LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need instructions: lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 11:36 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need instructions: lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links

Is there instruction on changing out front lower ball joints? I know how to take off sway bar bushings- very easy. I searched and couldn't find it. I have metal hitting sound on the bottom left whenever I go over a dip or bump. I tightened them but after a trip to the dealership for a battery issue, the sound got worse.

I plan on changing the front 2 sway bar bushings, front 2 end links and 2 lower ball joints. Hopefully, that will get rid of my metal hitting sound. If I drive very slowly over dips or bumps, I don't hear the sound. My car is 134K miles. The front control arms top and bottom were both changed 40k miles ago at 96k miles. Control arms look ok. Bushings not torn.

Background history:
1. Anyone has techinfo.toyota.com on a CD? I am willing to pay. My techinfo.toyota.com 2 day subscription ran out before I had a chance to copy everything. I tried most of the website scrabber, downloader, etc. None of them works. Between 2 days I had, I spent 6 hours changing out Bank 2 Sensor 1 air fuel sensor. I will be putting an update. I had to replace it because it was a fake Denso part. I will also post up a new thread on how you can tell if your Denso part is real.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...moval-diy.html
2. I spent 6 hours changing one bank 2 sensor 1 sensor. Just one sensor. I drove the car and heard metal hitting sound whenever I went over dips and bumps. I tightened and bolts and nuts on suspension member reinforcement, end links and sway bar bushings. The sound went away. It came after trip from dealer. The dealer tech didn't find anything wrong with the battery. But the metal clunking sound got worse and louder after the trip to the dealer. hmm.
3. I went to a dealer for a free checkup on battery warranty. The only time I go to the dealer is if I get something for free or if my luck runs out I have to get parts from them. The battery is less than 2 years old. I couldn't start the car. I had to get a battery tender from walmart to charge the battery. It looks like I had drained it connecting it to techstream for 30 minutes. I didn't turn on the engine while it was connected to techstream.
4. I bought this car used. What is goodwill repair? Did the owner pay 50% or 0%? Service history says:
MAINTENANCE ~ ~GUEST PORTION
OF GOODWILL REPAIRS
~ ~ MISC.
MAINTENANCE ~ ~DURING LAST
INSPECTION FOUND THE FRONT
UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARM
BUSHINGS TORN. GOODWILL
ASSISTANCE
~ ~. ~ ~95997 840
REPLACE BOTH LEFT AND BOTH
RIGHT FRONT UPPER CONTROL
ARMS REPLACE BOTH FRONT
LOWERCONTROL ARMS

Picture of front stabilizer bar with sway bar bushing attached to passenger side front suspension member reinforcement.

and bumps. I tightened the nuts and bolts and the sound went away.

Picture of sway bar bushing-very easy to remove.

picture of passenger side front suspension member reinforcement.
Old 06-25-18, 10:01 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Update, I think the lower control arms and the ball joints come in one assembly.
Moog Front Left Lower Forward

If that's the case, I can just replace the lower arms and that will replace the ball joints. Looking at the service history, it looks like the ball joints were changed since the lower control arms were changed.

I have ordered end Links from Rockauto. Dealer parts are $95 each. Rockauto's $45 each:
MOOG K750172 Stabilizer Bar Link FRONT RIGHT
MOOG K750171 Stabilizer Bar Link FRONT LEFT

On Sway bar bushings, I am deciding if I should buy Febest from Amazon for $11 or go to OEM for $23 for each.
mylparts sway bar bushingPart Number: 48815-50200 qty 2.
or
Amazon link Febest TSB-USF40F Amazon link Febest TSB-USF40F

Changing sway bar bushings and stabilizer bar link should get rid of that metal hitting sound.

Please see the pictures. It looks like the lower control and ball joints are one piece.
Old 06-25-18, 10:28 AM
diamente
Pit Crew