LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Radio / Stereo randomly shuts down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 01:48 PM
amgantt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio / Stereo randomly shuts down.

Over the past year, the Mark Levinson radio/stereo just randomly turns off while driving. If there are any CD's in the player -- they just start ejecting. I have done my best to make some correlation to a bump in the road or the outside temperature but it is all just very random. It never happens when I'm at a complete stop, at least not yet. Since this started I have scoured this forum and even had the battery replaced at the Lexus dealer. Now it is becoming more and more frequent to the point of a nuisance.

I have seen other suggestions that recommend checking the grounding locations -- but other than the battery connections, I do not have a clue on where to start checking.

Any ideas other than getting a new one?
Old 07-28-18, 10:25 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

What do you do to recover when this happens? Are you able to get it going quickly or do you have to wait a while?
Old 07-31-18, 06:03 AM
amgantt
Driver School Candidate

All it takes is a push of the power **** and it turns right back on.
Old 07-31-18, 08:12 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Very strange.

Has this ever occurred at night, when it might be more obvious that the car has experienced an electrical disturbance, evidenced by flicker or blink of the headlights or dash lights?
Old 07-31-18, 08:26 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you alone when it happens? My dog/kids/etc like to bump the power button in my rear seat console .....
Old 07-31-18, 08:59 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Remember reading about this as a common problem in early models. Some had to take the unit out, open it up and solder a few connections inside by the volume ****. You should be able to find it after googling....I came across it a while back when my radio did the same thing after I had the car sitting outside in heat for a few days
Old 07-31-18, 12:21 PM
NVRLFT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Remember reading about this as a common problem in early models. Some had to take the unit out, open it up and solder a few connections inside by the volume ****. You should be able to find it after googling....I came across it a while back when my radio did the same thing after I had the car sitting outside in heat for a few days
My 09 literally started the day I drove off the lot with it took it back and they put a new head unit in it haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-01-18, 07:13 AM
amgantt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Are you alone when it happens? My dog/kids/etc like to bump the power button in my rear seat console .....
Always alone in the car -- to work and back.
Old 08-01-18, 01:04 PM
bobrxlex
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

same thing happened to me. literally had 1 month left on my 8 year platinum extended warranty and took it in hopefully that the dealer would see the problem. luckily they did and put in a whole new system it wasn't mark Levinson but stock system for 2008 ls
Old 08-02-18, 07:17 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I had this happen 2 days ago. Radio shut down and 1 cd ejected. Tried inject cd and turn radio back on but would not work. I swiched to maps and then back to audio and this time radio came back on. Weird to say the least.
Old 08-02-18, 07:27 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I had this happen 2 days ago. Radio shut down and 1 cd ejected. Tried inject cd and turn radio back on but would not work. I swiched to maps and then back to audio and this time radio came back on. Weird to say the least.
I think audio unit has something wrong something like loose connector or cold solder joint(s) on logic board. Unit is going into some faulty state and going down to protect itself. Power on initialize the unit.
Old 08-19-18, 09:13 AM
SocalBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was the amp but all of the amp fuses are ok. My radio will shut off and just not work. At times I will try and power on the radio but it cuts in and out. Other times it will work but I can't go to the radio screen to change radio stations.
Old 08-19-18, 09:18 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Do you think it would be a bad ground/connection?
Old 08-19-18, 11:10 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalBobby
I think I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was the amp but all of the amp fuses are ok. My radio will shut off and just not work. At times I will try and power on the radio but it cuts in and out. Other times it will work but I can't go to the radio screen to change radio stations.
Amp can shut down without blowing a fuse. In that matter any electrical circuit can go out without blowing fuse. If amp was over heating it can shut down
to protect itself not necessarily fuse blows. When it cools off amp will return to work but repeating this cycle will likely damage the amp.
The following users liked this post:
Rello (12-03-20)
Old 08-25-18, 07:37 AM
Wombat58
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My display gives me an error something like "disc not found" and then shuts off. I am listening to radio so that error is almost like it is trying to change inputs. But why it shuts off is odd. I also cannot change stations or change inputs when I first enter the vehicle on a hot day. I have been assuming that I need to replace the entire head unit. If there is a fix I would like to know about it.

Quick Reply: Radio / Stereo randomly shuts down.