LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Another Reason Not To Go To The Stealership

Old 07-11-18, 05:29 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Another Reason Not To Go To The Stealership

So for the last month or so I've been getting the CEL with the code P0171. I took it to my mechanic and he said to just run some fuel injector cleaner. So I did and I also had him change the spark plugs. Got the car back and got the CEL again a few days later. Ran another bottle of fuel injector cleaner, cleared the codes but it came up again every few days after clearing. So I decided to take it to Lexus to diagnose and then have my mechanic do the work. So I took it in on 7/7 and they finally got back to me today 7/11 and sent me a quote for all the work that they recommend totaling a staggering $10.5k. I told them hold off on any work, I'll pick up the car after work. I still haven't resolved the issue because they told me they think it's a bad fuel injector but the list of other things they recommend be fixed is pretty extensive, control arms, tires, just to name a couple. Good thing the diagnostic cost is only $80 but I would never have them perform any work.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-18-18)
Old 07-11-18, 06:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Were they going to charge 10.5K just for a fuel injector or is that for everything they found? Either way it is highway robbery. I think some dealerships have competitions with each other who can gouge their customers the most with some of the prices they come up with, I thought Lexus was better then this.
Old 07-11-18, 06:19 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Were they going to charge 10.5K just for a fuel injector or is that for everything they found? Either way it is highway robbery. I think some dealerships have competitions with each other who can gouge their customers the most with some of the prices they come up with, I thought Lexus was better then this.
Right but, for $80 he got the diagnosis he wanted and can take that information and go to his indy repair shop.... temped to do this myself.

I agree though, $10,500 for a car that might be worth on the high end $16-20K is crazy...(if it was PERFECT and very low mileage)
Old 07-11-18, 11:01 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd have to imagine the $10.5k price tag would be due to them calling for the $1500-$2500 catalytic converters to be replaced?? Otherwise, I just can't imagine how they worked up to that number...
Old 07-12-18, 03:35 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I should've given more detail. They want $3,400 for the direct fuel injector if in worst case scenario they have to change all 8; $4,400 to change 6 front control arms; $1k for leaking fuel pump seals and $800 for 2 tires and an alignment. Plus taxes and miscellaneous supplies bringing the total to a hair under $10.5k.

Last edited by DarKnight; 07-13-18 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Corrected the number of control arms.
Old 07-12-18, 05:33 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume there isn’t no other code present? When I had the P0171 code, it was also accompanied by another one - proved to be a faulty oxygen sensor.
Old 07-12-18, 05:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

I still can't get over the fact that dealers are still charging 3k-4K for control arm replacement. It's a two hour job for an experienced tech. Tops.

And honestly im surprised dealers keep doing these type of write ups...I mean do people actually say, yeah fix it? I guess some people do.

There was a guy who posted a youtube video on a quote for $20,000 worth of repairs for a used Mercedes. The guy anaylized each thing they found wrong with it and gave an example on how to reduce the repair price by like 70%. Half the stuff they found wrong didn't even need to be replaced.
Old 07-12-18, 06:38 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The service writer gets 2 to 5% of the total bill (all commission no salary) and sometimes even a bonus if he goes over a predetermined goal for the pay period. Do you think he is incentified to take you to the cleaners? I like the $325 per tire when they are under $200 all day long at Discount Tire. Once you've driven off the city street and onto the dealer lot you have entered the kill zone.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-18-18)
Old 07-12-18, 12:12 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I still can't get over the fact that dealers are still charging 3k-4K for control arm replacement. It's a two hour job for an experienced tech. Tops.

And honestly im surprised dealers keep doing these type of write ups...I mean do people actually say, yeah fix it? I guess some people do.

There was a guy who posted a youtube video on a quote for $20,000 worth of repairs for a used Mercedes. The guy anaylized each thing they found wrong with it and gave an example on how to reduce the repair price by like 70%. Half the stuff they found wrong didn't even need to be replaced.
I kept seeing those quotes pop up on here but I thought to myself nah that can't be true until I saw for myself. Suspension and steering for the most part I can do myself so I won't even take it to my mechanic. Engine and transmission stuff I usually stay away from unless someone has instructions, a write-up or a video of how to do the fuel injectors.
Old 07-12-18, 12:14 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I agree though, $10,500 for a car that might be worth on the high end $16-20K is crazy...(if it was PERFECT and very low mileage)
I'm sure I can't get that much if I traded it in in good condition. I would rather sell the car as is than pay that much for repair work.
Old 07-12-18, 05:19 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Is it running badly? If not just reset the light when it comes on using a cheap OBD code reader. Bad gas perhaps? If it takes a few days to come on I would think it is not a major problem. Does it ever go off on its own? I would try the Italian tuneup.
Old 07-12-18, 05:38 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
I would try the Italian tuneup.
Lol, I do these usually at least once a day, if not more... keeps my LS running like a top
Old 07-12-18, 05:53 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
The service writer gets 2 to 5% of the total bill (all commission no salary) and sometimes even a bonus if he goes over a predetermined goal for the pay period. Do you think he is incentified to take you to the cleaners? I like the $325 per tire when they are under $200 all day long at Discount Tire. Once you've driven off the city street and onto the dealer lot you have entered the kill zone.
Kenny, what's your experience with service techs. I know at some Ferrari dealerships the tech is paid by the job, not an hourly rate. So it is to the tech's benefit to rush and do 3 jobs in a day rather than to do everything properly and only do 2 jobs in a day. Is this fairly common with other makes, if you know.
Old 07-12-18, 07:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Unfortunately yes, too many people just say fix it no matter how high the price, they either don't know any better and think they can't get a better price or they have the "gotta pay to play" mentality and will over pay for everything as long as they think it is worth it to them.

I have helped some people fix things when I hear they are getting gouged by the dealership, helped a gf with a VW Jetta with almost 5K worth of dealership issues should could not afford, it only cost me under $1000 to fix, service, and replace everything..
Old 07-13-18, 06:06 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Unfortunately yes, too many people just say fix it no matter how high the price, they either don't know any better and think they can't get a better price or they have the "gotta pay to play" mentality and will over pay for everything as long as they think it is worth it to them.

I have helped some people fix things when I hear they are getting gouged by the dealership, helped a gf with a VW Jetta with almost 5K worth of dealership issues should could not afford, it only cost me under $1000 to fix, service, and replace everything..
I suppose you're right, when I was younger I was a tech at a Saab dealer and those customers would come in and be absolutely giddy about dropping $2,000 on a service. But that was $2,000, not $10,000. I suppose I'm not accounting for inflation (this is 1990 I'm talking about). Inflation cost may be?? I don't know...$4,500 or so??

I was getting my car inspected the other day and I'm pretty friendly with the owner, he had a Hyundai up on the lift and it was all apart. They were putting a brand new transmission in it, the car had almost 300,000 miles on it and I was shocked someone would choose putting a brand new transmission in a car that is probably only worth $3,000. The owner said, I know but this job is only going to cost them $4,000, it beats them going out and putting a couple grand down on a new car and having a $300 a month car payment for the next five years. I asked him if he sees this a lot, he said yeah a fair amount of people do these large repairs to keep them on the road.

I never go that route, but I guess I can understand it to an extent. Does car value and mileage really mean anything anymore if you're commuting 30,000 miles a year and have almost 300,000 on your car? Probably not if it's in decent condition. Plus whatever you buy the next time will only quickly suffer the same fate anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Reason Not To Go To The Stealership