Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600h L is a killer used deal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 01:45 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default LS600h L is a killer used deal

Sure, this is a ten-year old luxury car, but more importantly, it's a ten-year old Lexus, which means it'll still be reliable. Personally, I think they color combo is a little curious, and think that most of the fun here is reserved for the rear-seat passengers. But I still think it's a hell of a deal for the money. Check out more info here.
Old 06-22-18, 02:17 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

I couldn't agree more! That's what drew me back to the LS600hL! I paid $27,500 for a 1-owner 2010 model with 66k miles. The car originally stickered for $126,600, and had every conceivable Lexus option. I added a 6-year comprehensive warranty that covers virtually everything (air struts, suspension, electronics, stereo, even the hybrid batteries) - the warranty was $2800.

My car swaddles me in complete luxury, and the nearly silent drivetrain and the air ride suspension make this car a dream to drive (it would be even better to sit in the rear seat with the Ottoman up and a DVD in while being driven, but for now that's reserved for my 10-year old).

I would encourage anyone interested in a LS to consider one of the LS600hLs, especially now that the CNA extended warranty covers the hybrid batteries. I don't think the bang-for-the-buck can be beat in one of these cars!
The following 3 users liked this post by riknchar:
corpnupe85 (06-22-18), dlbuckls10 (06-22-18), Johnny Mayday (06-25-18)
Old 06-22-18, 02:43 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Ewww, Nicotine Yellow! Pass, the reason why it is a good deal.
Old 06-22-18, 03:09 PM
riknchar
Instructor

I don't think the point of the article was about that specific yellowish LS600hL, but about how that model has become a bargain on the used-car market. There are almost always nice LS600hLs to be had on CarGurus in the $20-25k price range (like the one in the article). I kind of enjoy my "golden" colored SC430, but tend to agree that the yellow/brown color isn't very desirable...
Old 06-22-18, 05:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It may be a killer deal but it is also the biggest potential money pit in the Lexus lineup with some huge costs if the hybrid battery goes, if there is a problem with other hybrid components, all of them have air suspension and since it is so much heavier then a regular Lexus that means the air shocks will go prematurely too along with the control arms, it all adds up. You may get one for a great price but it could end up costing you a ton a money if things fail. Something to consider
Old 06-23-18, 05:14 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I was looking at a couple 600s when I was shopping but was quickly scared away with the battery issue. I even looked in the Prius forums to figure out how hard it would be to change the cells myself. There was just not many ppl who could attest to the reliability of the battery in these cars at the time so I went with the 460.
Old 06-25-18, 04:38 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I added a 6-year comprehensive warranty that covers virtually everything (air struts, suspension, electronics, stereo, even the hybrid batteries) - the warranty was $2800.
That's the way to do it! And your ten-year old sure is lucky!
Old 06-25-18, 06:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It may be a killer deal but it is also the biggest potential money pit in the Lexus lineup with some huge costs if the hybrid battery goes, if there is a problem with other hybrid components, all of them have air suspension and since it is so much heavier then a regular Lexus that means the air shocks will go prematurely too along with the control arms, it all adds up. You may get one for a great price but it could end up costing you a ton a money if things fail. Something to consider
Thats why you get a warranty like riknchar did
Old 06-26-18, 09:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats why you get a warranty like riknchar did
And how much does a extended warranty cost on a 10 year old car/hybrid LS which must be factored into the price, how long does the warranty last (will they cover past 100K miles/10 years and will it last longer then 3 or 4 years or 6 years), are you certain they are going to cover everything or will they try to get out of certain things like many do, what kind of replacement parts will they be using, where are you able to get the vehicle repaired, will they still charge you a portion for each repair, what if something expensive goes right out of that warranty, etc?

