LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 05:33 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensors

Hello,
I have 22" aftermarket rims on my 07 ls460. These tires do not have TPMS in them. I went on amazon.com and searched for about 2 weeks looking for the right sensors. I ended up getting Denso Item # 550-0103. So I take the sensors to my custom wheel guy and he charges me $150 to install them. When I pick up my car my dash says checking but it never finds. I dropped my car off again today while I was working and when I picked it back up it said the same thing. The guy said that they "wake up" but aren't recognized so he has to type in each sensors info. After he does that he said it shows up but then disappears later. I'm not sure if I believe him or if he's just trying to get me to buy sensors from him. I did take my car to tires plus and they tried to sync up and they told me that there machine cant find them.
Has anyone had any issues with buying sensors and them being defective?
What sensors work??
Amazon gave me a $5 coupon to help offset the $150 I paid to have them installed LOL. and since they are in my tires now..... I have to pay again to have them removed before I can even return them to Amazon for a refund. I need to find the correct ones so I can install them when he removes the Densos.

I called auto parts warehouse and they are telling me that they are a direct fit.

Last edited by dphennis; 07-18-18 at 05:51 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 07-18-18, 06:26 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Sensor has life span because they have battery in them. You need Tech Stream to DIY on registering your new sensor ids. into ECU. Or needs TPMS tool. I have Autel one which can trigger, scan sensors, read id.
frequency, temperature and battery status.
Then this tool can register those ids. into ECU by connecting the tool to OBD port. It takes less than 30 minutes for the whole job. Two frequnecies are used for sensors. Either you use univeral type dual frequency sensor or frequency specific for your car.
Old 07-19-18, 06:17 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dphennis
Hello,
I have 22" aftermarket rims on my 07 ls460. These tires do not have TPMS in them. I went on amazon.com and searched for about 2 weeks looking for the right sensors. I ended up getting Denso Item # 550-0103. So I take the sensors to my custom wheel guy and he charges me $150 to install them. When I pick up my car my dash says checking but it never finds. I dropped my car off again today while I was working and when I picked it back up it said the same thing. The guy said that they "wake up" but aren't recognized so he has to type in each sensors info. After he does that he said it shows up but then disappears later. I'm not sure if I believe him or if he's just trying to get me to buy sensors from him. I did take my car to tires plus and they tried to sync up and they told me that there machine cant find them.
Has anyone had any issues with buying sensors and them being defective?
What sensors work??
Amazon gave me a $5 coupon to help offset the $150 I paid to have them installed LOL. and since they are in my tires now..... I have to pay again to have them removed before I can even return them to Amazon for a refund. I need to find the correct ones so I can install them when he removes the Densos.

I called auto parts warehouse and they are telling me that they are a direct fit.
I believe that you have the correct sensors. It is unlikely that the sensors would have a battery problem, or any other sort of problem. The TPMS has been mandated, by NHTSA, for all new US automobiles for over 10 years. Any major tire retailer should be equipped with the electronic tools and staffed with trained technicians to make your TPMS work. Try Sam's Club or Costco. I don't believe your "wheel guy" and "tires plus" are well informed - their advice is not good.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-19-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 08:26 AM
dphennis
Driver

I think you are right. Going by a few other places today. Thabks
Old 07-19-18, 04:09 PM
dphennis
Driver

Went by 2 places and both machines they used will not learn the sensors. Both say receiving information and then it fails.
Old 07-19-18, 06:51 PM
artesuave
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you try anywhere else?
Old 07-19-18, 07:27 PM
jmcraney

You may have a problem with tires that are not compatible with the TPMS. This potential was realized during the Rule Convention.

Here is a clip from the final rule: [36]�The RMA submitted information on the prevalence of tires with characteristics identified as potentially being incompatible with proper TPMS functioning, at least in some cases. These problems are primarily related to the tires' construction (e.g. , high carbon content in low aspect-ratio tires, thicker sidewall, or steel body ply sidewall). According to the RMA, in 2002, light vehicle tires having either steel body ply cords (steel casing tires) or run-flat capability accounted for less than 0.5 percent of tires distributed in the United States. (See letter from Steven Butcher, Vice President, Rubber Manufacturers Association, to NHTSA (October 31, 2003) (Docket No. NHTSA-2000-8572-282))

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-20-18 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 02:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You may have a problem with tires that are not compatible with the TPMS. This potential was realized during the Rule Convention.

Here is a clip from the final rule: [36]�The RMA submitted information on the prevalence of tires with characteristics identified as potentially being incompatible with proper TPMS functioning, at least in some cases. These problems are primarily related to the tires' construction (e.g. , high carbon content in low aspect-ratio tires, thicker sidewall, or steel body ply sidewall). According to the RMA, in 2002, light vehicle tires having either steel body ply cords (steel casing tires) or run-flat capability accounted for less than 0.5 percent of tires distributed in the United States. (See letter from Steven Butcher, Vice President, Rubber Manufacturers Association, to NHTSA (October 31, 2003) (Docket No. NHTSA-2000-8572-282))
TPMS' main job is just to measure the pressure inside the tire and transmit the data to receiver connected to ECU. The frequency is high VHF or low UHF range frequencies. As an EE it is hard to believe materials used on tire attenuates signal too much? Those concerns should be taken care of during sensor development stage. Remeber when first ABS came on ther market? Some were affected by when vehicle is crossing a bridge with steel structures. Maybe the sensor's battery is marginal(near dead) in this case. With my tool I could trigger, scan sensors I came across without any issues.
Old 07-20-18, 05:53 PM
dphennis
Driver

IM going Sams club tomorrow at 4pm. they are going to install there sensors and see if they work. $42.00 each installed.
Old 07-20-18, 06:25 PM
jmcraney

IM going Sams club tomorrow at 4pm. they are going to install there sensors and see if they work. $42.00 each installed.
Good plan!
Old 07-21-18, 06:43 PM
dphennis
Driver

Sams could not do it either. Said my tires are rated for 95 and minimum for my car is 97. So i asked would if I took the rims and tires off my car and brought in. He said that would be fine except that since my rear tires are like 10 1/2 inches stretching the tires over 25 series tires is the next issue. The mechanic there thinks the guy that put my last sensors in broke them putting the tires back on. Their machine is reading a sensor but its failing everytime.
Old 07-21-18, 06:51 PM
jmcraney

I know that this has been frustrating for you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Old 07-21-18, 07:29 PM
dphennis
Driver

Yes, it has been very! I will get this fixed just a matter of how much money and time I'm willing to waste.
Old 07-24-18, 06:29 PM
dphennis
Driver

solved... i went to a different tire shop today and the guy synced my tpms in 5 minutes. the only thing he did differently than the other guys was hold the machine on my tire to read the sensor through the rubber, instead of through the rim. THEY WORK!~
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (07-25-18)
Old 07-25-18, 02:50 PM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

solved... i went to a different tire shop today and the guy synced my tpms in 5 minutes. the only thing he did differently than the other guys was hold the machine on my tire to read the sensor through the rubber, instead of through the rim. THEY WORK!~
Fwiw, if you get the id's he found for each one and write those down then get him to scan your OEM tires if you still have them and write those down too. Then get Carista app and OBD connector and you can DIY whenever you need to. Also change all your personal settings and diagnostic the car at home. The stealership charged me $100 bucks to turn off daytime running lights when I first got my LS. smh

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors