10 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

would be great to make a Youtube video on this topic.
Old 08-06-18, 12:57 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

----
Also see the posting by SuperDenso (Ball Joint Removal tip): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ue-spec-s.html
---
Old 08-06-18, 02:00 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texas008
would be great to make a Youtube video on this topic.
Hopefully, someone else would be willing to do that. Videos are too time consuming and with a job that is this dirty, it can become aggravating setting up every shot for filming. I wasn't planning on writing this up when I was working on the car or I would have more detailed pictures. I decided to write this after the fact since I do it for my SC build.

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
----
Also see the posting by SuperDenso (Ball Joint Removal tip): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ue-spec-s.html
---
That's a great thread on it's own, but the ball joint removal tips in SuperDenso's thread have to do with removing the ball boints from the arms. You would need to use all the info in his thread to get to the step that mine starts at.
Old 11-01-18, 08:35 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey guys

Ive been told the lower balljoints on my cars control arms were shot and needing replacement

Is this the same balljoint he would be talking about ?

I can buy control arms that have the balljoints built in, wouldn't that be the easiest way to go about it?

Thanks
Old 11-02-18, 09:32 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Hey guys

Ive been told the lower balljoints on my cars control arms were shot and needing replacement

Is this the same balljoint he would be talking about ?

I can buy control arms that have the balljoints built in, wouldn't that be the easiest way to go about it?

Thanks
I saw your other post. If you check Rock Auto, the mid models have a the ball joints built in...

I'm suspecting that mine have issues too..
Old 11-02-18, 10:04 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I saw your other post. If you check Rock Auto, the mid models have a the ball joints built in...

I'm suspecting that mine have issues too..
thank you very much

I've been confused by this

why some have balljoints and some don't
Old 11-02-18, 01:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

There are 4 ball joints on each side of the front. 2 UCA and 2 LCA. 3 of the 4 arms have built in ball joints, the last LCA doesn't have a ball joint. The matching ball joint for the LCA is built into the knuckle, and that's what this thread is about.

You'll most likely need to replace all the arms and ball joints in the future, so you might as well do it in 1 shot to save on labor.
The following 4 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
1WILLY1 (11-02-18), ALK (11-02-18), taliyah57 (04-23-24), texas008 (02-13-23)
Old 11-02-18, 02:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
There are 4 ball joints on each side of the front. 2 UCA and 2 LCA. 3 of the 4 arms have built in ball joints, the last LCA doesn't have a ball joint. The matching ball joint for the LCA is built into the knuckle, and that's what this thread is about.

You'll most likely need to replace all the arms and ball joints in the future, so you might as well do it in 1 shot to save on labor.
Thanks , that sums it up nicely
Old 12-10-18, 03:07 PM
florinh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the post. I replaced all 8 control arms in my car (2008) and it still makes front end noise. Mechanic says its my lower ball joints. The lower forward arm came with the ball joint but the lower rear ball joint apparently is a separate item. After some online research, I called Lexus and they confirmed that they only sell it with the knuckle. Price for the knuckle is 400-500 for each side. Has anyone found where I can purchase the ball joints separately?

09 and higher seem to sell seperately just nothing for 07-08. Would the 09 fit in my 08?
Old 12-11-18, 05:18 PM
rneteorite
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by florinh
Thank you for the post. I replaced all 8 control arms in my car (2008) and it still makes front end noise. Mechanic says its my lower ball joints. The lower forward arm came with the ball joint but the lower rear ball joint apparently is a separate item. After some online research, I called Lexus and they confirmed that they only sell it with the knuckle. Price for the knuckle is 400-500 for each side. Has anyone found where I can purchase the ball joints separately?

09 and higher seem to sell seperately just nothing for 07-08. Would the 09 fit in my 08?
I installed this:
https://www.armstrongdistributors.co...sb-460-461-463
thought that it would fix it but it still rides bumpy. Damn it, I wish i knew this earlier.
Old 12-11-18, 06:09 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I got these for the front and had a shop put them in.

​​​​​​https://febestparts.com/BALL_JOINT/0120-USF40F
Old 01-28-22, 11:07 PM
kayoka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for detail instruction.

What was the ball joint that you used ? Do you have a link or part number ? I am trying to replace my LH knuckle ball joint ls460 2009 as it starts leaking
Old 01-29-22, 08:23 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kayoka

What was the ball joint that you used ? Do you have a link or part number ? I am trying to replace my LH knuckle ball joint ls460 2009 as it starts leaking
The part i used is still available but looks like the price has gone up.
Old 01-29-22, 11:53 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by kayoka

pm me your vin so I can get you correct part no

Quick Reply: Front Lower Ball Joint Replacement