Not all extended warranties are equal, $2800 for 6 years does seem pretty good for the hybrid LS as long as it goes past 100K miles, hopefully it works out for him.
Old 06-26-18, 11:11 AM
riknchar
Instructor

And how much does a extended warranty cost on a 10 year old car/hybrid LS which must be factored into the price, how long does the warranty last (will they cover past 100K miles/10 years and will it last longer then 3 or 4 years or 6 years), are you certain they are going to cover everything or will they try to get out of certain things like many do, what kind of replacement parts will they be using, where are you able to get the vehicle repaired, will they still charge you a portion for each repair, what if something expensive goes right out of that warranty, etc?

Not all extended warranties are equal, $2800 for 6 years does seem pretty good for the hybrid LS as long as it goes past 100K miles, hopefully it works out for him.
UDel, Those are all questions I asked when I was considering purchasing the CNA warranty. After doing research, I concluded that the CNA company was about as reputable as I would find in this business. My deal was for 6 years/48K miles, which will take me to May of 2024. I drive this car around 8k miles per year (I have an SC430 for summer drives, and a Ram 1500 for when the weather is sloppy), so I'll get the full 6 years worth of warranty. My car had 66k miles when the warranty started, so it will cover me until the car has 114K miles. The car will be 14 years old when the warranty expires. I was told that OEM parts would be authorized, and that I could use my local Lexus dealer for any necessary repairs. My contract specifically states that the hybrid batteries are covered (which is very unusual), and I'm definitely covered for all electronics, motors, air suspension, control arms, brake actuators, etc. I do have a $200 deductible, which I'm fine with, and I paid $2800 for the warranty.

It remains to be seen how well CNA will pay out for claims when things break. I know several forum members purchased the CNA warranty, but I haven't heard of any who have had to actually use the warranty yet. I intend to be unrelenting in my demand that CNA honor the contract I signed with them, and from what I can tell, I think they will be reasonable to work with.

I think a warranty like CNA's is a pretty good idea for anyone buying an older LS600hL. These cars are complex, and have some known expensive failure points (air shocks, brake actuators, control arms, ML amp, hybrid batteries, etc.). For me, though, I've invested just over $30K to be able to drive a $130K car for the next 6 years relatively worry free, and I'm very happy to own the LS600hL!
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 03:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Its all up there, its $2,800. Again, if you aren't prepared for the sort of issues that a car like thus can bring then you shouldn't be buying a car like this. Seeing that its $100,000 less than its original price, if you are prepared for these sorts of things, then its a heck of a deal. Its not going to cost $100,000 in repairs lol.

Buying any used car has risks, and especially any used expensive advanced luxury car.
Old 06-27-18, 02:12 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its all up there, its $2,800. Again, if you aren't prepared for the sort of issues that a car like thus can bring then you shouldn't be buying a car like this. Seeing that its $100,000 less than its original price, if you are prepared for these sorts of things, then its a heck of a deal. Its not going to cost $100,000 in repairs lol.

Buying any used car has risks, and especially any used expensive advanced luxury car.
Well said. I have known many people who have purchase a used luxury imports like MB, BMW, Audi, Range Rover etc. but they were not prepared for those expensive repairs. Many ended up losing their luxury imports because they couldn't afford the expensive repairs. When I purchased my 460 several years I got the extended warranty and I'm so glad I did.
Old 06-27-18, 02:23 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, I think only $2800 for such a comprehensive warranty is actually a good deal and a lot of peace of mind.

Congratulations, you are getting superb luxury car, enjoy!
Old 06-28-18, 06:17 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by colfax
Well, I think only $2800 for such a comprehensive warranty is actually a good deal and a lot of peace of mind.

Congratulations, you are getting superb luxury car, enjoy!
Thanks Colfax! I pretty much never buy extended warranties on anything, knowing that the warranty company is going to "win" 9 times out 10 (or more). But for the LS600hL, I really think it may pan out to be a good investment, given the complexity of the systems and the known failures of some of the pricey components. We'll see. Doesn't really matter now, anyway, since I've already bought it. I am really enjoying the car!